Popular Tags: [View All]
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
A Warhammer Quest Holiday Special!

It has been two months since our entire family has had the chance to pull out Warhammer Quest. My son and i began a new campaign last month, but like most WHQ games, our two attempts with new warbands met with an untimely death on both occasions.

But, alas, during the holidays and with the young'uns out of school, Flint's Five Fortunate Fools were able to ride once again! The Abandoned Keep was now ours and we blazed a trail on our horses into a city. With arrogance and satisfaction we dismounted and strode about the town as if we owned it. Many of you will recall that we have been quite unbeatable. We have been rolling on Monster Tables well above our own in an attempt to provide more of a challenge. We are all Level 3 and not heavenly equipped by any means, but our skills seem to compliment each other well.

But oh how the Winds of Magic seem to change in the Warhammer World as well as our own!

RETRIEVE THE GRIMOIRE
Dungeon Level 4 - Undead

The energy in the room was quite stale and we looked at each other like strangers on a wagon train. We spent quite a few minutes with our custom Adventure Record Sheets, refreshing our memories as to what our brave adventurers were armed with and what special abilities they possessed.

Hello, Old Friends
We had also ended our previous session with the Dwarf (Bearclaw "Chompers"), Assassin (Rayth), and Ex-Blood Bowl Player (Flint Morgan!!) on Day 3 of visiting a Settlement. The Elf (Hakash) and the Wizard (Wundra II) had some catching up to do.

Everything seemed quite ordinary and the Assassin was busy until Day 6, planning a petty killing and looking forward to using a Potion of Disguise to finally complete a Settlement assassination successfully. His previous 3 tries had been met with disgust...

We finished up taking care of all the necessities (bandages, provisions, restocking armour and equipment that had been stripped from us, and so forth).

The Elf had spent quite a bit of gold collecting very nice Elf-made weapons and armour as well as a hefty dose of healing herbs. The Wizard dropped coin on potions and consultations.

And then it happened. Fate. Destiny. Call it what you will. Some higher power had a plan for us - and it was pissed! Our previous adventure had left us without one single luck point or re-roll and we were quite vulnerable. Why we were walking about the City with such smugness we cannot say - except for the fact that we are Flint's Five Fortunate Fools.

Fate Rears It's Ugly Head
#1 The Wizard is injured in a street accident and is bed-ridden for six days.

#2 The Assassin botches the Assassination by rolling a '1' and loses 3 point of Rogue Status, bringing him down to 1. He/she will have to roll two dice to see if he can continue his/her life of murder.

#3 The Dwarf has a swell time in the marketplace watching a show with Mungo and his Amazing Monkeys. They run between his legs, jump on his shoulders and entertain the crowd thoroughly. Hours later, he realizes that his very identity has been stolen by the rotten little beasties! The Fanged Death Helm is nowhere to be seen! "Chompers" is no more! The Dwarf is called "Bearclaw" for the rest of the Adventure and my 10 year old son is beside himself. He barely has the will to continue the game and his eyes well up with water and there is a lump in his throat. He hangs his head low...

#4 The Elf, inexplicably goes on a drinking binge with an old friend, visiting six Alehouses in the City!? She staggers back to the group a thousand gold pieces lighter.

#5 We grab some final items, trying to avoid any more disasters until Day 9, when the Wizard will be well enough to travel and leave this blasted city. The Elf must pay the new 'Adventurer's Tax' that a corrupt city official levies against her. She is nearly penniless and has to sell a Treasure Item to afford room and board.

#6 Day 9 arrives and we all agree to depart before it gets any worse. The Assassin rolls his dice... and a '1' appears! There is nothing we can do. He must abandon his/her life as an Assassin. My 12 year old son is visually distraught and quite upset. He's made the most fatal mistake in Warhammer Quest: he is attached to his Warrior...

He is allowed to change profession; either Bounty Hunter, Outlaw, Seadog, or Witch Hunter. He chooses the Outlaw, a masked desperado who lives as a thorn in the side of the authorities. Quite appropriate and the selection seamlessly bridges the new turn of events in our story. Rayth abandons his/her old ways and his name (we never quite knew what sex the Assassin was anyway?), exchanges his/her starting weapons and skills (but retains the two he/she had received as an Assassin since were deemed appropriate to his new Warrior), adjusts Weapon Skill (-1) and Attacks (+1) - and the transformation is complete! For the first time the cloak comes off and we find that this warrior is definitely a male. Mystery solved.

