United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Before i get down to the nitty gritty of things.. heres some personal Gaming info

Persoanl Gaming Info
Settlers is the game for us.. we play it alot, and Candamir which is awesome too
Power Grid gets zero play time, thers just no "direct" player interaction. way to listen to hype
Carcassone had crazy hype, and i listend again......
Bohnanza,, same deal carc and bohnazna had a HUGE turnoff at the theme and it was just stupid, why play this when theres settlers.
Panemic was a turd, coop is just bad, we are a competetive group.

Just Bought Earth Reborn!!!!!
Im freakin excited!! never played that "type" of game before, and its looks soooo great!!! we havent played a crazy deep huge massive rules game, but we will give this a shot.

and here i go posting about different my next purchase, tho i havent even played Earth reborn yet hahahha x)

here we go....

Deduction games.

Okay i own clue, but it doesnt count. I want a nice rounded collection of games so this is my next type of core ,or whatever you the word is, game.

Where should i start?

well.... its probobly going to be letters from whitechapel regardless of the posts but im curious to see what the comments will be, why letters from white chapel? because its looks freakin awesome, and its cheap, plus its good with 2 people. and jack the ripper.
+I love the theme
+Im pretty sure my friends like Jack the ripper, well i hope haha
+The rules dont seem too bad.
+Play time doesnt seem too bad. I dont think the game will "drag", i assume it will only get more intense as the cops are closer and paranoia rises

A posssible problem

Is there a balancing issue with this game? does the jack always win? What do you guys think?

Is this a good game to get my feet wet in this new and undiscoverd genre if not, what is and why?

Any feedback is welcome, even if its jibberish. oh and hey, possible geek gold for the most helpful jibberish. I dont have much but hey

Thanks!!

Forgot to add.

Im not asking for an Easy deduction game that would get me started, but a Game that is so awesome that i will love the genre like crazy and then do a dance, It can be as deep as the sea, just as long as its not over 2.5 hours.

if its a soid 2 player game, id be really happy. My group is always under 4 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It does look freakin awesome. It's also currently out of print.

Scotland Yard is also in the same genre and is also awesome.

My friend always describes it as a "game to teach graph theory".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
yeah, Letters from Whitechapel is hard to find now
but its really long and its not the kind of deduction game i would introduce to someone right from the get go. it can be very overwhelming

i'm quite a simple games person so if you asked me for deduction games, i would recommend the following ( also because it seems like your group likes games where you can interact with each other alot )

1) Cockroach Poker
i always recommend kakerlakenpoker. its fun, its alot of laughs, and the deduction and bluffing can really get to you. and its cheap !

2) Get Bit!
get bit has some minor deduction too. but a lot of player interaction and laughs. also, its cheap !

none of them are board games, rather, card games, but its cheap and its good to introduce to any new comers. then you slowly level them up. thats what i do with my group

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Pozun
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of Mystery Express. Its this huge improvement over clue and way harder.

I'm not a big fan of mr jack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Letters, but it is a heavy deduction game. We learned pretty early that we needed to print laminated maps and take notes of what we saw if we really wanted a good chance at catching Jack. It occasionally turns a lot of people off to hear they're playing something where note-taking is required for success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King Me! very light, easy to teach, deduction and voting.
Inkognito better than clue and hard to find.
Coda
Tobago opposite-thinking deduction. very unique. 'Lots of chrome. Family friendly.
Mystery Express clue-esque but deeper.
Timbuktu very fun.
BANG! light game in deduction, but you still need to not shoot your fellow mates.
The Resistance like werewolf but better, and everyone can play.
Citadels slight deducing which role someone took.
Witch's Brew round by round deduction, not overall game deduction. akin to citadels in deducing roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orient Express is out of print but can be found, bought mine from Ebay. Players explore the train and turn over clues as the journey progresses, trying to work out who did it. Played it for the first time last night and enjoyed it, came very close to the correct solution.

