Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Stout
Canada
Amherstview
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you shuffle the whole discard pile? I've played a few games now, and we haven't gotten to the bottom of the deck yet, but we did come close a couple times.

I know the default in any game is shuffle the discard pile and play-on, but taking the entire discard pile and leaving the next player with a 1-card discard pile can effect the game a bit if he rolls 22/222.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
nodeg wrote:
Do you shuffle the whole discard pile? I've played a few games now, and we haven't gotten to the bottom of the deck yet, but we did come close a couple times.

I know the default in any game is shuffle the discard pile and play-on, but taking the entire discard pile and leaving the next player with a 1-card discard pile can effect the game a bit if he rolls 22/222.

Steven,

We and our playtesters played a lot of Carnival during development, and the deck only ran out three or four times (and this was mostly during four-player sessions). We chose not to reshuffle the deck for just the reason you mentioned - it would devalue the Discard Draw dice actions, and all the cards the players need to win are already in play.

Since we encourage the use of house rules to customize play experience, players can choose to leave the discard pile untouched (the "sanctioned" option), or reshuffle the discard pile to form a new draw deck. If players choose to reshuffle the discard pile, it would be best, and most fair, to form a new discard pile by removing a number of cards equal to the number of players from the top of the newly-formed draw deck.

Thanks for playing!
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually ran into this for the first time in a 3-player game the other night. Since it never came up for us in our playtests either, we really didn't know what to do.

At the time, we reshuffled the discard pile, but then didn't have to use it because someone won by stealing a card from another person's midway before anyone would have had to draw again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G W M
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Don't play in the street....
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, this came up in our first play as a question - makes sense that you would continue to play and this would simply render the roll of 1 redundant, i.e. bring on the two's! GM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.