Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a bit confused about how to go about reinforcing the Bourbon forces that begin the game once Savoy goes over to the Alliance. Does the Bourbon Army lose all of its LOC's (I am thinking that the British take the Med quickly), and thus not able to reinforce with new units or bring current forces up to strength? What am I missing in the rules?

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly like that, I'm afraid. Fight your way through Tyrol to Bavaria or your way through Savoy to France.

Alternatively, abandon north italy early (before Savoy switches sides) and retain that army for invading Savoy after it did ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be ready to besiege cities in Savoy in order to reopen the supply line between France and Italy. Also, build the Toulon fleet and dice for control of the Med. Dealing with loss of LOC between France and Italy is one of the strategic problems in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren and Kris, thank you both for your prompt and helpful replies.

My early impressions are favourable, despite the RISK style of bucket o' dice combat (never was a fan). The game presents both sides with more options and challenges than resources capable of meeting. It seems to have depth in keeping with the strategic choices.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buckets o' dice didn't seem so bad to me in Axis & Allies, as there were a variety of pieces with different "to hit" numbers. But it is a little bland when all the troops hit on the same number, and all of the leader values are simply added as more dice. I like that it gets rid of tables with odds columns. However, it would have been nice if leaders gave a "die reroll option" as in VG The Civil War instead of simply adding more dice. Might experiment with that at some point.

The combat seems designed to be fast, and also to show the attitude of the period that field battles were risky affairs. But this might reduce the replay value after perhaps 15 or 20 games, as the field battles might not be so interesting after many plays. But I'm hoping that this game will be good for about 25 plays at least, in spite of the buckets o' dice battle resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.