Let the Adventure Begin!
The Outlaw strides forward quite confidently, taking the lantern from the Dwarf. And so our Adventure ends quite interestingly and a new adventure begins - to the Land of the Dead, where (as many of you who own the Catacombs of Terror Expansion know) much Objective Room Treasure and permanent statistic additions await! Our target is Larenscheld, the Necromancer, and our mission is to stop him from awakening the Dread King.

The journey to his lair would have taken 3 weeks, but in our first night in the realm, an army of Undead clang past us, calling us to join them. The Outlaw and Wizard can not resist and the rest of the warband follow in haste, trying to break the spell. We are successful in bringing our comrades around but end up with two more weeks of travel. The magic altar in the next week makes it well worth it and we all put treasure upon it, hoping for something extra good! Apparently we forgot that Fate thing. Fortune was not to be. Four of us roll 1's (pass a Fear/Terror roll during the Adventure) and are glad that nothing bad could happen. (But it is more proof that it is going to be one of the gaming sessions.)

We arrive at our destination in one piece and we find the entrance to the mysterious pyramid. Around a corner we enter the Hall of Death. Peering through the first doorway triggers an Event. We are immediately set up by wraiths on Carrion. It's a simple battle and we easily defeat them with little blood spilled of our own. Down a collapsed passage to a Dungeon Door we go when suddenly Tomb Guardians, Wights, and Ghosts appear. It is tight quarters and the Dwarf is bringing up the rear. With nothing to do and no one but the Elf able to land a missile shot from afar, the Outlaw bursts into the new Dungeon Room! We are met with Skeletons Captains drawing their bows and pointing them in our direction. We are now surrounded!

The Dwarf has his hands full at the end of the passageway as we set upon the Skeleton Captains. They prove much more difficult to kill and as the Dwarf comments on more than one occasion, "It's taking the four of you to finish those guys off?! I need someone with a bow or crossbow over here!"

The Dwarf (Chompers RIP) hasn't been himself since the incident with Mungo and the Monkeys and the poor lad can't seem to do much damage to the Wights. They, in contrast, are wearing him down slowly, even with his Rune of Regeneration and the Wizard's healing. Suddenly a pit appears, sucking some of the monsters into a dark abyss. It's a mysterious pit and each Warrior is allowed to look into it one time once the Monsters are off the Board. No one is ready to take any chances as to what might happen (i wouldn't read the results unless the players made the decision to look!). It seems likes ages before we are able to clear the Dungeon Room and the Corridor of Monsters. We finish exploring the final Board Section and find a simple corridor (without surprise to anyone) and therefore return to the Hall of Death to try a new path.

The Outlaw chooses the next doorway and another Event is triggered. Doom Wolves! They charge into the room with teeth gnashing and claws ripping. We position ourselves, using the pit as an obstacle, but another Event brings more Carrion into the room - and they fly and hover over the pit at their convenience. Back in the second room after hours of gaming, we are all exhausted as players. No one is really that happy (except me, since i've gotten the chance to play Warhammer Quest again!). 50% of our Treasure rolls thus far have been 'Gold' so we have little to help us on our quest to find and defeat Larenscheld.

A Bitter Session Ending
So our first gaming session ends with little progress but a chunk of gold in our packs. Everyone is having second thoughts about looking into the pit. Wundra II is always unpredictable, but always adventurous too and she declares that she will look in the pit when the battle is over. The Dwarf is feeling quite unlucky and he won't go near it. And, speaking of luck, what about the Elf, Hakash? We have mentioned nothing of the 9 year old girl who we know as a '6' factory. Her luck all but gone, she looked like a normal Elf, dodging and damaging little. And myself? I remarked, "I couldn't hit the enemy if they grabbed me and slammed THEMSELVES into my shoulder pads!" My 'Boot to the Head' was even more terrible and i couldn't kick a skull if it was attached to my foot. Again, this gaming session was quite strange and none of us felt quite right.

And so i leave you again, loyal readers, to contemplate and speculate on how this Adventure will end.

Poll
What will be the fate of our Heroes?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Everyone will die in a blaze of glory!
57.1% 12
At least two Warriors will die in agony.
19.0% 4
At least one of the Warriors will die heroically (or in cowardice).
14.3% 3
The Warriors will flee the Dungeon in disgrace.
4.8% 1
The Warriors will finish the Adventure like heroes.
4.8% 1
Voters 21
This poll is now closed.   21 answers
Poll created by the_bummer
Closes: Wed Jan 4, 2012 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PollutedMonkey wrote:
Great write-up!

Shouldn't it be posted in the Session section though?

I didn't notice that till you mentioned it. But it looks like you are right.
:)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.