Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If lay a beetle as my 1st piece, then instead of adding another piece I put the beetle on top of my opponent's piece, doesn't that prevent them from adding or moving any pieces? I can continue adding pieces until I move my beetle, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but good try though. =)
You can't move pieces before you placed your queen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergiu Singeorzan
Romania
Miercurea Ciuc
Harghita
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And u can't move your beetle over your opponent bug after u placed your queen because u will break the hive rule. (if the queen is the second piece u place)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Colombo
United States
Raleigh / Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
BlueLineGameStudios.com
badge
BlueLine Game Studios - Digital Tabletop games since 2011
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an actual legal configuration that results in a similar state to what achasteen was asking. I'm not sure what happens then...

1. Black places beetle
2. White places queen
3. Black places queen next to beetle, but NOT far-opposite white's queen.
4. White moves queen to the space where it now touches both the black beetle and the black queen
5. Black's beetle hops on the white queen.

Now it's white's turn... can it place pieces?

It'd be a very unlikely series of events, but I'm coding the rules for a video-game version so I spend my time thinking about these things

Anyone know what happens in this case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanColombo wrote:
There is an actual legal configuration that results in a similar state to what achasteen was asking. I'm not sure what happens then...

1. Black places beetle
2. White places queen
3. Black places queen next to beetle, but NOT far-opposite white's queen.
4. White moves queen to the space where it now touches both the black beetle and the black queen
5. Black's beetle hops on the white queen.

Now it's white's turn... can it place pieces?

It'd be a very unlikely series of events, but I'm coding the rules for a video-game version so I spend my time thinking about these things

Anyone know what happens in this case?

No, I don't think so. Black proceeds surrounding white's bee while white watches.

I actually had one of these plays (or something similar)... and it was a game we will never forget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
White cannot place any more pieces. As after the first move, any new pieces placed must only touch their own colour. The white (covered) Queen is now classed as black for placing purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
And to be clear: if you have no legal move (can't move a piece and can't bring in a new piece), you pass your turn, and your opponent moves again.

This is in the Hive FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Ingersoll
United States
Port Orange
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note that at BoardSpace, a rule has been implemented that disallows the Queen being the first bug placed by either player. (I don't know if this has been written into the official Hive rules or not)

The reason is that too many draws occur in games where the opposing Queens are adjacent.

When two experienced players face off and one or the other of them places the Queen first, the other is at a serious disadvantage. So this virtually forces both players to place the Queen first. And this leads to a high percentage of boring draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.