Eric Alvarado
United States
Haverstraw
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok... so I have a ton of games (>1500) that I have collected over the past few years. However, I don't have the space any more and have not been playing games recently. Plus there are new games that look very interesting. At first, I was in a collector mindset holding onto games that are out of print and that I might want to play. But now, I would like to sell them so that they get used and to get some of my money back. With that a few questions to the community:

1. Is there a link that shows how to sell or geekbay games? With that is there a recommended text block for geekbay?
2. How do you choose what to sell and what to keep? Top 1000? Most played? Thoughts?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a few people set up a geeklist to auction off their games. Tom Vasel has one going right now - Vasel Family Games for Sale!. This would give you control of starting bids and let you add games at a manageable pace.

If you are into geekgold, you could put some up in the Games For Geekgold lotteries - Games for Geekgold January 2012 - Coming Full Circle.

There's always the Marketplace, but that may take a while to get some sold.

As far as what to sell, I'd start with the ones that you've haven't played in ages. My collection is approaching 250, so I can't imagine the amount of space that 1,500 games would take up. Maybe set a goal of what rooms in the house you want to reclaim. You could have a "I need my office back" auction, then a "We need the guest bedroom back" auction, a "So, we do have a pantry" auction, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see from your avatar that you are from the DC area. One option would be to go to PrezCon in Charlottesville VA in late February. They have a large well run game auction and flea market there on either Friday or Saturday. You might not quite get top dollar, but it is pretty much cash and carry, no hassle about responding to email/Geekmail and most important IMO, dealing with shipping a ton of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep track of how many times I've played games, and, more importantly, how recently I've played them.

I try to keep all of my games "in the rotation". If I haven't played a game in a while, and I don't really want to play it (compared to my other games), I consider trading or selling it - unless I have some other justification for keeping it (e.g. Ticket to Ride and Zooloretto are good gateway games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
In order:

1) Sell all the bad games you have. Are you really going to play "Battle of the sexes" over all those other games you have? I thought so.

2) Sell all the games that your group can't fit. Can you play Civilization or Diplomacy? Or perhaps you have two dozen "gateway" games that you will never play?

3) Sell all the redundant games Do you need Volldampf if you have Age of Steam? Do you need Daytona500 if you have Formula D?

4) Sell all the mediocre games. Sure Dampfross is not bad but it's not amazing either, why not play something more fun?

That alone should cut you hundreds of games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine where I would put 1500 games, but I am also thinking of trimming my collection.

I think you should start by filtering the games you haven't played in the past year. Given that you've had an entire run of family gatherings/birthdays and so on in that time, you're unlikely either to play them again or to miss them, so let them go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one bookshelf that I fill with games. If a new game comes in, it needs to find space (usually by an old game going out). This gives me two levels of checks: do I think I'm going to want the new game more than any of my current games? If so, which of my current games would I be most comfortable getting rid of? This keeps me between 40-50 games (including expansions).

I've also found that selling off my used games can sometimes be profitable. Because of this, I no longer hesitate to buy a game that I really want to try. I view myself as almost renting games, rather than buying them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
If you don't want Stone Age any more, you can send it to me.

One down!

In all seriousness, if it were me, I would first go through all of them and set aside all the games that I absolutely couldn't part with for some reason (as hard as that may be).

Then, go through the remaining games and ask yourself if you'll ever play it again. If not... why keep it? The only thing there is, you'll get rid of a certain game and then get the urge to play it some day, lol.

Good luck man... that sounds like a job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alvarado
United States
Haverstraw
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips.

Anyone have any tips specific to Geekbay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i hope to get here one day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.