4 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Great 5 player experience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Corbato

Texas
msg tools
So I just finished a 5 player game where everyone had played before and there were no rules that needed to be taught, just a quick refresher on the fine points. We added a house rule that all garrisons in the south are +1 from what was stated on the garrison cards. We also played with ToB cards for the first time.

Early game -
Went as most games do, Stark collecting the Moat and a supply, Greyjoy, Lannister, and Martel took a castle or two, and Baratheon took Kings Landing. An alliance between Greyjoy and Lannister formed after turn three when they realized that it was pointless for them to squabble in the neck the entire game. Martel and Baratheon formed a 'non-aggression' pact where Baratheon would let Martell have south if he left Baratheon alone. Stark had it tough losing the Moat to Greyjoy on a ToB flop.

Mid game -
By this point, everyone but Stark had at least three castles with Greyjoy and Baratheon being at the top of the heap. There were tons of musters in this game so everyone had a massive amount of units to throw around. Martel had taken some of the south and realized that the +1 on each territory was making it a harder go than expected and was turning to defend against an encroaching Lannister and to try and stifle Baratheon. Stark and Greyjoy were at each others throat and viciously trading castles turn to turn. Baratheon is able to take a Harrenhal from Lannister and force a retreat to the neck moving him to six castles.

Last turn - Turn 8
Supply, Track Bidding, No support Orders

Supply doesnt really change anything for many players, Martel is forced to lose one ship after losing a barrel to Lannister. Track bidding happens and playing as Baratheon I need the battle tie breaker and at least one star token. I go almost all out (saving two) power to try and get the fiefdom track and I'm successful. Spend one and beat out Martel who bid zero to get one star token allowing three attacks. Then my saving grace, the no support order card comes up, they are all going to have to take swipes at Baratheon one on one.

First, Martel tries to take Storms End from Starfall hoping that a ToB card will fall his way but is unsuccessful. Lannister tries to take The Reach from the Blackwater and I pull that one out by using my Fiefdom sword to keep the territory. I use two ships to to take the Narrow sea from Stark to set up my finishing blow. Martel tries to take The Reach from the Dornish Marches but also falls to my two knights, and Lannister tries and fails to take Harrenhal from Riverun. I then use my attack order in The Reach to move the 2 knights to the Kingswood and place a power token on the reach. My following attack order sends the two knights to White Harbor which is garrisoned by two Stark knights and I am able to take it to win the game on a battle tie because I am higher on the Fiefdom track than Stark.

Ending thoughts:
This game was amazing, it is one of the best gaming experiences that I have ever had. Everyone knew the cards, everyone knew the rules, alliances were formed and dissolved, and a large sense of "STOP THAT GUY FROM WINNING AT ALL COSTS" happened in the last several turns. It took a perfect storm of cards at the end to allow me to win, and there was no way I would have been able to survive a turn 9 if it had happened.

As for the imbalance that most people normally find in 4-5 player games, it was somewhat negated by the +1 on the garrisons. Baratheon and Martel could no longer use a single knight and supporting ship to roll through the south. It effectively forces you to create an army to count against your supply limit which can be difficult to juggle early game.

Our group was split on the ToB cards. It does add a lot of aggression in hopes of catching a helpful card, but it also 'ruins' strategy as people will do things they normally wouldn't hoping for luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report! Which house were you in this game? Greyjoy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nice report sir. A couple of points/questions:

- I think by garrisons you mean neutral tokens?
- By Martel do you mean Tyrell? Or did you just not include Tyrell in your 5 player game?
- How long did your game take in the end? Am interested in how long a game of 'veterans' might take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Corbato

Texas
msg tools
You are right on the first two points, garrisons are neutral forces and if I said Martel I actually meant Tyrell. They sound so similar.

Play time was just at 3 hours, but it was probably that high due to the incredible number of units on the board and subsequent combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.