Subject: Buying creatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
The English rules state that, when you buy a creature, you must use the highest card in your hand plus at least one card from under your city. Is this 100% accurate? That is, I can only use one card from my hand (the highest) and I must use at least one card from under my city? Or can I use any number of cards from my hand, and skip using a card from under the city if I like? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cayluster wrote:
The English rules state that, when you buy a creature, you must use the highest card in your hand plus at least one card from under your city. Is this 100% accurate? That is, I can only use one card from my hand (the highest) and I must use at least one card from under my city? Or can I use any number of cards from my hand, and skip using a card from under the city if I like? Thanks!
Yes, this is accurate. You are free to use the second best card from your hand if you wish, but that doesn't offer you anything.

Examples:
- You have no influence under your city. You are not able to buy because you need at least one
- You have an 8 influence card in hand and one influence under your city. You can buy any creature up to a cost of 9, then you discard your whole hand and the one card under your city
- You have a 4 and a 2 in your hand and two cards under your city. If you choose to buy a creature costing 4, you can reveal your 4 and use one card under your city (you might be overplaying but it's allowed), or use the 2 from your hand and spend two cards from your city, but that is bad for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification - I basically wanted to confirm that you can't use more than one card from your hand. The English rules do stipulate that you must use the highest one, though; is this not the case in the German rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the english rules as well but don't remember them exactly. If the rules say so then I suppose you are forced to discard the best card. Not that discarding a weaker card has any advantage at all perhaps it's a safety rule so that new players don't overspend by mistake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
since you discard your hand after your purchase, I can't see why you would use anything but the biggest purchase power from your hand to make the purchase with anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
fograsher wrote:
since you discard your hand after your purchase, I can't see why you would use anything but the biggest purchase power from your hand to make the purchase with anyway.

Yeah, I know - that's why I found it strange that the English rules stipulate you must use the highest one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook is certainly awkward in its English translation, but still usable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.