Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey all, so we had played a round today that resulted in Haunt 15. Does the dragon seem underpowered to anyone? Now, I admit, I had quite of bit of luck, on this one, but I'm still worried I might be mis-reading a ruling. I had picked up the blood dagger, giving me a Might of 7. Dragon attacked, and got unlucky with only 5, while I scored a 10. With the Dragon's toughness, difference is still 3 in my favor. Now there were three of us playing, so two heroes. If we read this right, the Dragon's HP is only Two? Did I really just one-shot the dragon without even using the spear, armor, or shield?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Slay the dragon... too easy?
Without the haunt in front of me, I can't tell if your calculations are correct, however when we played this one last Halloween we had a similar experience: the traitor and his dragon got steamrolled.

The general consensus is that most haunts are skewed towards one side or the other, but that isn't why most people play - the theme makes the game enjoyable enough even though some haunts seem preordained to go one way or another.

Keep in mind the outcome of a haunt also has to do with the extent to which the house has been explored, which room tiles have been discovered, how "buff" the characters have become, the distribution of characters in the house when the house begins, and which character becomes the traitor.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Metzler

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
We played haunt 15 yesterday and the dragon steamrolled everyone except for the person in the basement who gathered all the dragon slaying gear and became pretty unstoppable. I think that the betrayer would have won pretty easily if he would have gone straight to the basement, but alas he took his chances with the mystic elevator which let him down. That fire breath doing 4 die of physical damage when our speed rolls were not good wiped the rest of us out pretty easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As always, whether this mission is easy or not depends on the situation. If you have a tough fighter (i.e. high strength), an he has had time to develop, then pure strength-monsters will be easy.

However, if your strongest character at this poiny is Strength 3 or 4 (maybe the Traitor was the strongest), it looks pretty hopeless for the Heroes. If the Haunt happened early, maybe you only have a few rooms, with nowhere to run!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Number of players" in any haunt counts the traitor. (The traitor is a "player" and an "explorer", but not a "hero") That said, it wouldn't have saved the dragon, so everything everyone else said about balance.

Edit to remove the mention of Toughness, since I saw you accounted for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Drontle
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just finished a game where the dragon won easily. There was a big luck factor though- the traitor ended up being the person with the spear- AND happened to be Ox Bellows, who has might 5 or 6 base. So he rolled 8 dice when doing might attacks. He was also able to get the armor.

That seems to be the trick to winning- the traitor has to steal the armor or the shield. If the heroes manage to get both on one player and get them the spear, the dragon's likely dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
msg tools
Slay the dragon... too easy?
@Dan Drontle: The traitor cannot start with the spear. The haunt revealer starts with the spear, and the traitor cannot be the haunt revealer for this scenario. This is an important note, because the spear is a huge factor (+4/+4) in fighting the dragon.

I recently won this scenario as the traitor against 3 heroes. The heroes got the spear, shield, and armor within a few turns, and against their combined power the dragon didn't look good. Fortunately I had the music box in my possession, and the heroes' "champion" had a Sanity of only 2, so he remained mesmerized long enough to finish them all off.

I agree with Dan Drontle that the key to winning is gaining control of the armor, shield, and spear as quickly as possible.

I think it's a great scenario! There is some luck, but also a lot of strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karasu Gamma
msg tools
This haunt was my first time ever being traitor, and we were playing the original version, so I was hugely disadvantaged in that the basement hadn't been explored much. The original version's rules said that if the armor/shield spawn rooms weren't in the house, they would spawn in the haunt revealer's room, and the haunt revealer happened to be Flash, so he got the armor and shield immediately. He was also in possession of the Druidic Charm, and stunned the dragon rather quickly with it (that's the only way the dragon could be stunned in the original). The Professor reached Flash and handed him the Amulet of the Ages, killing himself in the process. Flash then proceeded to keep stabbing the dragon until it died.

I've only ever played this haunt twice since then, and both times the traitor lost quickly as well.

I would say that the dragon is probably underpowered, even if the heroes have to search the entire basement for the armor and shield. There are too many ways for the heroes to stay safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Silva
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI: the traitor and monsters can use the elevator to go wherever they want, without rolling a dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.