Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Left Hand Reviews w/ Clawlan!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I am finally applying for my Georgia Carry License. It's not a CCW because in the great state of GA, you can open carry as well. Just curious what other BGG'ers carry, what they carry, where they carry, how often, etc.

I am not sure what I will carry, but will likely make a new purchase for this purpose. I currently own a Walther P22 (good size but only .22), and a Beretta 92FS. I love the Beretta. Incredibly accurate, gorgeous looking, and super reliable (for consumer use, no comments from you soldiers with a sandy M9!), but pretty damn heavy and not exactly small.

I am in love with the FNH FiveSeveN, but again, not really a carry gun. My research has narrowed it down to the Kahr PM45, Glock 36, and Beretta PX4 Subcompact. Thoughts?

Poll
Do you have a Firearm Carry License?
Yes (private citizen)
Yes (military, police officer, etc)
No, but my state/country/province allows it
No, because it is prohibited
      62 answers
Poll created by clawlan

Poll
How often do you carry? (if a police officer, military, etc, this question refers to when you are off duty)
All day every day
When I remember
Rarely
      18 answers
Poll created by clawlan

Poll
For those that do carry, what type of handgun (most often)?
Full-size Semi-Auto
Compact Semi-Auto
Full-size Revolver
Compact Revolver
Derringer style
      13 answers
Poll created by clawlan

Poll
For those that carry, what calibur is your primary carry handgun?
.357 Magnum
.38 Special
.380 ACP or .380 Auto
.45 ACP or .45 Auto
9mm
.50 Action Express
.500 S&W
Other
      13 answers
Poll created by clawlan

Poll
Where on your body do you primary carry?
Hip
Under-arm
Small of back
Thigh
Ankle
The John McClane (duct-taped to back)
Other (please explain)
      14 answers
Poll created by clawlan

Poll
So, which firearm should I carry?
Walther P22 (already own)
Beretta 92FS (already own)
FNH FiveSeveN
Kahr PM45 (or PM9)
Glock 36
Beretta PX4SC
Other (please explain)
      8 answers
Poll created by clawlan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I carried an M9 in the Corps and bought the 92FS when I got out. If you are going to open carry, I'd say it is a good choice. I've use a SERPA leg rig, an old leather underarm, and the belt holster. I much prefer the belt holster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
I carried an M9 in the Corps and bought the 92FS when I got out. If you are going to open carry, I'd say it is a good choice. I've use a SERPA leg rig, an old leather underarm, and the belt holster. I much prefer the belt holster.

Thanks for the reply. Your belt holster, is it a universal leather, molded leather, or plastic/composite/other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.berettausa.com/products/pancake/tanga-leather-bel...

I seldom carry any more, so I am only wearing it to the range or some other short term place. Active Duty Police, Security, or Gun lover may have better advice if you plan on carrying all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

May I ask why you would like to carry a firearm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

Really not wanting to get into this debate, so I'll plead the 2nd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunny days and breezy nights with no work in sight.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew, there is a Gun Geek Guild. Check us out.

In answer to your poll questions, after almost 20 years of years of carrying a S&W Airweight 638, a Beretta Bobcat, Berreta Tomcat, Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum 2.5", Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Colt Mustang Plus II .380 and a Glock 26, I've settled on a S&W 649 It's a .357 Magnum 5 shot revolver, 2.25" barrel. It's all stainless steel. I carry daily but only where it's legal. My weight fluctuates a bit, so I have jeans in 3 different waist sizes 34,35 and 36. So depending on what's clean and whether I'm having a fat day or not, I carry in a DeSantis Sof-Tuck IWB holster or with a DeSantis Clip-grip. The Clip-Grip allows IWB carry by a flared portion that hooks over the top of the waist band of my jeans. I generally hook it over the leather label above the right hip pocket. It is perfectly comfortable and by the end of the day, the thickness of the gun is usually helping keep my pants up. So I keep it on at home.

