Alcatraz: The Scapegoat» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Task Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Horácio Aguiar
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played the game last night, and it was a fun game, all four player stayed in prison for a long time devil

But we detect a problem that may occur in rare ocasions (it happened with us), the game may became impossible to win. Why? Because of poor luck when drawing new tasks.

What happened with us was, we keep drawing the same tasks, task E only came out once, when there was only two guards to enter, and task F never appeared.

The variant that i suggest is:

When we draw a new task to place in a location, it only enters if: all the previous requirements to place a new task are met PLUS if at least one player doesn't have that task, otherwise place the task in the bottom of the deck and draw a new task.

Example:

Player 1 -> Task : ABCD
Player 2 -> Task : AD
Player 3 (Scapegoat) -> Task : AC
Player 4 -> Task : ACD

Player 2 completed Task E

Player 2 -> Task : ADE
Player 4 -> Task : ACD

Player 2 draw Task B

Player 2 -> Task : ADE
Player 4 -> Task : ABCD

Player 3 draw Task A, because every player has Task A he puts this one in the bottom of the deck and draw a new one.

Player 3 draw Task D, it's placed on a location because Player 3 doesn't have this task.

I didn't test it yet, but i think it may work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Zuchowski
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The situation you described is really, really rare, but still - in theory (and, as we can see, sometimes in practice ) it is possible.
And the solution you proposed seems a really good home rule!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hélio Andrade
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the same game reported here by Horácio and it was indeed frustrating to realize at the end of the game that we never had the chance to escape from the very beginning of the game.

Another variant could be to setup the tasks deck in a proper way, like spliting each letter into 2 sub-decks, shuffle them and them put one on top of the other. So you know that there are all the letters in the first half of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.