Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of wargames on Amazon's android app store.

Since Xmas the sales of these has shot up from 1 or 2 a day to 10 or more.

Is this due to everyone unwrapping a new Kindle Fire tablet on Xmas, or something else? Has anyone else noticed this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This might help explain the spike in sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kerpob2 wrote:
Is this due to everyone unwrapping a new Kindle Fire tablet on Xmas, or something else? Has anyone else noticed this?

I noticed a huge jump when the Kindle Fire released and another huge jump on Christmas day.

My American Civil War Gazette app went from 10-20 per day to 30-40 per day when the Fire released and has been at 100+ per day since Christmas.

But, the Nook Shop has had an even bigger increase. Before Christmas and it was doing 500-700 per day. Starting Christmas day it jumped to 2500+ per day.

Because the markets are so different, I don't think you can infer any relation to sales between the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet though.

Another interesting observation is that it seems like these are level jumps rather than one-time spikes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
kerpob2 wrote:

I noticed a huge jump when the Kindle Fire released and another huge jump on Christmas day.

My American Civil War Gazette app went from 10-20 per day to 30-40 per day when the Fire released and has been at 100+ per day since Christmas.

But, the Nook Shop has had an even bigger increase. Before Christmas and it was doing 500-700 per day. Starting Christmas day it jumped to 2500+ per day.

Because the markets are so different, I don't think you can infer any relation to sales between the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet though.

Another interesting observation is that it seems like these are level jumps rather than one-time spikes.

Never heard of the Nook Shop... sounds promising. I'll check it out.

Anyhow - glad it's not just me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kerpob2 wrote:

It's the default market for Barnes & Nobles' Nook Color and Nook Tablet.

The Nook Tablet, spec wise, is almost identical to the Kindle Fire, but with more storage, a longer battery and an SD micro slot... but $50 more.

It's not difficult to install the Amazon Appstore on the Nook Tablet without rooting, but I don't think most users do.

Appwise, the Nook Shop is much smaller than the Amazon Appstore so I think most developers can get a more prominent placement there right now.

Development-wise, no major changes from the Kindle Fire... except no ads. Apps must be ad-free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
kerpob2 wrote:

It's the default market for Barnes & Nobles' Nook Color and Nook Tablet.

The Nook Tablet, spec wise, is almost identical to the Kindle Fire, but with more storage, a longer battery and an SD micro slot... but $50 more.

It's not difficult to install the Amazon Appstore on the Nook Tablet without rooting, but I don't think most users do.

Appwise, the Nook Shop is much smaller than the Amazon Appstore so I think most developers can get a more prominent placement there right now.

Development-wise, no major changes from the Kindle Fire... except no ads. Apps must be ad-free.

Had a quick look, but you need a US tax payer ID to register as a developer. I'll have to email them as I am not in US!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update some 3-4 months on. Sales of my games on Amazon are still higher than on Google Play (as the market is now called), but Google is catching up, probably due to the constant increase in generic Android smartphone and tablet sales.

Meanwhile I've finally got my US tax ID joined the Nook shop (free, and nothing extra required, apart from some screenshots), so we'll soon see how that compares to the other 2 and see if it matches rvinyard's experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Xmas and sales have doubled on nook, quadrupled on Amazon, but about same on play. Anyone else seeing this?

Suggests kindles were a big Xmas gift as were nooks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
kerpob2 wrote:
Another Xmas and sales have doubled on nook, quadrupled on Amazon, but about same on play. Anyone else seeing this?

Suggests kindles were a big Xmas gift as were nooks.

Could it be that the Kindle is marketed pretty differently - as a content delivery device, as that's how I read their print and screen ads for it - compared to other standard android tablets like the nexus 7, which are marketed more on tech specs and the "endless opportunity" that apple also play to. We bought our son a Nexus 7 after I played about with both the google fire and the nexus, in partly because the "what are you going to buy next" hard sell was so apparent on the amazon device.

Another probably simpler thing, is that the google play store is still trying to wean people off thinking that every app should be free!

anyhow, best of luck on your sales, I'll try to have a look at some of your games if I can wrestle the N7 from my son at any point soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brief update - big sales boost yesterday (factor of 3) thanks, I suppose, to the free USD$5 worth Amazon coins they've given to everyone who owns a kindle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same again this Xmas - no change on Play, Nook slight increase, iOS slight increase (only got one free game on this though), Kindle massive increase (factor of 3 again).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Stevenson
United States
Columbus
Ga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you breakdown your sales by % per platform?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have none for iOS, so for the other 3:
Play 25%
Nook 25%
Amazon 50%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Stevenson
United States
Columbus
Ga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin T.
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting. I wonder if Kindle Fire is morphing into the Android equivalent of the iPad, offering a simple, streamlined interface and a more formal market than the open air bazaar that is the Play Store. Fingers crossed that this encourages more developers to explore Android development, at least through the Kindle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.