Duarte Conceicao
Portugal
Carcavelos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing 1846 last night I left the Lisbon weekly meeting with a few questions that I’d like to address to more experienced players of this game.

Player A and Player B got the Big4 and the MS on the private draft and on the first SR opened the IC and the GT and quickly layed track with both to get bigger income earlier than Player C (NYC) and D (C&O) (who got the mail contract and the shipping company).

Therefore A and B on the SR 4 or SR 5 can’t recall properly, opened Erie and B&O and made some train rush that left them with 2 trains in 1 company and one train in other, this also left C and D with only 1 train in their companies.

The game went on with a few OR’ with the GT (who still had 50% of shares in the treasury and was cashing in around 170~200) buying the first train of phase 4 who triggered an EMT for player D in C&O.

With all players on the stock limit the game went on for 2 more set of OR’s until the bank was depleted (around 4h of total play).

The last SR was particularly painful for player C whose shares were dumped in the open market and traded for the freshly juiced C&O (7/8 train) shares with bigger appreciation and larger runs. This left player C out of the run for the first place since no one picked up NYC shares and they went one step left in the market.

Final Scores

Player A - 5963
Player B - 6016
Player C - 5873
Player D - 4197

I guess my main question regarding this game is how can a player with only one company win on 1846. In the last 2 or 3 set of OR’s players A and B had 14 paying shares against the 13 of player C and D. An extra share paying out every OR in a pretty balanced game (excluding player D) was a great advantage to player A and B. I admit I haven’t played much this game but every time I did one of the players with 2 companies won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No time to read the details, but I've played 1846 a dozen times and have only seen a two-company player win once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have records for many 1846 games, and it's about even between running 1 company and running 2 companies.

Although I haven't updated the data in a while, I have records of 30 3-player games. In 10 of them the winner had 1 presidency, in 12 of them 2 presidencies, in 4 of them 3 presidencies, and in 4 of them either 1 or 2, I can't tell. I have records of 17 4-player games. In 8 of them the winner had 1 presidency, in 9 of them 2 presidencies, and in 2 of them 3 presidencies. I have records of 10 5-player games. In all but one, the winner had just 1 presidency.

I have to admit that I would never (well, almost never) start the C&O if I had a reasonable alternative. But (for example) the NYC can make a lot of money early in the game running multiple 2-trains (if you build Erie to Cleveland and back, you could in theory run 4 2-trains for $26 a share in OR 1.2 (or $28 a share with the Mail Contract.)

If I get the Steamship Company, I will often give serious consideration to starting the B&O. In OR 1.2 you can run two 2-trains for $19 a share ($21 a share with the Mail Contract.)

One important thing to do in 1846: The Race for the Midwest is to buy shares out of the Initial Offering in an opponent's company if it's running for big money. This gives you a share of the action and makes sure your opponent doesn't keep paying out full dividends while also funding a big train. It sounds like you didn't do that for the GT.

See also my Session Report here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/729928/another-unique-ga...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duartec wrote:
The game went on with a few OR’ with the GT (who still had 50% of shares in the treasury and was cashing in around 170~200) buying the first train of phase 4 who triggered an EMT for player D in C&O.

Eric hit it on the head. This is why Player B won. The other players should have bought all the GT shares from treasury long before this stage of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
More simply, this is not a game about running good companies. It is a timing game about accurately predicting which will be the best shares and buying them before-hand-- just with the kicker that buying shares makes them worse. Unlike almost all 1830-derivatives, better-shares are more important than more shares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte Conceicao
Portugal
Carcavelos
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone, your feedback is truly appreciated and it help us grow as 18XX players.

I've now a better understanding of this game and how to play it properly.

Have a nice 2012!
DxC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.