Popular Tags: Monopoly_bashing [+] [View All]
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my daughter came home from daycare today and said "dad, i played a cool new game today." "do you have monopoly?"

i suppose i could have lied.

but i did try "how about cheeky monkey, dungeon lords, heroscape, ghost chase, break the safe, please not monopoly."

the things we do for our kids....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great dad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crawford
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jocose wrote:
my daughter came home from daycare today and said "dad, i played a cool new game today." "do you have monopoly?"

being a new gamer of a couple years, the answer was unfortunately "yes."

i tried "how about cheeky monkey, dungeon lords, heroscape, ghost chase, break the safe, please not monopoly."

My condolences... Time to look for a new day care?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just avoid house rules. I don't hate monopoly and in fact have much nostalgia for it, but there are a lot of games that I'd rather play. Run through a full game and use it as an opportunity to figure out what aspects of it your kids enjoy and then explain why you prefer to play games with similar elements.

This is an opportunity!

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith-Stoe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually curious about playing Monopoly again. I've only played once with the proper rule of putting each property up for auction when the player landing on it passes on purchasing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SurfinDecoy wrote:
I'm actually curious about playing Monopoly again. I've only played once with the proper rule of putting each property up for auction when the player landing on it passes on purchasing it.

see i thought that was a house rule ...... ahh the monopoly mystique! my game does not have the rules in it anymore .....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jocose wrote:
SurfinDecoy wrote:

see i thought that was a house rule ...... ahh the monopoly mystique! my game does not have the rules in it anymore .....

http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/monins.pdf

the big two are:

1. All unowned properties landed on are either bought by the player who landed on them, or auctioned to the highest bidder. (starting at any price)
2. no money of any kind is placed on, or handed out from, Free Parking.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
jocose wrote:
SurfinDecoy wrote:

http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/monins.pdf

the big two are:

1. All unowned properties landed on are either bought by the player who landed on them, or auctioned to the highest bidder. (starting at any price)
2. no money of any kind is placed on, or handed out from, Free Parking.

B>

we did #2 right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bingle
United States
ORLANDO
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does (almost) everyone on BGG have an overt hatred for Monopoly?

I look back at playing Monopoly with family 35 years ago - strictly by the rules and showing no mercy to the youngest sibling, me - as a positive learning experience.

Learning about probabilities, weighing value, managing resources, weighing risk, percentages, counting money, making change, counting, return on investment, playing to win but having fun playing...

It also taught me not to expect to always "win" and get what I want out of life, but it's the experience that counts.

Sure, bad luck can lead to early elimination, but so what? Is it just that there are "better" games nowadays?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sant
United States
Easton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bingle wrote:

roll and move game that. never. ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bingle wrote:

I look back at playing Monopoly with family 35 years ago - strictly by the rules and showing no mercy to the youngest sibling, me - as a positive learning experience.

Learning about probabilities, weighing value, managing resources, weighing risk, percentages, counting money, making change, counting, return on investment, playing to win but having fun playing...

It also taught me not to expect to always "win" and get what I want out of life, but it's the experience that counts.

Sure, bad luck can lead to early elimination, but so what? Is it just that there are "better" games nowadays?

i don't hate it, i thought the post would get a few laughs is all....

of course there are lots better games i would rather play, but if the kids want to play a game with me, i'm playing and always use them as teaching (or learning) opportunities .....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
dsant wrote:
bingle wrote:

Played with the real rules its 120 minutes, tops.

Its still too long, lacks interesting decisions, and is swayed radically by player skills in charisma/convincing/cajoling/bribing/threatening. But its a much better game with the auctions and no cash on free parking than the version I played my entire youth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Sleezer
United States
Dupont
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
jocose wrote:

being a new gamer of a couple years, the answer was unfortunately "yes."

i tried "how about cheeky monkey, dungeon lords, heroscape, ghost chase, break the safe, please not monopoly."

