12 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Tactical, Divert All Power to Forward Phasers!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Gibbons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
After missing the rule that you may not ever leave one of the three ship types without engines, our group looked back through the game that we'd just played and decided that we would house rule as a variant in favour of allowing this tactic.

Our reasoning?

Well, besides the move being very thematically appropriate (how many times have we seen a Star Trek episode when Main Engineering have been asked to divert power from some ship component? Even notably on one occasion that I can think of, from life support!) it is costing the player an action to upgrade the ships so that they don't have engines, then on the following turn another upgrade action to put the engines back to move again. It therefore allows a temporary powerup at the cost of an action.

What do others think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
That's interesting.

My only complaint from that would be that you've created some extra overhead that you need to check blueprints every time someone does a move action. Other than that, it sounds like a neat idea. use 2 actions to try and improve combat odds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
Dream and Death wrote:
What do others think?

I'm often willing to try house rules, but would refuse to play with that one. It'd have a tremendously unbalancing effect on the game, and doesn't even have the benefit of trying to fix some perceived problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you need to check blueprints every time you move anyway, to see how far each ship type can move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
nom_ wrote:
Well, you need to check blueprints every time you move anyway, to see how far each ship type can move.

Oh... you make a good point there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
nom_ wrote:

If that ship moves more than one hex, that is.

I consider the idea potentially unbalancing. ShiPs can speed to the battle using their tachyon drive and then, for the cost of one action, drop the drive and install weapons. If the player was planning to upgrade one other part of the ship anyway, dropiping the drive in favor of a weapon is free, even.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
nom_ wrote:

I consider the idea potentially unbalancing. ShiPs can speed to the battle using their tachyon drive and then, for the cost of one action, drop the drive and install weapons. If the player was planning to upgrade one other part of the ship anyway, dropiping the drive in favor of a weapon is free, even.

Aside from the cost of the additional upgrade action...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Whymme wrote:
nom_ wrote:

Aside from the cost of the additional upgrade action...

Put the engines back in, you mean? That only counts if the ships are going to move again. Which they probably won't after reaching battle in the last round. But even earlier, you only have to put the engines back in again if you are planning to move (or to threaten with a move).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camelorn
Germany
Koblenz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dream and Death wrote:

Well, besides the move being very thematically appropriate (how many times have we seen a Star Trek episode when Main Engineering have been asked to divert power from some ship component? Even notably on one occasion that I can think of, from life support!) ...

As one turn in Eclipse represents approximately 100 years, removing and putting back in engines has nothing to do with temporarily redirecting power to your weapons. This redirection of power is far to tactical to be represented in a game the scale of Eclipse.

Beeing able to remove engines will strengthen defensive strategies and make attacks against turtled up players more difficult. This will probably have negative effect on the general flow and balance of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
Camelorn wrote:
Dream and Death wrote:

Well, besides the move being very thematically appropriate (how many times have we seen a Star Trek episode when Main Engineering have been asked to divert power from some ship component? Even notably on one occasion that I can think of, from life support!) ...

As one turn in Eclipse represents approximately 100 years, removing and putting back in engines has nothing to do with temporarily redirecting power to your weapons. This redirection of power is far to tactical to be represented in a game the scale of Eclipse.

Beeing able to remove engines will strengthen defensive strategies and make attacks against turtled up players more difficult. This will probably have negative effect on the general flow and balance of the game.

I totally agree.

It never ceases to amaze me how people tend to come up with the craziest "thematically appropriate" explanations whenever they've gotten into their heads that they want to abuse the rules somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Touko Tahkokallio
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Initially we actually playtested the game without the "ships must have a drive"-restriction. However, even though it was kind of fun to play that way at first, it become much less interesting after a while. As you can improve your ships quite a bit by replacing drives by other ship parts (especially so for your interceptors), it results a bit degenerate strategy where all players engaged in the fighting almost always try to drop out their drives before the combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gibbons
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
aautio wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how people tend to come up with the craziest "thematically appropriate" explanations whenever they've gotten into their heads that they want to abuse the rules somehow.

It also never ceases to amaze me how rude people can be on the internet. If you'd bothered to read my first post, you'd know that we weren't intent on abusing rules, but had simply missed the rule! Since it was our first play of Eclipse, it's not that surprising. Still, we enjoyed ourselves and I thought it was worth sharing for discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.