Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Smith
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious what you guys do when a game you bought never makes it onto the table. I have several games I liked enough to buy, but they aren't things my gaming group would play and my wife isn't as enthusiastic about games as I am (although I could possibly beg enough for her to sit in and play). So, primarily these games gather dust because I've got no one willing to play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sell it! I sold 400 of my 1000 games earlier this year for this reason. BGG has several ways for you to sell games - the Marketplace for a long-term sale, or an auction for a faster sale (but most likely less money).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Math Trades!

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/287152/math-trades-for-dummi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add Games For Geekgold to the list - Games for Geekgold January 2012 - Coming Full Circle.

I've auctioned off a few games there and used the to bid on ones to add to the collection. I've won 6 so far.

The aforementioned math trades are really good too. I've come up with some really great games this way. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Collect them until you need to get a bigger house with more closet space!!!

No One Can Touch My Preciouses!!!!!!!!

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few games like that. I think I'm going to try and sell them for a cheap price. The other day we tried playing Britannia again, the first time we played was months ago, and it took the whole day to finish, and then this time we decided to abandon it because it was going to take too long again. It's a great game in that its a lot of fun to play, but it just takes too much investment in terms of the time it takes to set aside to play it. My friend said to sell it for half price and get another game we are more likely to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Smith
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting rid of the game is the easy answer. I could have done that without posting for suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
bamf226 wrote:
I'm curious what you guys do when a game you bought never makes it onto the table. I have several games I liked enough to buy, but they aren't things my gaming group would play and my wife isn't as enthusiastic about games as I am (although I could possibly beg enough for her to sit in and play). So, primarily these games gather dust because I've got no one willing to play them.

One word: solo.

Try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bamf226 wrote:
Getting rid of the game is the easy answer. I could have done that without posting for suggestions.

Be nicer to people and you might have more people to play with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
TheMonsterSaysRawr wrote:
bamf226 wrote:

Why do you think the guy was not nice? He cut straight to the answer. Frankly, why do people insist on asking ridiculous questions. If you have a game that no one wants to play....you can:

a) Keep the game for collection sake.
b) Convince your group to play it.
c) Get rid of it however you want (trade, auction, craigslist, giving it away, contest....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoC1909 wrote:
TheMonsterSaysRawr wrote:
bamf226 wrote:

Why do you think the guy was not nice? He cut straight to the answer. Frankly, why do people insist on asking ridiculous questions. If you have a game that no one wants to play....you can:

a) Keep the game for collection sake.
b) Convince your group to play it.
c) Get rid of it however you want (trade, auction, craigslist, giving it away, contest....)

or solo the game or find others who will play the game with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
bamf226 wrote:

Try it.

Agreed. That's what I try to do. I don't mind solo playing a game with hidden information either, if it means I'll get some experience with the game. I look for games that can be played solo, whether through design or variant, just in case they don't work out with my game group and wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:
whac3 wrote:
bamf226 wrote:

Try it.

Agreed. That's what I try to do. I don't mind solo playing a game with hidden information either, if it means I'll get some experience with the game. I look for games that can be played solo, whether through design or variant, just in case they don't work out with my game group and wife.

I dislike solo games; rather I play muli-player games solo, playing all sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've probably got 150+ games that fall into this category...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a radical strategy: stop buying new games. Eventually all of your old games will seem new because there won't be anything else that you haven't played. Constantly buying new games is a hinderance to getting the other games in your collection, that don't have the hype factor, to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Patriss
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might not fit into your dilemma completely but if you have a FLGS you can hit up their BG nights. I bring games I want to get to the table that the wife might not be into, and occasionally they actually hit the table.

There are usually tons of people like us/you who cannot always find players and the BG community as a whole (as we well know) rocks so hit up those BG nights you might get lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it may be better to buy games your friends enjoy, rather than buying games that you enjoy.
Unless you are lucky enough to have access to several gaming groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy more game shelves...

Math trades, manual trades and geeklist auctions all work too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Smith
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*sigh* ok, so aside from getting rid of the game, the only other option seems to be solo play. I don't really know for sure how that works as I would always know what I wanted to do as the other player(s).

To me, getting rid of any game I want to play is not an option. The reason I own the game is because I want to play it. I don't buy new games on a whim. I buy maybe 1 game a year (if that) and it has to be something I really, really like. These are games I would play every week if I had the opportunity, but their popularity in the gaming community isn't very high.

My gaming group consists of 25-30 regulars that occupy a prominent location at the same local, popular, national retailer every week. I'm not talking about me and just a couple of my closest buddies when I ask this.

Perhaps the question here should be how do you persuade your gaming group to play (more than an initial attempt) that game you like to play but they don't want to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
If you meet regularly, you could try implementing a round-robin system. This week, I get to pick a game. Next week you get to pick a game. Etc. Everyone agrees that they are not allowed to turn down the pick of the week. That way everyone will have a chance to get their lesser played games to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Smith
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tckoppang wrote:
If you meet regularly, you could try implementing a round-robin system. This week, I get to pick a game. Next week you get to pick a game. Etc. Everyone agrees that they are not allowed to turn down the pick of the week. That way everyone will have a chance to get their lesser played games to the table.

Typically every week there are at least 2 dozen games to pick from, frequently running 3-4 different games at a time with all the people there to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bamf226 wrote:
Typically every week there are at least 2 dozen games to pick from, frequently running 3-4 different games at a time with all the people there to play.

Ok. So are you saying that the "pick of the week" system wouldn't work? Actually it might even work better with a larger group. If you have a designated table for the weekly pick, then others would still be free to play something else if they absolutely hated your pick. Obviously, there's a certain trust factor in the system. Everyone agrees because they know when it's their turn to pick a game, they'll have ready players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Smith
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not high enough in the hierarchy yet to suggest a pick of the week. Typically, the guys with the larger libraries post in our BBG guild forum the list of games they are bringing. If someone else announces in the forum that they want to play one of the games, it will hit the table. Otherwise it's just whatever the sub-groups can agree to play once a game ends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can say is that you might have to speak up a little louder. You're asking for ways to convince people to play the games you want to play. There are no "tricks". You simply have to say, "I want to play this game," and make that happen. I'm simply trying to give you a possible framework.

You could also try asking around at the game group. Perhaps there are a few like-minded people that would be willing to meet outside of the regular group for a special session of lesser played games that don't fit in with the regular style of the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
I, for one, purchase industrial shelving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.