Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Cobalt
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, my next question is this: can two different gods have two different levels of the SAME weapon? Like could Tyr have a level one hammer (sorry, can't recall spelling) and Thor have the level two hammer?

Next, what happens to elves after use? They go back up to their tree?

I really dig this game. I was unsure at first, but it's def fun. Only played one game, and we lost, but had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to both of your questions. Two different gods can have two different levels of the same weapon. And elves go back from whence they came.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
the faq (yggdrasil.ludonaute.fr/en/faq1.php) addresses your first question, which is nearly identical to the first question in the faq weapons section:

the faq wrote:
Are 2 Gods allowed to have the same weapon with 2 different levels (for example Mjollnir +3 for Thor and Mjollnir +1 for Heimdall)?

Yes, they are. Several players can have different « levels » of the same weapon.

page 3 of the rules, which explain combat, details what should be done with the elves that contribute to combat:

the rules wrote:
Place a number of Elves of your choice from your own stock (it is possible to place no Elf at all) on the World of the Elves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Cobalt
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks people dudes! wowwowwowwow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Cobalt
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And my very last FOUR questions:

What's the difference in the ice giants whirpool vs. the island being submerged? My understanding is that submerged means you cannot access that island's bag. The whirlpool does what then?

AND

What is the diff in the special versions of the bad guys? I get the Ragnorak cards, but, beyond the lightning bolt on the front and back of the cards, they seem identical. What am I missing?

AND

Do the ice giants shuffle back in after you complete their rune effects?

AND

The bottom space on the board is for gods to trade vikings and elves, right? So can a god who has nothing go to another god to take elves or vikings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
78giraffes wrote:
What's the difference in the ice giants whirpool vs. the island being submerged? My understanding is that submerged means you cannot access that island's bag. The whirlpool does what then?

you cannot move the valkyries onto the whirpool. therefore, you're denied access to the island under the whirlpool counter and any islands on the other side of it. so if the valkyries were to the left of the counter, you wouldn't be able to access any of the islands to the right of the counter.

78giraffes wrote:
What is the diff in the special versions of the bad guys? I get the Ragnorak cards, but, beyond the lightning bolt on the front and back of the cards, they seem identical. What am I missing?

The Angry Enemy cards are different in that they make an Enemy move forward two spaces instead of one (if possible). The effect of the corresponding Enemy is applied only once, after his move.

78giraffes wrote:

Do the ice giants shuffle back in after you complete their rune effects?

no, ice giants are discarded to the side of the board and are not brought back into play once defeated. a good strategy can be to take out all of the ice giants early in the game, before they can become a nuisance. although the discards are not shuffled back into the giants deck, the deck is shuffled whenever you look through it using the vanir giants action.

78giraffes wrote:
The bottom space on the board is for gods to trade vikings and elves, right? So can a god who has nothing go to another god to take elves or vikings?

yes, the rules state that you're allowed to:

rules wrote:
Take, give, or exchange Elves and/or Vikings with one other God only.

so you could choose this space and take elves and/or vikings from another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Cobalt
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nunyabisnas wrote:
you cannot move the valkyries onto the whirpool. therefore, you're denied access to the island under the whirlpool counter and any islands on the other side of it. so if the valkyries were to the left of the counter, you wouldn't be able to access any of the islands to the right of the counter.

First off, thanks for the answers. So, with regard to the whirlpool, if it is placed on the white island, and the valkyries are back at the starting point, then they would not be able to move to the other three islands, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
78giraffes wrote:
with regard to the whirlpool, if it is placed on the white island, and the valkyries are back at the starting point, then they would not be able to move to the other three islands, correct?

correct. you'd definitely want to focus on taking out that giant at that point =-)

the only case in which the valkyries can be on the whirlpool is if they were already on the island before the whirlpool token was placed. unlike Jormungand's effect, which submerges the island and pushes the valkyries back to the rainbow island, the whirlpool effect of the giant does not force the valkyries to move. so if they where on the white island when it received the whirlpool token, it would be wise of them to move to the right at the next opportunity. however, if they were on the rainbow island when the whirlpool token was placed on the white island, they'd be stuck there until the giant was defeated (or until Jormungand caused a different island to submerge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only other way past the whirlpool is to use the Vanir spot that lets u move the Valkyries directly to any island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
Only other way past the whirlpool is to use the Vanir spot that lets u move the Valkyries directly to any island

actually no. it has been clarified in the faq (yggdrasil.ludonaute.fr/en/faq3.php):

the faq wrote:
While moving the Valkyries thanks to the first stage of the Sacred Land, can a God move the Valkyries to an island of his choice?

No, he can't. The Valkyries are moved only ONE step forward or backward.

the valkyrie spot on the vanir track only grants you a normal valkyrie movement. the normal movement rules still apply, so there's no way to get onto or beyond the whirlpool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

I understood it this way too, but later on I realized that the faqs just say to move the valikiries one spot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Cobalt
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, after the baddies move into that very first spot (no lightning bolts present), how do the "area power effects X" work? They have to actually be on the second portion of the track for it to work? Does the same apply as the power levels increase (from one lightning bolt to two, and so on)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
78giraffes wrote:
So, after the baddies move into that very first spot (no lightning bolts present), how do the "area power effects X" work? They have to actually be on the second portion of the track for it to work? Does the same apply as the power levels increase (from one lightning bolt to two, and so on)?

there are only two spots without lightning bolts: the starting space and the final space (odin's house, which explicitly indicates that lightning bolt effects are not applied). the other six spaces are broken into three groups, two with 1 bolt, two with 2 bolts, and 2 with three bolts. below each group there is listed the combat value and the number of lightning bolts that apply for the two spaces in the group.

take a look at the diagram at the start of the "enemy effects" section of the manual, it illustrates fairly well how the spaces are grouped and how the combat values and bolts are applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Cobalt
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have to admit, while I do enjoy the game, I found the manual to be a little vague in many respects. If not for a couple of vids I found, I don't think I'd have muscled through. There is a lot of room for misinterpretation about some rules. Still, it is great, even if I was playing it only 78% correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
i agree, the manual could definitely have been improved. there are several portions of the manual where it is evident that a native speaker did not handle the translation. fortunately the author has been pretty active on trictrac and the ludonaute rep has a good presence on bgg, so most of the pressing questions have been answered in one way or another.

the reminder cards (help cards) found at:

http://yggdrasil.ludonaute.fr/en/bonus.html

give you most of what you need to know in a nice compact format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nunyabisnas wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

actually no. it has been clarified in the faq (yggdrasil.ludonaute.fr/en/faq3.php):

the faq wrote:
While moving the Valkyries thanks to the first stage of the Sacred Land, can a God move the Valkyries to an island of his choice?

No, he can't. The Valkyries are moved only ONE step forward or backward.

the valkyrie spot on the vanir track only grants you a normal valkyrie movement. the normal movement rules still apply, so there's no way to get onto or beyond the whirlpool.

Ahhh, yes....
Quote:
Move the Valkyries one island in Midgard without looking for souls.
.... for some reason, I read "one island" as "to [any] one island"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Cobalt
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the link! This is very helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
.... for some reason, I read "one island" as "to [any] one island"

you're not the only one =-) i'm just glad they posted an official clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.