Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: "On Order" item status rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: one_more_box [+] [View All]
Mm C
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Give me a man ripe for a breakdown, and I'll end the world for you.
badge
Our roads may be golden or broken or lost, but we'll walk on them willingly knowing the cost: we won't take our place on the shelves; it's better to fly and it's better to die, say the wicked girls saving ourselves.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I was thinking it might be useful to have an "On order" status for games; this is a "This will be 'Owned' as soon as the shipment comes in, but for now I don't have it" level.

I would find this useful, because I periodically put in a big order of stuff from the States or where-ever; since it often takes up to six weeks to arrive in Australia (if that quick), I don't really consider myself able to say I "own" it before it's actually in my hands, but at the same time I would like to record it in my collection. (And having a status checkbox means I have a quick way of filtering to brag to my friends about "See? This is what I'm getting! As soon as it arrives!")

I have been doing this using the "pre-ordered" status until now, because I had never pre-ordered an item and it seemed the best fit for the purpose. ("Own" isn't right, because it isn't mine yet. "Wishlist 5" isn't right, because I have it on order, and that's for things that I would like people to buy me/I would like to buy.) But now I actually *have* pre-ordered something (Pizza Theory), so that no longer holds true. Also, I have a feeling I may be poisoning the data statistics, if anyone actually cared about that sort of thing.

Pros: I would be able to correctly mark and filter by items in transit, with the filter acting partially as a reminder to update their status when received.

Cons:
1) It's one more filter checkbox on an already fairly crowded list.
2) I don't know how many people would use it aside from me.
3) The stock standard "Difficulty of implementation" comment.

This is probably more of a "discussion" than a demand; I don't know how many people would actually use it, and there are already a lot of options in the location. Maybe there's a better way to record these sorts of things that other people use? What am I missing, here?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I use pre-ordered for this, too.

The last time this was suggested, I said that maybe just re-naming the status to "(Pre-)Ordered" would solve the problem.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Missed it by that much ...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I use pre-ordered for this function also
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Really? That is just slightly OCD/pedantic, but hey different strokes.

I use owned. Nobody could possibly care about the in transit status aside from me. If it fails to show up I'm going to notice.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Really? That is just slightly OCD/pedantic, but hey different strokes.

I use owned. Nobody could possibly care about the in transit status aside from me. If it fails to show up I'm going to notice.



Yeah, I feel this way too and this is what i usually do, but I guess with long lead times (e.g. 6+ weeks mentioned OP) and if your collection is maybe used for a game group to plan games, etc., it could be misleading.

Pre-order seems the best bet, if you want to avoid the situation above.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to pick one or the other. I click Owned and I click Pre-ordered.

It shows up in my owned collection for various purposes, and it's easy to see exactly what's on its way to me. You can't get confused on game night, because you see it's only pre-ordered in your owned list.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
...
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I use the Preordered status to indicate.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I use pre-ordered.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
I use pre-ordered for this, too.


baub64 wrote:
I use pre-ordered for this function also


shigadeyo wrote:
This is what I use the Preordered status to indicate.


autumnweave wrote:
I use pre-ordered.


Ditto.

It makes the OCD corner of my brain cry a little, but really I haven't heard much from it since I started organizing my bookshelves by book/not book.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.