All boardgamers need to start somewhere. While Monopoly may not be a great game by many here it is a good starting game for young children.

So play a few games and them get her to move onto the better games in your collection.

I still have a copy myself though it has not been played in like 10 years if not longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Honey, if you enjoyed Monopoly, let Daddy show you some *real* games!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bingle wrote:

Yes there are better game nowadays. Of course there were better games thenadays too. Acquire is far more interesting, to me, than Monopoly.

I do find this recent campaign to get people to play Monopoly 'right' to be very fascinating though. Given the number of bloggers I have seen spouting the 'you hate Monopoly b/c you don't play by the rules' makes me think this is an underground advert campaign backed by Hasbro.

But I have been told I have a low and suspicious mind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All boardgamers need to start somewhere. While Monopoly may not be a great game by many here it is a good starting game for young children.

So play a few games and them get her to move onto the better games in your collection.

I still have a copy myself though it has not been played in like 10 years if not longer.

[/q]

Something tells me you haven't played a lot of games with kids. IME kids love repetition. To the point where I think they can be legally classified as insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is said that one of the keys to parenting is sacrifice.

Seriously though, if it helped get my kids into board games, I would gladly play Monopoly with them to start with. Think of it like legos... Start with Duplo and then work slowly up to the Technics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dsant wrote:
bingle wrote:

I don't like player elimination either. Most games reach a point where a critical majority are bankrupt/bored and then it just gets shelved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
"Honey, if you enjoyed Monopoly, let Daddy show you some *real* games!"

she already plays a variety of games with me, monopoly was just new to her
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lostdog wrote:
My condolences... Time to look for a new day care?

Actually, this might be an opportunity for Dad to offer the teacher a "games day" or other event for kids to learn "real" games. I enjoyed Monopoly as a kid -- I somehow owned the entire purple and light blue side of the board -- but, as said, kids are insane. (They inherit it from their parents!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejtracer wrote:
It is said that one of the keys to parenting is sacrifice.

really no sacrifice at all, the post really was meant to get a laugh because of the general scunner of monopoly

like a poster above i discovered i had a bit of nostalgia for the game while playing

sure i like games, i like to win them, i play to win them, i like the mental exercise, but the real substance to me is the quality time spent with family and friends

i can ask my daughter a hundred times what did you do today? "nothing", "watched alpha and omega on my ipod", "painted", "nothing"

start talking over a game monopoly and i learn that heather watched the movie with her, troy spilled her paint, on purpose! and that madison told her that seth told nolan that he liked kayla, which she thinks is gross (yeah me!) though i need to get a good look at this troy on my next trip through the daycare whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe cute pic.

I have to say though, although there are usually other games I'd rather play, I don't think Monopoly is *that* bad of a game. Generally what I find breaks it are house rules like the "put money on Free Parking" thing (causing the game to last longer), and a fear of interacting with other players, which causes the game to turn into a mindless (and nearly endless) cycle of circling the board and spending money every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
Looks like good bonding time, that's what its all about anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that kids like rolling dice; they just like the activity of it... And since Monopoly has dice, which most Euros don't... It also has a theme that gals like (which may be why Heroscape may not appeal to her, she is going to be influenced by her friends).

With those aspects in mind, here are a few suggestions of games to seek out that are far more interesting than Monopoly:

Boggle/Big Boggle
Cloud 9
Sushizok im Gockelwok
Clue Express

Cheers,
Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jocose wrote:

i can ask my daughter a hundred times what did you do today? "nothing", "watched alpha and omega on my ipod", "painted", "nothing"

start talking over a game monopoly and i learn that heather watched the movie with her, troy spilled her paint, on purpose! and that madison told her that seth told nolan that he liked kayla, which she thinks is gross (yeah me!) though i need to get a good look at this troy on my next trip through the daycare whistle

A good game is just as much about the people playing as it is about the game itself, so what we have here is a case of Monopoly being a very good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.