Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Randolph
United States
Strawberry Plains
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had a new player try what I thought was an interesting tactic but there was some discussion as to whether it was a legal move (it was allowed for the game). Here is the setup:
- He had a cube on the scoring board (3rd floor).
- He thought one of his cubes was in the building on Floor 6.
- He wasn't sure where any other cubes were.

The rules state that you have to have a cube on the scoring board to cover your tracks. If you do, you can choose a floor that you think you have cube. If you are correct, you can remove a equal number of cubes from the corresponding floor of the scoring track. Are you able to select a building floor that does not have one of your cubes on the the corresponding scoring board floor, as long as you have at least one cube somewhere on the scoring board? (Doing this would not allow you to remove a cube from the scoring board.)

In our game, the player just didn't want to put any more of his cubes in the tower with a bad guess, but it could be a strategic move if you known you have several cubes on a floor (especially a victim floor). One argument against was that it wasn't "covering your tracks" if you couldn't remove an exposed clue and therefore not in the spirit of the game. A post game counter point was that you were covering your tracks by removing "undiscovered clues".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me, but I would have ruled that this was not allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nathan
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That feels within the letter of the rules, but against the spirit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a gamey exploitation of a quirk in the rules, however I don't think the rules as presently worded explicitly prohibit it. Maybe a poor translation?

At any rate, I don't think this would be optimal play very often, since it only makes sense if that player is leading. And if that player is leading, all the other players can simply guess that players cubes ONLY (for an example) for a round of turns and load up the board.

I think that player probably had a better option for his turn which would have moved the game closer to its end (assuming he was leading).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
miker7716 wrote:
I had a new player try what I thought was an interesting tactic but there was some discussion as to whether it was a legal move (it was allowed for the game). Here is the setup:
- He had a cube on the scoring board (3rd floor).
- He thought one of his cubes was in the building on Floor 6.
- He wasn't sure where any other cubes were.

The rules state that you have to have a cube on the scoring board to cover your tracks. If you do, you can choose a floor that you think you have cube. If you are correct, you can remove a equal number of cubes from the corresponding floor of the scoring track. Are you able to select a building floor that does not have one of your cubes on the the corresponding scoring board floor, as long as you have at least one cube somewhere on the scoring board? (Doing this would not allow you to remove a cube from the scoring board.)

In our game, the player just didn't want to put any more of his cubes in the tower with a bad guess, but it could be a strategic move if you known you have several cubes on a floor (especially a victim floor). One argument against was that it wasn't "covering your tracks" if you couldn't remove an exposed clue and therefore not in the spirit of the game. A post game counter point was that you were covering your tracks by removing "undiscovered clues".

Example: I had two cubes on 2nd Floor on the Investigation Sheet. I heard and know for a fact that none of my cubes are on 2nd Floor in the Tower. I could still clear myself on (for example) the 5th Floor, and if I had cubes there, I would simply remove them from the tower and drop them back in again.

Nothing would come off the investigation sheet since I had no cubes on the corresponding floor. The rules do not forbid this strategy. If they did, then you would only be able to accuse instead. This strategy allows you to drop your cubes in again and hopefully to get them to fall on the corresponding floor matching the sheet so you can eventually clear those cubes off.

The rules do not forbid this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.