Hide
3 Posts

Risk: Metal Gear Solid» Forums » General

Subject: A few expansion ideas! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sol iton
msg tools
I do believe that this version can stand on it own, and in my opinion it is probably the best of the "spin-offs" to date.

I can't get it out of my head however, how great this game could be with an expansion pack to further explore the metal gear universe.

Besides getting more DP and perhaps more soliders and cards, what i would love to see is a Metal gear REX that could be commanded on the board with a special dice or deck of cards. Perhaps the unit starts at a random territory or always alaska. In addition to balance the game perhaps also at random or the other players who do not have REX gain a few less powerful RAY units. REX and RAY cards shouldnt be used with this extension. This will drive the game further away from the regular risk tatics of going for austriala etc - as does the extentsion of having a mobile outer haven.

Maybe instead of RAY each boss has a special cohert of units, with the exception of the player/boss in charge of REX. Immediatiatly I can imagine:

Liquid/Ocelot - RAYs
B&b - the unit members
Rat Patrol - Extra Reinforcements

etc

It would also be awesome to have the bosses in model form, akin to but more detailed than the Commanders in 2110.

Granted these ideas are a bit over the top in a few places, but I believe should be discussed! What do other fans of the Risk and or metal gear series think?

i can imagine people may think it will get a bit too involved for a RISK game, but then again, it wouldnt add many new rules - just a few powerful pieces to keep regions on the map interesting and fighting for power as well as land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ed gaga
United States
California
flag msg tools
i love your idea about the bosses having a cohort of units. that'll add a new dimension to army set-up and an individual play style for every boss. depending on how its executed, it could also eliminate the constant 'death ball' style of risk play where everyone huddles their entire army in one country and steam roll continent zones.

im not sure if you've played with the Faction abilities in the risk 2210 expansion, but thats exactly what i was thinking about your idea of cohorts for each boss! it's a great idea imo

although, im not quite feeling your ray and rex variant. to me, Risk was never a game to PURPOSELY gang up on someone. and the way i see it is that if rex had its own individual dice and deck, risk would turn from a free-for-all, into a juggernaut or king-of-the-hill type of game. it would be a nice DIY campaign idea, but probably not as a full fledged expansion you'd have to pay for.

what are your ideas for cohort units? i'm really interested on putting a few house rule spins to make the game a bit more interesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dar G
msg tools
i would love to see more bosses such as naked snake(big boss), boss, liquid snake and solidus.
thhe expansion needs to cover the mgs universe rather than just the mgs4 game. that would be great becuase it would bring up more drebin cards which would bring back favorite nostalgic moments in previous games like mgs3 snake eater.

i would also love to see all the different outerhavens especially the one in peace walker somewhere along the coat of central/south america where it would be a new territory with special attributes.

shadow moses themed alaska would be great. certain territories that are mentioned in the games have certain bonus attributes a player can use. so defending these certain territories would bring more strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.