Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be a killer game on iPad, especially with decent AI. I would love to see if it can be done on iPhone as well. The Civ Rev iOS app runs great on iPhone, so I imagine it could be made to work despite WoTR's large map.

I don't see any news on the web or on this site about a planned iOS version, but I thought I'd just throw it out there in case it might be in the works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Conser
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got an iPad for Christmas and would love to see this as well. I know it is no easy feat bringing these things to the platform. I know for myself being able to play more in-depth board game experiences on the platform has got me very excited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if there are any plans, but I'd certainly buy it if there was an iPhone version and if it were iPad only I would be willing to weep and curse if that helps any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not heard of an iOS version, although that would be pretty good.
As far as I know the Java based system cannot be used on those devices, so it would have to be a completely new project like iOS.

I am unfamiliar with the games on iOS, do they normally do AI? I very much doubt that an AI system could be produced for the game in a decent time scale though, almost every card would need its own AI routine to work out if it should be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesJart wrote:
I have not heard of an iOS version, although that would be pretty good.
As far as I know the Java based system cannot be used on those devices, so it would have to be a completely new project like iOS.

I am unfamiliar with the games on iOS, do they normally do AI? I very much doubt that an AI system could be produced for the game in a decent time scale though, almost every card would need its own AI routine to work out if it should be used.

iOS does not support java, that's right.

I don't know how hard it would be to do the AI for WoTR, but plenty of other iOS board game conversions (Samurai, Neuroshima Hex, Catan, Carcasonne, etc.) have strong AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Conser
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly the right place for this but what is everyone's favorite board/card game on the Ios platform?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigris and Euphrates... but it's such a brain burner and I'm really not that skilled at it yet.

My favorite for just pick up & async play with friends is Carcassonne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride currently, because my wife will play it. I'd love to get Carcassonne but IMHO it's just priced way too high for what it is. I'd be willing to pay $10 for War of the Ring as a much bigger and meatier game, but not for Carc, even though I do enjoy it.

Other games I play a good bit are Elder Sign and Tichu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride Pocket may be $3, but it doesn't include async muliplayer, though I'm sure it will for an additional $3 down the line. That brings it to about the same price point as Carc.

Elder Sign is meh... but that's because the game in general is a themeless meh-fest, so at least the iOS version prevented me from buying the overpriced physical version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I picked up Ticket to Ride it was 99 cents, if the price has gone up since then I was unaware. Still even $6 is considerably less than $10, or rather I mean $13 which is the cost of Carcassonne with expansions. It seems to me that if you include the price of a hypothetical TTR expansion you should include the Carc ones as well. If Carc dropped to $6 I'd get a copy.

I don't question that Carc is very well done and has more features, just that $13 (and more in the future as additional expansions come out) seems too much for it. If they'd included the expansions as a free upgrade it would probably be worth it at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring? Surely you jest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V. Romero
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[/q]I don't know how hard it would be to do the AI for WoTR, but plenty of other iOS board game conversions (Samurai, Neuroshima Hex, Catan, Carcasonne, etc.) have strong AI.[/q]

Catan's AI is a little too strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V. Romero
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
When I picked up Ticket to Ride it was 99 cents, if the price has gone up since then I was unaware. Still even $6 is considerably less than $10, or rather I mean $13 which is the cost of Carcassonne with expansions. It seems to me that if you include the price of a hypothetical TTR expansion you should include the Carc ones as well. If Carc dropped to $6 I'd get a copy.

I don't question that Carc is very well done and has more features, just that $13 (and more in the future as additional expansions come out) seems too much for it. If they'd included the expansions as a free upgrade it would probably be worth it at some point.

I agree. While many may argue for Carcassonne, and I really like the board version of it, it's just priced way too much. I payed $5 for Catan, and I still feel guilty.
I bought Ticket to Ride iPhone when it was $1 as well, so I don't understand why Carcassonne can't have a decent sale. If it went down to $5 or less, I'd consider it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.