In warm weather, when I'm just wearing a T-shirt, I might carry the Mustang in a pocket holster in the front or hip pocket. Because it's a single action semi-auto I won't carry it cocked and locked in any pocket even though I've carried it cocked over an empty chamber and deliberately and unsuccessfully tried to rub the safety off getting in and out of my car and other activities. In a OWB holster, cocked and locked is the way to go.

Let me say, I do not feel unsafe in my neighborhood at all. Last night I was meeting some friends for pizza and beer at a neighborhood saloon. Because I was gonna split a couple pitchers, I walked there and because it was a bar, I couldn't legally carry. So I left all the guns at home.

My plan for early next year is to replace the pinned front sight with an XS Big Dot. My house gun is Colt .45 Commander 1911 with CT laser grips. Once in awhile I'll carry it in a Yaqui belt slide holster if I know I won't be taking my jacket off. It's a delight to shoot. The Smith with .357 magnum rounds and the little Clip-Grip, not so much.

By June, I want to own a Beretta 92A1 to augment my Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm carbine. The magazines are interchangeable.

Because I'm usually the first one to arrive and the last one to leave the building, my boss encourages me to carry at work for a couple reasons as long as I'm discrete and do not alarm the rest of the staff.

I have the 649 with Clip-Grip tucked in the waist band of my jeans just above my wallet pocket as I type this. I am wearing a quilted vest to conceal what little would be visible anyway.

Guns in bold are pictured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not own a gun not because its not allowed (though it was the only poll answer i could give) but because even if I were allowed I have better things to spend my money on (I do own a N-Strike Maverick Rev-6 Blaster, but I got that for a fiver).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is different for US citizens, but the thought of people walking outside with a gun on their body, even well-meaning, upstanding citizens, sends shivers down my spine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the popular image, most Americans do not carry firearms and are probably just as uncomfortable as anyone in Europe about the notion of people just carrying a gun for the sake of carrying a gun. You don't often see people strolling around the streets with a gun on their hip. Most Americans will not experience a firearm discharged in an attempt to harm another human being (or anything else, for that matter) in their entire life.

There are parts of this country where it is perfectly reasonable to carry a ranch rifle in a vehicle or a pistol on your person to shoot snakes or wild dogs. It's a different world in rural Texas and Oklahoma.

Flyboy Connor wrote:
I know this is different for US citizens, but the thought of people walking outside with a gun on their body, even well-meaning, upstanding citizens, sends shivers down my spine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:
You probably have no reason to carry a gun, so don't.

I don't think the gun is the problom, its the ammo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Beretta PX4 9mm, but I don't have an open carry license, but I do have a concealed license. I'm not even sure Texas has an open carry permit?

I keep mine in a safe with a trigger lock at all times. I just have no reason to carry it around. I do use it when I go hiking or camping in remote areas, and I can get to it quickly if someone ever does try to invade the home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I have a Beretta PX4 9mm, but I don't have an open carry license, but I do have a concealed license. I'm not even sure Texas has an open carry permit?

I keep mine in a safe with a trigger lock at all times. I just have no reason to carry it around. I do use it when I go hiking or camping in remote areas, and I can get to it quickly if someone ever does try to invade the home.

If its concealed how does it act as a deterant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunny days and breezy nights with no work in sight.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
Despite the popular image, most Americans do not carry firearms and are probably just as uncomfortable as anyone in Europe about the notion of people just carrying a gun for the sake of carrying a gun. You don't often see people strolling around the streets with a gun on their hip. Most Americans will not experience a firearm discharged in an attempt to harm another human being (or anything else, for that matter) in their entire life.

There are parts of this country where it is perfectly reasonable to carry a ranch rifle in a vehicle or a pistol on your person to shoot snakes or wild dogs. It's a different world in rural Texas and Oklahoma.

Flyboy Connor wrote:

For instance, here is a typical example of "most" americans...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
slatersteven wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

It doesn't. People who carry concealed weapons do so for emergencies, I assume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Its not a deterrent, its a tool for use in a life threatening situation where violence is the only option. Any concealed carry course worth its salt will drill into its students that the gun never comes out unless you are going to pull the trigger. You do not threaten, you do not wave it about, etc, if you draw your concealed weapon it is to pull the trigger and end your attackers life, for no other reason should it ever be out, nor should anyone else know you have it.

