Popular Tags: [View All]
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there are already comparison/contrasts going on with Star Trek: Fleet Captains, but I'm wondering as far as being a purely tactical starship miniatures game....shouldn't we be considering A Call to Arms: Star Fleet?

I'd love to hear thoughts on how these two may compare.... (I only want to make one purchase )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Mathes
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If ACTA Star Fleet is anything like Babylon 5 a call to Arms, as the name and developer suggest, and if you want a purely tactical game, go for ACTA, hands down.

In my experience, which is limited admittedly, hero clix is more of a light game that will be limited in your tactical decisions based on the particular click your ships are currently in.

Or rather think of it this way, most of your decisions in the clix series will likely be about the usage of special abilities, whereas things like facing will likely matter little.

ACTA will more probably feature more depth to basic tactical decisions such as facing, maneuvers, which weapons you want to bring to bear, and the like.

The hero clix version is probably going to be a LOT cheaper though.

Oh, and then there is the universe differences too, there are some licensing things which someone else can probably explain better, but the Star Fleet universe of A Call To Arms and Federation Commander is slightly different from the official Star Trek universe. So if you're really keen on getting Voyager on the table top, you may prefer the clix version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yagami 225 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback..great points.

As far as cost...I assume you're saying that because of the high cost of a full "fleet" box for ACTA? Although, when measured against the potential high cost of buying clix blind purchase...maybe they are closer than you would think?

How about using the clix ships for ACTA? Saves on assembly/painting....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Mathes
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
Yagami 225 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback..great points.

As far as cost...I assume you're saying that because of the high cost of a full "fleet" box for ACTA? Although, when measured against the potential high cost of buying clix blind purchase...maybe they are closer than you would think?

How about using the clix ships for ACTA? Saves on assembly/painting....

Good point, if you're going to blind buy till you have the set, I can see you setting yourself back more. I guess by cheaper, I had in mind just an entry point. It will likely be cheaper to get one starter set for Clix than a fleet box is more what I had in mind.

I guess I can't speak to using the Clix models in ACTA. While almost certainly possible, again it's just a matter of preference. From the previews of the clix, it doesn't look like they will have a strong presence from the Romulans, so it would be harder to proxy Klingon Clix ships for them thematically. I'm not sure if any re-basing would be required or not. So yeah, I'm sure it's possible if you're looking at Federation vs Klingons and don't want to spend time painting, just depends on how authentic you want the experience to be.

Personally, I'm thinking of re-basing them on hexes and using them with Hydra Miniature's War Rocket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.