Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that a squad that moves into a vehicle hex must survive all fire in that hex. But under the Fire rules it states that a unit may not fire into a hex that contains a friendly unit. So I do not know what fire the assaulting unit must survive. I feel like I'm missing something big here. The only thing I can think of is artillery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
Yes, Beresford has asked that question as well. Here is my response:

Quote:
Tricky...yes, I am changing that from "cannot fire into a hex containing friendly units" to "cannot fire into a hex containing friendly infantry or guns." You CAN fire at enemy units in the same hex as a friendly vehicle. The reason for the distinction is that you should be able to fire at the enemy troops without harming your vehicle. For example, I can visualize nearby friendly infantry firing at enemy infantry attacking a friendly vehicle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, that makes sense. Sorry I didn't see that the question was already answered. Thanks for responding.

By the way, I am really enjoying the game. I just played scenario 3. That artillery is brutal! The US managed to win but it was very close and came down to the last activation of the last turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Excellent.

Yes, artillery is brutal. It very often made people go to ground and look for cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Op Firing Artillery with a -4 mod is a bit TOO brutal (and responsive). Note that the 80mm fire in Scenario 3 will never scatter beyond the target hex. Typical gameplay in my (solitaire) experience is that you spend two turns trying to get the die rolls necessary to Fully Suppress that squad on the other side of the street as recommended, you attempt to dash across the street to finish the job, and here is the Op Firing Artillery and your assaulting squad is dead.

I've already made the point that the 'normal modifier' is only -4 for fire from within a 4 hex range, and Mortar fire IS affected by range (I think).

One point we can all agree on is that it would have been useful for the flip side of the Artillery counters to say 'Used' (I suppose it can always be hand-written on).

Since I haven't said anything 'nice' yet, I would like to say that the components of BOB and the larger hexes are excellent for those of us of advancing years whose dexterity isn't the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Quote:
One point we can all agree on is that it would have been useful for the flip side of the Artillery counters to say 'Used' (I suppose it can always be hand-written on).

Wait...why? When the artillery counter is placed on the board, it is used.

Or do you mean for if it fails the prof check?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Yes. You can put a 'Used' marker on it or even set it aside, but it would be easier just to flip it over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beresford wrote:
Quote:

Yes. You can put a 'Used' marker on it or even set it aside, but it would be easier just to flip it over.
I think the rules say to put a used marker on the scenario card artillery spot.That's what I've been doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beresford wrote:
Op Firing Artillery with a -4 mod is a bit TOO brutal (and responsive). Note that the 80mm fire in Scenario 3 will never scatter beyond the target hex. Typical gameplay in my (solitaire) experience is that you spend two turns trying to get the die rolls necessary to Fully Suppress that squad on the other side of the street as recommended, you attempt to dash across the street to finish the job, and here is the Op Firing Artillery and your assaulting squad is dead.

I've already made the point that the 'normal modifier' is only -4 for fire from within a 4 hex range, and Mortar fire IS affected by range (I think

I don't think the -4 is responsiveness, that quality is covered by the units' proficiency. I think is more the likelihood of being hit by what is already flying around.

In Carentan, every inch of the town was prespotted, so an observer could almost anticipate where to direct fire. That scene from Band of Brother (the series) shows how brutal the artillery was in that battle. Casualties were taken and everyone stopped what they were doing and ran for cover. The game gave me that sense more than other games Ive played.

I'm quickly turning into a fanboy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.