Subject: Operations Range rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is Scenario 4. The Germans have used all of their units other than Vehicles, and have expended two actions. Since their Operations Range is 3-4, they MUST expend one more action AND MUST NOT expend more than two actions. But a Vehicle counts as THREE actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was an illegal play. You only had the option of using one action and then using one of the vehicles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Myers
United States
Warwick
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you are trying to set up a situation where the rule will not work and puts the player in an impossible situation. What really happened is that as Sean mentioned that is an illegal move as you should have moved the Vehicle first imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sounds like you are trying to set up a situation where the rule will not work

Sounds like I'm just moving normally making the best move possible and suddenly find I am in a corner.

Let's wait and see if Jim intends the rule to force players to use units in a certain sequence. My guess would be that the cost of Guns, Vehicles and Artillery was increased late on to '3' without realising the effect this would have on a few scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Myers
United States
Warwick
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether that is the best move are not it still leaves you unable to meet
the operation range requirement and would go against the rule. What did your opponent say when this situation came up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom and Sean are right. You have to fall within your operations range. A restrictive operations range may force your hand near the end of a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A restrictive operations range may force your hand near the end of a turn.

Fair enough, though I am surprised. What I expected was that you would say that you can NEVER exceed the maximum but if you cannot meet the minimum for any reason (no units left or high value units left) then play passes to the opponent. This situation can only arise in five scenarios BTW.

Tom, I play solitaire, but I'll turn your question round. If YOUR opponent had just made a move which revealed your hidden 88 and then you found he was in an Operations Range bind, what would YOU say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Myers
United States
Warwick
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I knew him well and thought he was honest I would say okay stuff like that happens in a friendly game, if I thought he was trying to take advantage of the rules I wouldn't play against him again. If I didn't know him well I would keep it in mind watch him closer until I had a better idea what kind of player he was.

In solo games If I make a mistake like that and I have already moved past that phase I would just let it go. In your first example I would rule that the previous moves would stand, but the vehicle would have to wait for the next German activation to move, even though it would go under the operations range. Lots of strange stuff happens in war and maybe that vehicle didn't get the order to move on time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a revelation about this last night which I will share with you. There is a game mechanism that can place you in an Op Range bind whether you like it or not by interrupting your turn and eliminating some of your Unused units. It is called 'Op Firing Artillery'.devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Jim, Tom or Sean Or who ever else knows what tey are talking about :D ),
What happens when a side has an operation range of 3-4, and it only has one or two unused unit left?

And can the retreat option be used in the Rout phase?

Thanks
Dean Halley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What happens when a side has an operation range of 3-4, and it only has one or two unused unit left?

The side uses their remaining units.

Quote:
And can the retreat option be used in the Rout phase?

No, that is for moving. In the rout phase, if you fail a morale check you have to retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.