Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that you can only explore through a hex side with a wormhole - page 7 of the rulebook seems pretty clear - Also,
exploring the galaxy is possible only through a wormhole.
. The Explore section is slightly less clear but is does say ...the hex must be oriented so that at least one of the
Wormholes on the hex connects with a Wormhole on
one of the hexes where you have a disc or a Ship
, which amounts to the same thing.

In our first game, the way things turned out there were two hexes which could never be explored. Does that sound correct?

Ta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Hohkala
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess if you placed all the explored ring III hexes so that no wormholes were pointing outwards, then yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
Adrian has it right. Also, it is indeed occasionally possible to create "holes" that cannot be Explored without the Wormhole Generator (most likely in the Middle Systems).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Diachuk
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's almost impossible to be unable to explore Sector III hexes, but if you run out of those, it can be pretty easy to make some Sector II hexes unable to be explored. It's not possible to do this for Sector I hexes, however, because all empty areas in Sector I are connected via the galactic center, and I believe it is impossible to prevent all players from connecting to the galactic center while still leaving another spot unable to be explored including from Sector II.

Still, with a Wormhole Generator, even these can be explored.

Keep in mind that you are still allowed to 'attempt' to explore those spaces. You explore by choosing one of the spaces next to a hex where you have a Ship or an Influence Disc - it doesn't say anything about wormhole connections here.
However, you must either choose to discard the hex, or then place the tile with these restrictions: It must be placed where you explored, and at least one wormhole must connect to one of the wormholes where you have a disc or Ship (or, with the Wormhole Generator, as the exception on the left notes, a half-wormhole must connect at minimum instead).

If you explore into such a space (where you actually have no hexes that would be able to connect to it, and don't have the Wormhole Generator) then you're just forced to discard the tile. It might still be worth doing, if you're Planta and get a free second Explore that you couldn't use elsewhere, just so you can see one more tile and know what's left in the pile for when you actually can explore next. But I think it would mostly be a waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
taggedjc wrote:
It's almost impossible to be unable to explore Sector III hexes, but if you run out of those, it can be pretty easy to make some Sector II hexes unable to be explored. It's not possible to do this for Sector I hexes, however, because all empty areas in Sector I are connected via the galactic center, and I believe it is impossible to prevent all players from connecting to the galactic center while still leaving another spot unable to be explored including from Sector II.

Keep in mind that you are still allowed to 'attempt' to explore those spaces. You explore by choosing one of the spaces next to a hex where you have a Ship or an Influence Disc - it doesn't say anything about wormhole connections here.
However, you must either choose to discard the hex, or then place the tile with these restrictions: It must be placed where you explored, and at least one wormhole must connect to one of the wormholes where you have a disc or Ship (or, with the Wormhole Generator, as the exception on the left notes, a half-wormhole must connect at minimum instead).

If you explore into such a space (where you actually have no hexes that would be able to connect to it, and don't have the Wormhole Generator) then you're just forced to discard the tile. It might still be worth doing, if you're Planta and get a free second Explore that you couldn't use elsewhere, just so you can see one more tile and know what's left in the pile for when you actually can explore next. But I think it would mostly be a waste.

Hmm.. I don't think you're meant to be allowed to explore where you can't possibly connect to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Pop
Romania
Cluj-Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aautio wrote:
taggedjc wrote:

Hmm.. I don't think you're meant to be allowed to explore where you can't possibly connect to.

We played that you were not able to explore where you cannot connect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. Can I check one other thing? There is nothing to stop me Exploring farther and farther away from Galactic centre is there? I mean I could just zig-zag away from GC (wormhole permitting) until the III Outer Sector tiles rune out. Is that correct?

(In our first game, I think we got the impression that the "Outer Ring" tiles had to attempt to form a "ring", but on re-reading the rules I see no such requirement.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
gnomus wrote:
Thanks all. Can I check one other thing? There is nothing to stop me Exploring farther and farther away from Galactic centre is there? I mean I could just zig-zag away from GC (wormhole permitting) until the III Outer Sector tiles rune out. Is that correct?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.