Popular Tags: [View All]
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On December 27, 2011, A.D., at 9:26pm EST, 4 men from northeast Ohio entered boardgaming history at Underhill's Games in Cuyahoga Falls, OH:

DAMILLI'S 26th GAME OF DIE MACHER!

Craig (CDU), Bill (PDS), Brendan (FDP) and myself (SPD, as always) started after the annual BOGA leaders meeting around 5pm. The game started out with 3 of the largest states on the opening board, Bayern (60VP), Baden-W├╝rttemberg (54VP) and Nordrhein-Westfalen (80VP) and was hotly contested from the beginning. The PDS managed to win the important first election, but the SPD was able to pull off the win in the second one. In the third election in Schleswig-Holstein (32VP), PDS and SPD ran as a coalition, but unfortunately the PDS forgot to put a Media marker on the board which denied them their spot on the election track.

Flush with lots of cash, the fourth election was fought for the highest scoring state in Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen. Nobody could afford to lose any ground here as a whopping 80VP were at stake. Unfortunately, the FDP had doubled the anti-Euro very effectively early on and I was pro-Euro. In addition to that, being already the perceived leader, the SPD was trended down by the CDU in this so important region. Nevertheless, when it came down to chosing coalitions, the FDP chose to align with with the SPD instead of being forced into a coalition with the CDU. With only being able to convert at 1/2, the SPD rode its coalition partner's coattails to victory and managed to bunker 48VP with the use of the Kanzler and Aussenminister. Election 5 was won by the CDU.

At this point in the game, the favours turned on the SPD. Of course, now having 3 Media markers in a row on the election track, the SPD had managed to paint a big red target crosshair on their back. They were subsequently trended down for the sixth election in Sachsen (46VP) and were not able to score a single vote there. The PDS won and changed the national opinion board in their favor. At this point in the game, it looked like the CDU was going to make a nice comeback victory.

The last election was in Bremen. Due to a dwindled down exchange pool (only 1 card left, we might have played this wrong) and the small VP value, nobody had really invested much. The FDP was able to pull off a close victory with mandates in the mid-twenties.

At the end, it all came down to a very close race. CDU had won the race for mandates by 65VP over the SPD in last place. However, because they only won one a single election (vs. 3 by the SPD), the SPD was able to recoup 40VP in that category. The lead in party base gave the SPD another 15VP so that the initial CDU lead melted down to 10VP. As so often, the final 2 elections and their changes to the national opinion board were the decisive factor. Although the national opinions were pretty evenly distributed overall, the SPD managed to squeak out a 2VP (!) win over the CDU in this last category!

It was truly a worthy 26th game!

I AM DA KING OF DIE MACHER!

P.S.: For some background on this little competition of mine, please check out my 2011 Top 10 BGG resolutions geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How excellent that you are able to play this at all! (I have maybe 10 plays, but only one in the last 5 years) Nice report, and nice victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YAY!!!

Now the most important question: did you play with the beer copy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. It is all dried up and perfectly fine to play. No hops aroma to speak off left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaMilli wrote:
Yes. It is all dried up and perfectly fine to play. No hops aroma to speak off left.

That's awesome. You should consider framing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want hops smell on auction cards. Having a long sniff before bidding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to go, Michael! Nice job on the resolution!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am da king of Die Macher
Oh, Die Macher VIP
I've reached the top and had to stop
And that's what's botherin' me
I wanna be a real game playah
Stroll into game venues
Sit down at any table
I'm tired of pushin' cubes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Tennant
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Congrats Michael....it was an honor for me to organize the game for us and to be a part of your historical legacy! This game ROCKS.....when can we play again? How about this MON????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am up for any gaming this Monday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.