Alot of people like to big time it and talk about how they have their concealed carry license, or even further warn the group of people theyre packing. These people are generally the 'look at me' types and enjoy the power trip they think it provides, the gun makes them feel big. Some of us simply carry and you'll never know they have it unless they have to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Concealed weapons deter because a hoodlum does not know who is legally armed and who is not. In areas where even owning a handgun or carrying a concealed weapon is illegal, the criminal predator can be assured that an overwhelming majority of his/her potential victims cannot protect themselves with equalizing lethal force.

Long term studies suggest that over time, in states that have enacted Shall Issue Carry Permit* laws the rate of violent drops because certain types of criminals do not want to risk a confrontation with a "victim" with a gun. Some evidence suggests that those who would steal switch to property crimes, car break ins and non-residential burglary, instead of risking an encounter with an armed citizen.

In a series of interviews with convicted criminals, the criminals rated such a confrontation as great of a deterrent as the potential punishment meted out by the court system. Thus, citizens who choose not to get a permit benefit from the uncertainty in the criminal mind.

Forty-nine states now have some form of legal concealed carry permission on the books. Some have strict criteria and some have none.

The FBI just announced that crime, including murder and rape, is down again this year. Also, the number of accidental deaths by firearms is down from last year. It appears that the proliferation of Concealed Carry permits and in many cases the required classes is reducing crime and educating people on safe handling. The murder rate in my city Louisville, dropped from 70, two years ago, to 51 this year.

*Even though it says Shall Issue, many states have different criteria. In my state, Kentucky, I had to take an 8 hour $85.00 class that covered gun laws, different types of handguns, gun safety, proper sight picture and grip, pass a marksmanship test, field strip and clean my weapon and pass a written test. Then pay another $60.00 for a state police background check and wait seven weeks for the permit to be issued. Felons, people with misdemeanor spousal abuse convictions, people who are so far behind on child support and other such things are disqualified from being issued a CCDW and in teh case of a felon, disqualified from even owning a gun. BTW, in KY, CCDW is Concealed Carry Deadly Weapon. Blackjacks, saps and throwing stars and some things I can't recall are also considered to be deadly weapons. Thus I could not have legally carried my leather handled and wrapped lead weight without a permit either.

I happen to like the idea that everyone here who has a CCDW permit has taken a gun safety class and a marksmanship test. But some experts say the permit costs and transportation issues prevent those who live in the poorest areas, those who are most likely to need to protect themselves, from being able to legally carry a firearm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heron Abroad
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

The function of guns in society as a deterrent appears to be more the cumulative effect of citizens carrying guns.
I think it's great that the NRA publishes news stories of ordinary citizens defending themselves with guns against crime, but what doesn't get published is the probably larger and undocumentable number of cases where no shooting happened at all, but the crime was prevented by the victim simply possessing and being willing to use his/her gun. I have to imagine that would-be criminals that this happens to would think twice before doing it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heron Abroad
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
Despite the popular image, most Americans do not carry firearms and are probably just as uncomfortable as anyone in Europe about the notion of people just carrying a gun for the sake of carrying a gun.

It is true that a great many Americans are just as uncomfortable as Europeans about gun ownership, but I also suspect that if all people who at this very moment are carrying concealed suddenly started carrying openly, many would be surprised at how many guns suddenly appeared around them.

We moved into a neighborhood where people are pretty friendly and open with each other, and it even surprised me how many people say they at least keep a gun in the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
BeatPosse wrote:

Flyboy Connor wrote:

For instance, here is a typical example of "most" americans...

A war service dodger you mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

It doesn't. People who carry concealed weapons do so for emergencies, I assume.

emergencies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Quote:

Concealed weapons deter because a hoodlum does not know who is legally armed and who is not. In areas where even owning a handgun or carrying a concealed weapon is illegal, the criminal predator can be assured that an overwhelming majority of his/her potential victims cannot protect themselves with equalizing lethal force.