There are only 10 cases in the original box, but there are 30 more available from the game website and one more uploaded in the files section here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Grant
Scotland
Windsor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have LfW and it is brilliant. Gut-wrenchingly tense and a wonderful team game. Fury of Dracula is also amazing and dripping in theme.
What about Nuns on the Run? I've heard good things about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
You wrote that your group does not like co-op games. You do realize that if you play with more than 2 players then it is one against the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobago +1. Very good game and agree that it is family friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Larry Welborn wrote:
You wrote that your group does not like co-op games. You do realize that if you play with more than 2 players then it is one against the group.

Very good point.

In Pandemic's first play through, we basically had one guy play the whole game while we kind of sat there, haha. So this kid is going to be Jack for sure, if i get this game.

And its out of print! that sucks!

I have looked at the Fury of Dracula, it seems like it would work, but it just seems blood-suckingly long,

And i kind of want a game that isnt like clue,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timbuktu is very fun, not clue, and some funny moments when your camel gets stripped clean by the robbers. Plays in an hour, 2-5 players, and very family friendly and best of all: no downtime.
scott nicholsen's review:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/126912/video-exploration...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players?

How long would you prefer the game to take?

(Apologies if I missed the answers. I did look for them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb

It should be a strong 2 player game ,but 4 people will be my maximum group. btw i will never play LFW if i have six people haha, that just seems silly

Fury of Dracula looks awesome but i doubt it would get as many plays as LFW.

Major imporant.....

I'm not asking for an Easy deduction game, but a REALLY good one that will make me love this genre. It can be as deep as the sea, as we can invest the time to learn it and figure it out. No 3 hour boardgames though.

Thanks so much for the recommendations so far, you guys rock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROBERTO M
Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War?

It's on my wish list. You have to find what your pieces are in order to move them and capture the briefcase. It's a two player game, kind of an abstract and it seems very entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
elwatoplus wrote:
Have you considered Confusion: Espionage and Deception in the Cold War?

It's on my wish list. You have to find what your pieces are in order to move them and capture the briefcase. It's a two player game, kind of an abstract and it seems very entertaining.

This Game looks sick!!! watching reviews right now. thanks man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend starting with Mr. Jack. It's not horribly complicated, but I think that's a good thing for this genre. Fury of Dracula has all kinds of fiddly rules and a bunch of pieces with no text on them, which only makes a very thorough player aid an absolute requirement.

Mr. Jack also has a very reasonable playtime. The length of Letters from Whitechapel and Fury of Dracula completely killed the games for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
imyourskribe wrote:
I'd recommend starting with Mr. Jack. It's not horribly complicated, but I think that's a good thing for this genre. Fury of Dracula has all kinds of fiddly rules and a bunch of pieces with no text on them, which only makes a very thorough player aid an absolute requirement.

Mr. Jack also has a very reasonable playtime. The length of Letters from Whitechapel and Fury of Dracula completely killed the games for me.

Mr. Jack seems pretty light, and not gripping enough. I dont see this getting as many plays or as many epic moments compared to Letters from Whitechapel. Did you play LFW as a 2 player game or was it an extremely long 6 player game?

A recommendation is better than no recommendation, thanks, but im only dissing Mr. Jack it to let the other people see how i think about it, and that might help with a recomendation. once again, the game could be EXTREMLY DEEP, i will put in the time to understand it, as long as its extremely gripping and not 2.5 hours haha. It could be a mystery game also, but i guess that is what a deduction game is cause usually you have to solve mysteries

Yeah this is a pretty hardcore wish list for a game haha but im curious to see where it will lead me,

Thanks everyone so far for the recommendations, hope to see more haha.
and once again, possible geek gold for the most helpful jibberish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 2-player game of Whitechapel, and it still seemed to drag along for me. Then again, I have no strong love for deduction games. I picked up both Mr. Jack and Fury of Dracula because I also wanted a well-rounded collection wound up trading both away.

I didn't feel like Whitechapel was much deeper than Mr. Jack. Both require a very similar manner of thinking, but the special character abilities in Mr. Jack made it more interesting to me. Fury of Dracula might seem a little "deeper," but I think that's just because there's more going on at once.

I guess really my best advice would be to try before you buy, if you can. I kept thinking I'd really like a deduction game, only to find that I am completely uninterested in the genre.

