Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some unknown reason, I have been looking forward to getting this game more than any other game I can remember. Perhaps it's because I don't buy that many games - my Cult of the New mania is fed by one of my regular gaming friends who buys games like Donald Trump buys toupees. Maybe it's my love of 4X (eXploration, eXpansion, eXfoliation, eXegesis, I think) games.

Whatever the cause, I had pre-ordered it shipped to my office and I was sorely disappointed to find out it UPS was going to get it there by last Friday... with my office closed Friday through Monday for Christmas. Doh! So I didn't get the package until yesterday, and by the time I got it home, I was practically vibrating with anticipation over opening it. Herewith, a brief accounting of the components.

My God, it's full of bits!

Many many (many) cardboard bits. They came from here:

Yes, that is eleven - count 'em, ELEVEN - sheets of thick cardboardy goodness. My back still hurts from hunching over the tale punching the bits out and sorting them.

Here are the building blocks of the contested galaxy:

The top rank has Inner (I), Middle (II), and Outer (III) sectors, to be placed by intrepid exploration. The bottom has the Galactic Center and six essentially identical player start hexes.

But wait, there's more to Eclipse than 14 million pieces of cardboard! There's also WOOD and PLASTIC!

Seven colors of cubes (33 each of yellow, black, green, red, blue, and white for players; some smaller number of purple for damage). Six colors of disks (15 in each player color). Three colors of octagonal cylinders (six - one for each player - of pink, orange, and brown to track resources). A turn marker and a first player marker.

Six colors of plastic spaceships (two Dreadnoughts, four Cruisers and eight Fighters in each player color).

They're all mixed up in the photo. Did I mention how much my back ached? More hunching over the table to separate them. Ow.

Team Yellow leading the way, with the lesser colors arrayed behind them.

And of course...the dice.

Not pictured: two, yes two velour bags - a large one for mixing up technology tiles and a smaller one for mixing up VP tiles.

Next up, the Supply Board, holding the available technologies, purchasable ship parts, and various and sundry other common goods. Here it's set up for a three-player game (as shown by the number of starting technologies available in the three rows near the top):

Each player gets a Player Board, too. On one side, we have the six Human factions, each with a corresponding color and angry expression:

The Red Human's awesome 'stache suggests this is a game about space exploration in the 1970's.

The humans are all identical in game mechanics terms. On their flipsides are the aliens.

I'm sure they're very friendly.

The aliens have specialized differences from the base humans. The designers advise sticking with humans for the first game. Silly designers!

Anyway, here's what a Player Board looks like at the beginning of the game - influence disks, population cubes, resource cylinders, and angry scowl all in their proper places:

Yellow, obviously destined for a glorious victory!

The galaxy set-up begins with each player on a start hex arrayed around the Galactic Center. Here's the three-player starting arrangement, with Yellow ready to face off against eventual losers Black and Green:

Note the fine wood grain of the Universe

Finally, the rulebook.

Big, thick pages. Filled with words. Delicious!

Overall, the unveiling did not disappoint. The quality of all the components is very high, so I feel the hefty price tag was justified. I won't get a chance to play until probably tomorrow night (dash it all!), but in the meantime I have to fight the urge to take the game out of the box and just fondle it for a while.

What, too much information?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why fight it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Why fight it?

I have children in the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
This post is eXfoliating with greatness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow looks really cool, still waiting in australia for the game to hit the stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
The galaxy set-up begins with each player on a start hex arrayed around the Galactic Center. Here's the three-player starting arrangement, with Yellow ready to face off against eventual losers Black and Green:

Note the fine wood grain of the Universe

Be careful... the rotation of one of the home sectors is wrong. The setup diagram in the rulebook shows a specific rotation as well as location for each of the start sectors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Carroll
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jesters_race wrote:
wow looks really cool, still waiting in australia for the game to hit the stores.

Agonizing, isn't it! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Runyan
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brokasaphasia wrote:

Be careful... the rotation of one of the home sectors is wrong. The setup diagram in the rulebook shows a specific rotation as well as location for each of the start sectors.

NEEEEEERRRRRD!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
Chin chin!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too. Got my copy today and felt the need to lay it out on the table photograph it on my phone and MMS my friends detailing what they were looking at

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
jpwrunyan wrote:
brokasaphasia wrote:

NEEEEEERRRRRD!!!!!!!

You have no idea the depths of my nerdliness devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Robinson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I received mine yesterday as well. Two hours of hunched back bit picking goodness..Woot! I was a bit disappointed that at the end of it all I was short Orbital/Monoliths and had a surplus of Green Starbase's. After a quick look over the forums I found this to be normal in the first editions. I have read the FANTASTIC rule book 3x and am ready to establish my galactic dominance tomorrow night. I hope everybody enjoys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
triguy wrote:
I received mine yesterday as well. Two hours of hunched back bit picking goodness..Woot! I was a bit disappointed that at the end of it all I was short Orbital/Monoliths and had a surplus of Green Starbase's. After a quick look over the forums I found this to be normal in the first editions. I have read the FANTASTIC rule book 3x and am ready to establish my galactic dominance tomorrow night. I hope everybody enjoys!

Hmm... I don't think I have the component issues you have, but I'm not sure. (And as I'm at work right now, I can't check.) How many Orbitals/Monoliths should there be?

Also, as a partially color-blind person, I was only flummoxed by one set of components - the starbases. I think they would have been well-advised to make the color differences more pronounced, as it was really difficult for me to differentiate some of them based on the limited colored space on the tokens. (Blue, yellow, white, and black were reasonably easy; red and green not so much.) So I may have extra green starbases and not realize it.

Side note: Playing TONIGHT (fingers crossed). Why the hell am I so giddy about this? I'm like a preteen girl at a Justin Bieber concert (although marginally less tearful).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Robinson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
The rules state 27 Orbital/Monoliths but I only had 21. I also had 4 extra green starbases but there was an extra cardboard sheet with 4 blues. I used the 4 extra green and two blanks to make up the difference in Orbitals. This morning I looked at the FAQ forum and it stated that 21 Orbitals is plenty and that the book was misprinted. It also said that the 4 extra bases was a flaw with the first edition sheets and that is why the 4 blue mini blister was included.

Colors--I am not too color blind but I agree. Unless you are really looking I have a hard time with the White and Black Starbases.

Last note: I am also giddy like a teenager...crazy..over a boardgame.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
Golux13 wrote:
Hmm... I don't think I have the component issues you have, but I'm not sure. (And as I'm at work right now, I can't check.) How many Orbitals/Monoliths should there be?

The amount is wrong in the rulebook, check the FAQ thread for the correct amount (21 iirc). Given they come on die cut sheets, it's really hard to imagine anyone actually having the wrong amount.

Quote:
Also, as a partially color-blind person, I was only flummoxed by one set of components - the starbases.

In practice there is no real need to distinguish the starbases by color. They don't move, so they're always the same color as the influence disk in the hex. (In theory there is a need for the colors since you could pick up the disk from a hex where you'd built bases. But I doubt that is ever going to happen in a real game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each sheet has a spot for 2 colony ships, so you should have 22 in total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.