Popular Tags: [View All]
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game night tonight has dwindled to just two players, is this going to be worthwhile to play with just 2?

Thanks for any recommendations.

-
James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had about equal amounts of fun with 2, 3, and 4 players. Heck, now that I think about it, there's really nothing stopping it from being a solitaire game, shooting for a high score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Karvonen
Finland
Tampere
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I've enjoyed 4 player sessions of Kingdom Builder more than 2 player ones. It's not a bad way to spend half an hour or so with two, but with less crowded board it becomes more about exploring the different options and how they interact, and less about competing with the opponent.

So, I'd say that if Kingdom Builder is new to you, 2-player games will be more rewarding than if you are already very familiar with it. That, along with the available options and time would determine whether I'd choose it over some other 2-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darlok wrote:
Game night tonight has dwindled to just two players, is this going to be worthwhile to play with just 2?

Thanks for any recommendations.

-
James

Looking at your profile - if I were you, I'd play one quick game of Kingdom Builder, and then break out 1960.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally worth it IMO. As far as games that play 3+ players it scales very well for 2. To me the feel of the game is not that different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very quick game with two. So in many respects it is a slightly different game. It's much more about finding the best locations and managing your houses as opposed to a four player game where you're looking to maximize your house plays every turn.

I found that in a two player game there were times that I chose not to use the benefits of location tiles because of how quickly the game went without me being able to achieve my objectives for the game.

Both 2 and 4 player games are fun though...just different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjo Man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game scales very well with 2, 3, 4, or even 5 players. I was actually surprised by this. Some other abstractish games that I enjoy like Torres really doesn't scale well with 2, but Kingdom Builder is just as good.

The 2 player game feels a bit more like a race than with other players. There's plenty of space to do everything on the board, so you're really going to need to maximize every single turn in order to win. I think there's less room for error in the 2 player game, and I really like the way that feels. One of the great things about the 2 player game is you'll be done in 30 minutes, so it lends itself well to playing a best of 3 or 5 game match in which you change boards and kingdom builder cards.

I feel like the 3 or 4 player version represents a more strategic option. It plays slightly slower, and you're going to have to figure out how you want to proceed in light of the other 2 or 3 players.

5 players is intense. It's not official in the game that you get, but Donald X says there no reason not to, and you get a 5th set for 5 players in the Nomads expansion. Playing with 5 is very crowded, but still a blast. You really need to figure out where you can play in a 5 player game, and I think this is one of the best ways to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.