Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this situation come up twice tonight and wanted to make sure we play fit right.

Situation One

I unwisely advanced one of my German Soldiers too far in front of the rest of my force. As a result my opponent moved two of his American Soldiers into combat contact. The Americans had Initiative. We played it as follows, both sides drew their fight cards 5 for Americans 2 for Germans. American plays his first card. Per the rules the next Initiative player gets to play a card which would mean the German plays next. This is how we played it. I ended up getting a wound from first American play and then giving a wound on my play and then American second play was another wound which killed my German and ended the fight. So here are my questions:

1. Did we play this correctly or should the American player been allowed to play one card for each of his soldiers in the fight prior to German playing any in response?

2. If the correct method is in fact alternating card plays regardless of total number of soldiers then what happens if I had KIA'd on my first card play, does the American not get a second card play? Does the player with multiple soldiers have to declare which solider is playing each card?

Situation 2

Once again two Americans versus one German (it was my last soldier). This time my lone German was in Combat Contact with one of the American Soldiers who was also in Combat Contact. The second American Soldier was in Combat Contact with the rear of my German soldier. Germans had initiative this time. Questions are:

3. For the German first play, I assume that only the American soldier in the German Soldiers Combat Contact can be targeted with fight cards?

4. If the German soldier somehow survived the phase and had a move order in the next phase could he rotate his base in such a way that both American soldiers were now in his Combat Contact?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Situation 1:
1. You played correctly. Sides alternate cards as long as they have a surviving soldier when it is their turn to play a card.
2.Once the fight hand is drawn you do not take into account individual soldier circumstances apart from designating the target.

Situation 2:
3.No ,you should treat as one combat and play as you did for situation 1. The only facing penalty is if a soldier has no enemy in combat contact with its "shooting arc" and then it draws no cards.
The rules say "The Player with the Initiative plays one card (and applies its Combat Result) against any enemy Soldier that is contacted by any of the player’s Soldiers in this Combat Contact. The card takes immediate effect"

However the words,following this imply you can only play cards against enemies in combat contact.
[Jeff , please and reword / tidy up the combat contact section]

4.Yes providing you have a move action during the next phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerry has the right answers here. That is how Fight is done.

One thing to remember is that the Fight cards are drawn separately for each cluster of soldiers fighting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one for Jerry!

-Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to my thrid question seems a little counterintuitive. Let me sketch out why with two examples and then a conclusion.

Example 1

American Soldier A moves into CombatContact with German Soldier C in such a way that German Soldier C is not also in Combat Contact. Result: Only American Soldier A draws fight cards and can potentiallyb eliminate German Soldier C with no risk of KIA, Wound or Pin.

Example 2

Same as above with the additional fact that American Soldier B also moves into Combat Contact with German Soldier C but does so in a manner that puts German Soldier C in contact with American B as well. Result: Americans draw fight cards based on both soldiers fight allowances. German Soldier B also draws fight cards and can play them against either American Soldier.

Conclusion: German Soldier C in Example 2 has a better chance of inflicting damage when he is under attack by two soldiers than when he is being attacked by one. I understand that the American player in Example 2 will have a significant advantage in the form of additional fight cards but it still is difficult to wrap my head around the fact that Amercian Soldier A who was not at risk in the first example, is in the exact same position AND has the additional advantage of someone to the front of German Soldier C is suddenly at risk in the second example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Barton
United States
Atlanta
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rex,
Interesting point. My initial thought would be why would you want to engage with the 2nd American? Another thing consider is who has initiative. If the American do and I was drawing 4+ combat cards I might engage with the 2nd soldier. If I don't have initiative, I would just take the free attack with Soldier A.

In "real" life, I would say having one soldier sneak up on you would be a big surprise. If several soldiers attacked you from different sides, it would not be as big a surprise (but probably more deadly).

Remember, CC in SMG is pretty deadly. Being able to pick which card you play in CC is deadly (not sure I like it). But by being able to pick your card, it would really reduce the likelihood that Soldier A would be damaged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ajbartman wrote:
Rex,
Interesting point. My initial thought would be why would you want to engage with the 2nd American? Another thing consider is who has initiative. If the American do and I was drawing 4+ combat cards I might engage with the 2nd soldier. If I don't have initiative, I would just take the free attack with Soldier A.

In "real" life, I would say having one soldier sneak up on you would be a big surprise. If several soldiers attacked you from different sides, it would not be as big a surprise (but probably more deadly).

Remember, CC in SMG is pretty deadly. Being able to pick which card you play in CC is deadly (not sure I like it). But by being able to pick your card, it would really reduce the likelihood that Soldier A would be damaged.

The hypo was loosely inspired by my game last night. I was German my opponent American. I foolishly let him move first on first phase even though I had initiative. I did not think he was going to charge me given the other two phase orders. Well he did. His Soldier A went into Combat Contact with my soldier D. His Soldier B moved twice and ended up entering Combat Contact with my Soldier C outside C's shooting Arc. During my MOVE action I changed facing on C to get his B in Combat Contact as well.

First Fights are resolved and my D is killed by his A. My C and his B end up pinning each other. Next Phase reveal is MOVE for him, SHOOT for me. On his MOVE he brings A into Combat Contact with my C from behind. I went first in Fight because of Initiative but failed to kill B. Then he killed me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first few games followed a similar pattern and then I realised , just because I had no SHOOT options did not mean I had to charge.

Patience , Plan , play to your strengths not to the enemies.

This is even easier now that I have the extra terrain in RtC, I can keep my distance , pin the enemy and kill at range or if he is weakened and I have good close range weapons and Fight strengths , close in. I tend to keep a good manoeuvre team to protect my fire team from the enemy closing.

SMG is even better if you don't rush it.Just holding back and letting the enemy commit can give you much better choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jerry, it was vey much a "lets push figures around and see how this works" kind of game. My opponent was
Saker
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Taban ran a BGG contest to promote their KS Eden Escape, then gave the contest "winners" nothing.
badge
I don't discuss my clients.
mbmbmbmbmb
. He and I have discussed the game several times since we played and both agree we would play it differently again. Based on his interest to keep playing I am going to take the plunge and get Road to Carentan and some additional forces so we can really explore the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rexgator wrote:
Thanks Jerry, it was vey much a "lets push figures around and see how this works" kind of game. My opponent was
Saker
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Taban ran a BGG contest to promote their KS Eden Escape, then gave the contest "winners" nothing.
badge
I don't discuss my clients.
mbmbmbmbmb
. He and I have discussed the game several times since we played and both agree we would play it differently again. Based on his interest to keep playing I am going to take the plunge and get Road to Carentan and some additional forces so we can really explore the system.

It will be worth it , the rules are now maturing , we should end up with the best of a tactical miniatures and a modern board wargame rules set style, consise without being to legalistic.

The equipment , orders and tactics cards will add depth and decision points without clutter or unnecessary chrome. The promised soldier advancement options mean there will be a RPG type flavour. I can see some great campaign options and $10-20 add ons that will really add value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Jerry has planted a "bug" in the planning meetings...whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Sounds like Jerry has planted a "bug" in the planning meetings...whistle

Nope I just wait for you to confirm my guesses.arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.