BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Intergrating a game into your regular play rotation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael R.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have a whole bunch of games in my collection, about half of which have actually been played, and even fewer which I would consider as being part of the regular rotation that gets played often and that we can easily remember the rules to.

My goal for 2012 is to play all my games and I was wondering what people do to get a game in their collection into this state, so that it becomes 'accepted' and is not just a game that gets played once or twice and then forgotten.

As the main rule learner/teacher I'm aware that a bad introductory game session can even kill the game for good - especially if it's 2 player game for my wife and I. So, how do you go about getting a game to be part of your permanent collection and not just a box on a shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
it actually depends on your games and the group you play them with

for me i have different games that caters to my different groups of friends. and when after a play of the game and they like it, i try to take it out again the next time we meet ( best is if they immediately suggest to play it again ).

and also, i try to stir a bit of "controversy" among them by saying i will beat them next time ( if i lose ) or that there's no one better than me at the game ( when i win, and in a friendly ribbing way of course )

but of course there are games that you take out and they dont like it, or even you yourself dont like it. then maybe i might want to try again sometime later, and if it still fails, i will trade it away.

and i have come to realise that when i first started having my friends over, they would request for certain games, and i would never refuse ( even if i really didnt want to play it ). but after awhile, when you start introducing games to them that they enjoy, they will generally trust your choices from then on. so well, pile them with what you want to play ! yay !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
mjrobertson wrote:
My goal for 2012 is to play all my games and I was wondering what people do to get a game in their collection into this state, so that it becomes 'accepted' and is not just a game that gets played once or twice and then forgotten.

I just take the game with me when we play and say, let's play X. Nothing fancy about it

That said, I doubt you can have 100 games in your rotation!

Quote:
As the main rule learner/teacher I'm aware that a bad introductory game session can even kill the game for good

Nah, you can try again later, don't worry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the following helps:
1. Make sure my wife is energetic enough to learn a new game
2. Know the rules well to avoid downtime
3. Have the game preset up before bringing her to the table
4. Mix it up between deep and light games

If I follow those rules then things tend to go smoother when I am showing my wife new games. That is likely to get new ones a good first impression.

To ensure that they stick around I might pick games that share features in common with some favorite games that are getting overplayed. That way it can be a new flavor of an old favorite...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morrow
United States
Macomb
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely agree with other poster about knowing the rules beforehand and having it set up in advance. I have noticed that a lot of casual players are turned off by too lengthy rules discussions and too lengthy set up processes!

I am also fortunate that I have 3 or 4 sets of couples that game with my wife and I so I try to learn what types of games and gaming mechanisms that they like and I try to choose games based on our guests. There is enough diversity in my group to keep a lot of the games I like to play to most in frequent rotation. That said, my collection at 46ish is small compared to most on here!

SP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mb
Redward wrote:
For me the following helps:
1. Make sure my wife is energetic enough to learn a new game
2. Know the rules well to avoid downtime
3. Have the game preset up before bringing her to the table
4. Mix it up between deep and light games

If I follow those rules then things tend to go smoother when I am showing my wife new games. That is likely to get new ones a good first impression.

To ensure that they stick around I might pick games that share features in common with some favorite games that are getting overplayed. That way it can be a new flavor of an old favorite...

You forgot the most important one...

-Take her out to dinner by surprise the night BEFORE
-Feed her booze in the minutes leading up to your suggestion of gameplay

Works 60% of the time, every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Learning the rules such that you can explain the game with at most minimal reference to the rules is also recommended.

In terms of getting games into rotation, I think the best way is to try to have two games in an evening - one should be an old favorite (in particular one that the more reluctant players really enjoy - this would be PR or Settlers in our case) - the other would be the new game, and as per other posts make sure you have done your work before the session - got the rules sorted etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game is in our game groups regular rotation. Of course that rotation is about 4-5 years long. 1/3 of the games I played last year I hadn't played for at least 4 years prior....But they all do come around again...eventually. You just have to be here a while.

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for a nice format for teaching rules I think one can be found here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8132075#8132075
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.