Subject: A few questions after first game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Er heisst
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

We played the "Lord of the Rings"-boardgame for the first time recently, and although we enjoyed it immensely, a few questions popped up that we could not find an answer for immediately in the rules. Therefore, without further ado:

1. There is an event that requires every player to discard one joker symbol, or be required to discard three shields. The question that arose around the table was whether a player without any shield symbols could decide not to discard the joker, therefore be forced to discard three shield symbols and, without possessing any of those, effectively avoid any losses. Or, to put it differently: Is the first part (discarding a joker symbol) mandatory or could a player freely decide to rather discard three shields if he so desires? Even if he does not possess any?

2. A short question regarding the use of the One Ring: When using the "Belt"-card (I hope it is "Belt" in English, at least), the player in question can avoid to roll a die once. Does this also count for the ringbearer while he is using the ring to advance on the board or would the card prevent him from using the ring? Technically, it should work since he simply is allowed to avoid rolling the die while conducting the movement. However, it seems to be a bit counter-intuitive since it would be a guaranteed 4-space-movement. Is there any definitive ruling?

3. Somewhere in the rules there is a remark of "special shields" and at the end of every track there is a substantially enlarged shield symbol. What of it? Am I missing some rule or am I getting paranoid of missing a rule?

Thanks in advance everybody!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waldemar wrote:
1. There is an event that requires every player to discard one joker symbol, or be required to discard three shields. The question that arose around the table was whether a player without any shield symbols could decide not to discard the joker, therefore be forced to discard three shield symbols and, without possessing any of those, effectively avoid any losses. Or, to put it differently: Is the first part (discarding a joker symbol) mandatory or could a player freely decide to rather discard three shields if he so desires? Even if he does not possess any?

I believe you die if you are unable to discard something when required to. For instance, if you roll the die and must discard two card but have only 1.
So the answer to this is no. You may choose what to discard but you must choose and discard or else you are eliminated.

Quote:
2. A short question regarding the use of the One Ring: When using the "Belt"-card (I hope it is "Belt" in English, at least), the player in question can avoid to roll a die once. Does this also count for the ringbearer while he is using the ring to advance on the board or would the card prevent him from using the ring? Technically, it should work since he simply is allowed to avoid rolling the die while conducting the movement. However, it seems to be a bit counter-intuitive since it would be a guaranteed 4-space-movement. Is there any definitive ruling?

I'd say you are not allowed to use that card like that but am not sure. I think it might be covered on the FAQ available here on BGG.

Quote:
3. Somewhere in the rules there is a remark of "special shields" and at the end of every track there is a substantially enlarged shield symbol. What of it? Am I missing some rule or am I getting paranoid of missing a rule?

During set up you must separate 6 shields (2 of each value), shuffle them and set them aside face down. When you get to a space with an enlarged shield, you take a random one from this pile. This means you could get a shield of value 1, 2 or 3 the first time.

Quote:
Thanks in advance everybody!

Welcome. Have fun with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waldemar wrote:
1. Or, to put it differently: Is the first part (discarding a joker symbol) mandatory or could a player freely decide to rather discard three shields if he so desires? Even if he does not possess any?

If you can't pay a cost, you die. So in this case, you must pay one, or the other, or your hobbit is dead.

Quote:
2. Does this also count for the ringbearer while he is using the ring to advance on the board or would the card prevent him from using the ring? Is there any definitive ruling?

Yes, there is a definitive ruling (Chris Lawson's annotated rules), and you may not use Belt to effectively roll a blank/white die. Once you put on the Ring, you roll the die.

Quote:
3. What of it? Am I missing some rule or am I getting paranoid of missing a rule?

You are clearly paranoid.

The "special" shield (larger symbol) refers to drawing a shield from the set of 6 that you shuffled and set aside at the beginning of the game. The set consists of two 1s, 2s, and 3s. So this is essentially a random shot at a higher-value shield.

Good questions.

EDIT: Dammit, ninja'd! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With #1, IIRC, despite how it's worded, it really turns out to be "discard A or discard B, else you're eliminated" as opposed to be "discard A. If you can't, then discard B...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Er heisst
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your help! We actually missed the rule that a hobbit dies when he is unable to fulfill demands imposed by events. Makes the game even harder to beat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.