Long term studies suggest that over time, in states that have enacted Shall Issue Carry Permit* laws the rate of violent drops because certain types of criminals do not want to risk a confrontation with a "victim" with a gun. Some evidence suggests that those who would steal switch to property crimes, car break ins and non-residential burglary, instead of risking an encounter with an armed citizen.

In a series of interviews with convicted criminals, the criminals rated such a confrontation as great of a deterrent as the potential punishment meted out by the court system. Thus, citizens who choose not to get a permit benefit from the uncertainty in the criminal mind.

Forty-nine states now have some form of legal concealed carry permission on the books. Some have strict criteria and some have none.

The FBI just announced that crime, including murder and rape, is down again this year. Also, the number of accidental deaths by firearms is down from last year. It appears that the proliferation of Concealed Carry permits and in many cases the required classes is reducing crime and educating people on safe handling. The murder rate in my city Louisville, dropped from 70, two years ago, to 51 this year.

*Even though it says Shall Issue, many states have different criteria. In my state, Kentucky, I had to take an 8 hour $85.00 class that covered gun laws, different types of handguns, gun safety, proper sight picture and grip, pass a marksmanship test, field strip and clean my weapon and pass a written test. Then pay another $60.00 for a state police background check and wait seven weeks for the permit to be issued. Felons, people with misdemeanor spousal abuse convictions, people who are so far behind on child support and other such things are disqualified from being issued a CCDW and in teh case of a felon, disqualified from even owning a gun. BTW, in KY, CCDW is Concealed Carry Deadly Weapon. Blackjacks, saps and throwing stars and some things I can't recall are also considered to be deadly weapons. Thus I could not have legally carried my leather handled and wrapped lead weight without a permit either.

I happen to like the idea that everyone here who has a CCDW permit has taken a gun safety class and a marksmanship test. But some experts say the permit costs and transportation issues prevent those who live in the poorest areas, those who are most likely to need to protect themselves, from being able to legally carry a firearm.

Louisevill, Kentucky?
Murder and Manslaughter 75, Violent Crime 4,501, Robbery 1,856, Forcible Rape 267 (2011)
Murder and Manslaughter 62, Violent Crime 3,769, Robbery 1,570, Forcible Rape 230 (2009), that looks like a rise to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my info from a local online news source a week before Christmas stating the city had logged its 51st homicide compared to 70 in 2009. Note my unofficial source was for homicides only and your unspecified source lumped homicides and manslaughter together. Regardless, I took the TV stations online article at face value and did not double check before posting. I also haven't double checked your numbers. In any case, it was sloppy on my part and I know better than that. Especially among this crowd. My apologizes.

Sometimes when I shoot from the hip, I shoot myself in the foot and put my foot in my mouth. (Do I get any GG for the ugly mental picture of the week?)

But if there was an increase in crime in Louisville, KY (I may start carrying two guns.), it's counter to the national trend.

Here is a link to the Official FBI website summarizing the year over year drop in crime across the board. You don't get more official than this.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-releases...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
I got my info from a local online news source a week before Christmas stating the city had logged its 51st homicide compared to 70 in 2009. Note my unofficial source was for homicides only and your unspecified source lumped homicides and manslaughter together. Regardless, I took the TV stations online article at face value and did not double check before posting. I also haven't double checked your numbers. In any case, it was sloppy on my part and I know better than that. Especially among this crowd. My apologizes.

Sometimes when I shoot from the hip, I shoot myself in the foot and put my foot in my mouth. (Do I get any GG for the ugly mental picture of the week?)

But if there was an increase in crime in Louisville, KY (I may start carrying two guns.), it's counter to the national trend.

Here is a link to the Official FBI website summarizing the year over year drop in crime across the board. You don't get more official than this.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/fbi-releases...

MY source was this http://www.cityrating.com/crime-statistics/kentucky/louisvil... I note that crime has fallen across the contry, not just in regions where thre is a right to carry concealed guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.