Colonial: Europe's Empires Overseas» Forums » General

Subject: Sovereign card, War and allies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the rules, the card text, and the example provided, I understand that a war in this game is between 2 players (only). But would it ever be possible (as an optional rule) to allow other players to enter the war on the side of either player and roll for combat wherever they have pieces (Colonies, territories, Market, etc.)?

It might be an interesting variant to try. Historically, countries would sometimes join in a war if they were bound by an alliance / royal marriage or for opportunistic & practical reasons (balance of power, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Pont
Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes David,

There was such a rule, but I left it out to avoid some complicated downturns.

It was like this:

The two players by which the war started are called "Leaders" of each side.

Modified sequence:

a) Land (where sides share Territories)

no Trade or European war, as in rules 502.

b) Sea (as long as one side can strike)

c) Alliances: starting from First player, every player, in turn order, gets a chance to join the war on one side, becoming an Ally. An Ally cannot change side later on during the war. An Ally must be able to enter the war against opposing Leader according to the normal Diplomacy rules, and also must move back one space on Diplomacy track if possible when doing so.

d) Surrender: in turn order, starting from defending Leader

If a Leader willingly surrenders, all his Allies must also do so, and war is over. The opposite Leader takes a prestige from every opponent and deal them to other protagonists as he wishes.
If an Ally surrenders, he handles one Prestige to opposite Leader, if possible, and war goes on, if possible. Opposite Leader chooses which protagonists will get the Prestige.

Allies add there forces (max 5 dice). Leader chooses enemy casualties.
When one side surrenders or is forced to, the opposite Leader takes a prestige from every opponent and deal them to other protagonists as he wishes.
Note that you must go through a year of war alone.

It's fun. It can make the game a bit longer, although it usually doesn't happen, because people prefer to watch and wait ! It's not bug-proofed. Avoid it in a 3-players game.

With the standard rules, you can still imagine alliances happening when multiple players declaring war on somebody on the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! We will try this next game we play. We've been lucky enough to have 5-6 players for our games, and they have been quick to form alliances, fluid and short term (since they are too competitive to share!), and this was one way to gain an advantage in what is a very competitive and close game.

For 3 player games, we have each player take 2 colors, and it seems to work well (it's certainly easier to find 3 players than 6!). Thanks again for your help with the rules! Happy New Year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Pont
Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks ! Happy New Year to you too.

Let me know the outcome of your play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.