Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Gordier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put Axis and Allies on my christmas list knowing the limit for presents this year was $75. I had hoped to get the regular edition which encompassed the entire world, but instead received the Pacific Theatre edition.

I thought about exchanging it for the regular one that I assumed would be about the same price when I realized that the store sells the '1942' edition. From what I gather it is smaller and is missing some of the components from the older games.

Is this edition worth purchasing and maybe putting the extra credit towards Combat Commander, or would it be ok just purchasing the new edition and keeping the Pacific one? Do both games play differently enough to warrant keeping both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
There are several at $15 & $17 USD within its entry 1942 so if you BUY them 2 copies and ship me ONE as the "transaction fee" for this overall, then we'll each have ONE of this!

It doesn't contain the Italians that "Anniversary" & "Europe 1940" do with theirs. It does have proper German fighters finally, along with Cruisers with everyone too.
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1940 games are actually newer Axis and Allies games than the 1942 one.

1942 is a good game. It's cheap for the amount of stuff you get in it and features pretty much all of the rule improvements from older Axis and Allies games. If you wanted to find out if Axis and Allies is your sort of game I'd go with the 1942 edition.

The 1940 games are a fair bit more advanced. There's a Europe one as well as a Pacific one and you can combine the two to make a massive global game. It adds in a lot of new stuff - extra units, political rules, new nations, a much bigger board with more territories. Personally I think the 1940 global game is absolutely brilliant but it's expensive and is by far the most complicated and long of the Axis and Allies games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kaufmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think the 1940 games, including the global game, are a heap of absolutely awful untested expensive crap - looks great, but no joy to play, it takes forever, and it is unbalanced as hell.
I would try the affordable 1942-edition despite its drawbacks (e.g. small mapboard) - the Anniversary-Edition was perfect, but unfortunately it is no longer in print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games play differently enough that it would warrant that you should keep both. They have distinct variations on a similar theme, but overall are separate games. The 1942 edition can be found for 29.99 normally or as low as $25 at some places.

For that cost I'd say it's worth it to get 1942 while keeping Pacific as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Combat Commander. It's more complex, but much, much, much more replayable, and doesn't take much longer. It's also about the most fun game ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.