Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey BGG,
I have a really easy time getting my gaming group to play cooperative games. We play a lot of Battlestar, Ghost Stories, Yggdrasil, etc.

That being said, is there any game you'd compare Conquest of Planet Earth to, as far as the cooperative mode is concerned?
I've heard it's very light and kind of random, which worries me. I definitely prefer a game with some strong tactical choices, but I can also make an exception if the theme is strong.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme is very strong, but I would not say this game is strategic or tactical. You have action points per turn, so in that way you have tactics... but you never know how strong a resistance you'll be fighting or what cards your opponent will play, so don't ever count on any battle condition as reliable.

I'd say it comes closest to Arkham Horror, not in terms of gameplay, but in that sometimes its all about the story and having fun with the theme, not necessarily about the winning. Imagine playing a lighter version of Arkham Horror if the monsters were different and random each time you fought them, and that comes close enough to picture whether you would enjoy it or not.

Oh, and the monsters grow more powerful if you don't keep them in check. (Arkham Horror should do that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That gives me a pretty good idea of what to expect, thank you. I enjoy arkham, enough to have bought every expansion, but that's mostly because I'm a big lovecraft fan.

I think I'll continue to look for conquest in trades, but it sounds like a game I'd be disappointed in buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I just finished our first cooperative with the game. We had the same helpless feeling you get when playing Arkham and the GOO is really against you. We definitely got the Arkham feel from it as the coop rules seem to mimic Arkham except players complete all their phases one at a time rather than together as in Arkham.

In addition we found the resistance counters to be very similar to the monsters in Arkham but they seem to come out and get in the way more than in Arkham.

The crushing defeat mechanic is very random and can really destroy any tactical plans you have set. But can also allow you to achieve victory in the toughest of situations.

It gave us the same feel as Arkham, but with a little more randomness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
lordrahvin wrote:
The theme is very strong, but I would not say this game is strategic or tactical. You have action points per turn, so in that way you have tactics... but you never know how strong a resistance you'll be fighting or what cards your opponent will play, so don't ever count on any battle condition as reliable.

I'd say it comes closest to Arkham Horror, not in terms of gameplay, but in that sometimes its all about the story and having fun with the theme, not necessarily about the winning. Imagine playing a lighter version of Arkham Horror if the monsters were different and random each time you fought them, and that comes close enough to picture whether you would enjoy it or not.

Oh, and the monsters grow more powerful if you don't keep them in check. (Arkham Horror should do that.)

This game is nothing like Arkham Horror. In fact, one of my complaints about CoPE is that its way too simple when playing cooperatively.

I'd say this game needs an expansion which fixes how easy cooperative play can be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
The game shares a couple of things with Arkham Horror (and I am the biggest fan of that game ever).

In co-op the Event deck serves the same function as the Mythos cards. It will generally do something to screw you over and change your plans.

The Resistance works like the monsters in Arkham, with some sitting in places where you dont want them and others roaming about causing you problems until you deal with them.

The scale is different, you are defending your landing ground (resistance will move in there if left unchecked) and you are also moving towards the capital city (to win the game since the point value is so high in most cases).

Its a smaller and much quicker experience, but it really is a very good game. The best part is the three play modes, co-op, solo and against each other. Arkham is only designed to play one way (with alot of variety though) while Conquest is far more casual about its core nature.

Its a quick enough experience and you mostly come out with war stories.

My favorite is when I decided on a sneaky teleport and moved my entire fleet into the human capital. The humans where suprised, slaughtered and overpowered, I giggled like a maniac until I realized that an allied race had encountered a geologist and military scientists with a backup plan in case they got attacked.

That backup plan was to give no ground, leave nothing to the enemy and nuke their own damn capital (they caused an event card to be drawn).

I lost my entire fleet, and me and my partner had to scramble to salvage victory from the ashes of ruin.

I like this game, and that Arkham feeling is right there when I play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the story, North_Wolf. Sounds like a blast!
Since creating this thread I've tracked down the Conquest expansion Conquest of Planet Earth: Apocalypse, though I haven't had much luck getting my game group to even play the base game. Hopefully soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.