Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Cobalt
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I finally found a copy of this, having missed the opportunity to buy it back when it came out. I love it! My question is this: which expansions, including the promos and BGG mini expansion stuff available, are worth purchasing? I am aware what most add to the game, but was curious if experienced players could make some suggestions.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
White Moon + Guardhouse Mini-Expansion

I think these two add the most to the game. Though if you think you would enjoy head-to-head Ghost Stories, replace White Moon with Black Secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Cobalt
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And what about the promo cards? Any of these guys must haves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are just extra Wu Feng incarnations. It's a bit of added variety.

If you get White Moon + Guardhouse, I think it's more worthwhile to get Black Secret over spending decent amounts of money going after the promo Wu Feng incarnations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Cobalt
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm a sucker for promos, but, I apprec the heads up. Seems like there are quite a few out there, and yeah, they could easily constitute an entire expansion based on cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the answer is very simple: When you feel like that the game needs more stuff and options, buy White Moon since it's the only major expansions that doesn't chance basic formula. If you want semi-co-op, one against the others game, buy Black Secret.

I'm still fine with the basic game after 20 plays but I'm going to buy the expansions after I feel the basic game is out of juice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Cobalt
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is a stupid question, as I am very new user on here, but is there a way to get to the forums on which you have commented in a more direct way than searching for the game, finding the forum, then going into it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
78giraffes wrote:
This is a stupid question, as I am very new user on here, but is there a way to get to the forums on which you have commented in a more direct way than searching for the game, finding the forum, then going into it?

After you have typed your message, check the "Subscribe to this thread" box. This way you'll get a notification appearing as a red number in the upper left corner if somebody has send a message in the thread, press it and you'll get a link to the subscribed thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Cobalt
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gulp I apprec!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
78giraffes wrote:

Guardhouse and White Moon are the only essentials.
The promo guys are actually more april fool jokes (no really, they are). They don't add a lot to the game, and in some cases can actually make the game quite confusing.

Of the promo Characters, B-Rice Lee is the only one I like, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masa kari
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
78giraffes wrote:

Guardhouse and White Moon are the only essentials.
The promo guys are actually more april fool jokes (no really, they are). They don't add a lot to the game, and in some cases can actually make the game quite confusing.

Of the promo Characters, B-Rice Lee is the only one I like, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get him.

only Jean Claude van Rice is april fool joke. You will recognize it by the number of the ghost card. Chuck No-Rice, Steven Qi-Gal, B. Rice-Lee are numbered continously. The Village People Expansion is very interessting because of the Boots. The infernal Die is interessting, too. Read the desriptions and try to imagine the effects. Maybe build your own versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
Also if you can't find them, they offer all the promos for free to make yourself. I'm not a very good DIYer so I sought out the real ones. Took me a long time to get them all through trades and such.

They are found here. http://www.rprod.com/en/GS-RULES.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.