Mahjong» Forums » Rules

Subject: Limit hand scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mina Ise
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was looking over the scoring tables for Riichi, and I noticed something confusing. For hands that were worth under 5 fan, there were two tables - whether you won with ron or tsumo. But there was only one table for limit hands.

So if I'm East, I have a mangan hand and I win with a tsumo, will everyone pay me 4000 points, for a total of 12000?

But if everything is same as in the last example, except that I win with a ron, will the person from whom I stole the discard from, have to pay the entire sum of 12000 points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that is correct.

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mina Ise
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you.

Another question just popped up in my mind. There are only two rounds in Riichi – East and South, right? But there's a rule that if no-one has over 30000 points by the end of the South round, then the game will still continue.

Does that mean they will then play the West round? Because otherwise, in Riichi, the prevalent winds are only ever East or South.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm not a guru on riichi, I believe the rule on continuing the game after the south round if no one has scored over 30,000 points is rare. I've never heard of it before.

If you want to know pretty near everything about riichi, I urge you to read Barticle's guide to riichi. A download link is on the right of the page.

http://www.uspml.com/site/downloads/entry/barticles_japanese...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pasteet wrote:
Thank you.

Another question just popped up in my mind. There are only two rounds in Riichi – East and South, right? But there's a rule that if no-one has over 30000 points by the end of the South round, then the game will still continue.

Does that mean they will then play the West round? Because otherwise, in Riichi, the prevalent winds are only ever East or South.

Yes. Additionally (at least in on-line games like Tenhou.net), the game ends immediately whenever someone scores above 30000.

Whizkid wrote:
While I'm not a guru on riichi, I believe the rule on continuing the game after the south round if no one has scored over 30,000 points is rare. I've never heard of it before.

While indeed not common, it does happen. I think roughly once in 30-40 games or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Henkka wrote:
Whizkid wrote:

While indeed not common, it does happen. I think roughly once in 30-40 games or so.

I meant the rule, not the frequency. I do listen to the ReachMahjong.com podcast, and I have not heard it mentioned there, and this was the first time I had seen the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
Henkka wrote:
Whizkid wrote:

I meant the rule, not the frequency. I do listen to the ReachMahjong.com podcast, and I have not heard it mentioned there, and this was the first time I had seen the rule.

Oh I see, sorry about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: riichi
pasteet wrote:
There are only two rounds in Riichi – East and South, right?

Originally, riichi players played four rounds, just like standard Chinese mahjong. But the game got too long (with the repeated deals, and drawn hands, and such), and the people got busier (if not less patient), so they truncated the game after two rounds (and then, in some environments, after one round).

Quote:
But there's a rule that if no-one has over 30000 points by the end of the South round, then the game will still continue.

That rule (called sha-iri or nishi-iri, I'm not sure which is the correct reading for "west" here) is one of the thousands of "optional rules" in riichi. There is not one riichi, there is a class of hundreds if not thousands of variants collectively called riichi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.