Whatever you choose, I hope it fits you guys perfectly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack - Overhyped imo. It's an okay introduction to deduction, but I never had anyone request to play it again. My fiancé hated it, and I just sold it a couple months ago. Too simple.

Nuns on the Run - Fun but a bit fiddly. This game is less deduction, and more just fun. My friends seem to enjoy it, but I don't think it's what you're looking for.

Fury of Dracula (second edition) - The Ameritrash version of a deduction game. That may sell you or deter you depending on your group. I actually owned this for years, but the amount of rules, bits, etc. were too intimidating for my playing groups so it never came out. I believe it is a longer game.

Letters from Whitechapel - I highly recommend this game. This has gone over surprisingly well with both family and friends. My non-gaming mother and I enjoyed a game of it over Christmas break as a matter of fact. The rules are simple and the deduction is heavy. Someone mentioned that it's intimidating, but if my mother can play it, then anyone can.

Having said that, if your group is prone to AP, then this game can take a long time. My fiancé is very prone to AP, and our games can take up to 4 hours. If one person in your group is prone to AP, then I'd probably make them Jack. The decisions are generally easier. If players in your group are not prone to AP, then play time can be significantly shorter and definitely within your time limit.

I'd also note that it plays better with less people. I wouldn't recommend playing it with more than 4, and I think it shines with 2 or 3. With 5 or 6, players can get caught out of the action with nothing meaningful to do.

Lastly, the balance of the game is highly dependent on your group. A lot of people complain that Jack wins most of the time, but a lot complain that Jack never wins. There are a lot of small, easy-to-introduce variants that can help balance the game in either direction. I'd just check out the BGG forums after you've given the game a few plays and see where your group is on the 'Jack Power Spectrum.' I wouldn't let the 'Jack always/never wins' complaints influence your decision on the game purchase...

On a completely different note, you may also want to take a look at Eclipse. Your groups preferences make me think that this would be a hit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Mr. Jack - Overhyped imo. It's an okay introduction to deduction, but I never had anyone request to play it again. My fiancé hated it, and I just sold it a couple months ago. Too simple.

Nuns on the Run - Fun but a bit fiddly. This game is less deduction, and more just fun. My friends seem to enjoy it, but I don't think it's what you're looking for.

Fury of Dracula (second edition) - The Ameritrash version of a deduction game. That may sell you or deter you depending on your group. I actually owned this for years, but the amount of rules, bits, etc. were too intimidating for my playing groups so it never came out. I believe it is a longer game.

Letters from Whitechapel - I highly recommend this game. This has gone over surprisingly well with both family and friends. My non-gaming mother and I enjoyed a game of it over Christmas break as a matter of fact. The rules are simple and the deduction is heavy. Someone mentioned that it's intimidating, but if my mother can play it, then anyone can.

Having said that, if your group is prone to AP, then this game can take a long time. My fiancé is very prone to AP, and our games can take up to 4 hours. If one person in your group is prone to AP, then I'd probably make them Jack. The decisions are generally easier. If players in your group are not prone to AP, then play time can be significantly shorter and definitely within your time limit.

I'd also note that it plays better with less people. I wouldn't recommend playing it with more than 4, and I think it shines with 2 or 3. With 5 or 6, players can get caught out of the action with nothing meaningful to do.

Lastly, the balance of the game is highly dependent on your group. A lot of people complain that Jack wins most of the time, but a lot complain that Jack never wins. There are a lot of small, easy-to-introduce variants that can help balance the game in either direction. I'd just check out the BGG forums after you've given the game a few plays and see where your group is on the 'Jack Power Spectrum.' I wouldn't let the 'Jack always/never wins' complaints influence your decision on the game purchase...

On a completely different note, you may also want to take a look at Eclipse. Your groups preferences make me think that this would be a hit!

Thanks man!

I'm decided im totally getting LFW. If Jack always wins we will change something to make it more fair. Im sure theres stuff here about variants and additional rules to even play.

I just hope i can find it

and Confusion, that game looks fantastic, i might get this game too haha . Good thing my birthday is coming up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.