Subject: Military challenge and killing, Valar morghulis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matej Dolenc
Slovenia
Škofja Loka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, sorry for opening a new thread about rules, I know there a lot of them but I have to quickly ask, in case I forget the questions

In military challenge I find it quite hard to kill a character beacuse there are tons of card that help you save a character from being killed. And beacause the defending player chooses who to kill, this makes it even harder.

For example:
1. I lose a military challange, choose Ser Davos to kill but his response saves him. How's that?
2. I choose to kill Jon Snow, but I have Ghost in play, so I kneel him and save Jon from being killed.
3. I choose to kill Baratheon charcter that has Lightbringer, so I kneel lightbringer and save character.
4. Nymeria also saves a character from being killed, if you kneel her.

And there are a lot more strategies to save charcters, and these four that I mentioned were the ones in my first play with my brother. We had table full of characters. I had 10 charaters at once at a time!

Am I missing something maybe?

Secondly,
I played Valar morghulis which kills all characters in play. Can I save them with RESPONSES, like Ghost saves Jon, Ser Davos himself, Lightbringer saves any baratheon character. Or discard a duplicate to save a character.

Pleasae help BGGs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Robinson
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true there are many ways to save characters in aGoT, but there are many counters to these as well. (I assume you are playing with core so I'll use examples from it.) There is attachment removal (http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/GoTCards.html/_/danys-ha...), card blanking(http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/GoTCards.html/_/milk-of-...), and event control cards (http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/GoTCards.html/_/calm-ove...). In addition to that there are cards that will allow you to chose who to kill (http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/GoTCards.html/_/ice-core). It's all about having a balence of offensive and defensive cards in order not to get character bloat like you see in your first games. The first few times I played there were dozens of characters on the table, and that was really just because we weren't using our cards effectively.

To answer your second question: yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matej Dolenc
Slovenia
Škofja Loka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea that's true. I will see when I play more games.

But, for example if I play Ice and choose a character to kill, opponent can use ability to save a character (cuz there are a lot of such abilities).

Hope that everything changes over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ice only kills a participating character, if there are none declared by your opponent, Ice cannot be used without hitting one of your own.

To get past situations like this you want to stack kills, two claim military challenges, Valars, and the other cards mentioned above will knock people out. Also Wildfire Assault cannot be saved from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the same "character bloat" issue on both sides after playing only a couple 2p games. Even with the explanations above it seems that each core set deck only has 1 or 2 ways to kill a "very-hard-to-kill" character. What if I've already wasted that by the time say Lightbringer gets attached to Renly? Or what if what I need is at the bottom of my deck? I guess the answer to the first question is to save the key card until I absolutely need it, and more familiarity with my opponents deck would help with that. I'm sure the overall answer is just to keep playing :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just keep playing.

There is a difference between wanting to use a card and needing to use a card combination. If you can handle their other characters with regular mechanics and effects, save the combinations until a key character hits the board.

Of course killing is just one challenge, and ultimately the one with the least importance. Focusing on Intrigue or Power challenges when you cannot win through with a military challenge for effect will often make more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.