Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
So I tried to get back in to Magic with the Innistrad block. I loved the theme, and my plan was to only collect this block and play with it for a few years. Unfortunately (for my Magic playing but fortunately for my family) my wife and I had a baby a few months ago. Because of that, I'm not really able to play in regular Friday Night Magic like I had planned, nor am I able to buy a bunch of boosters or singles like I wanted to get some good decks. I did however buy a Duel Deck and actually got my wife to play with me quite a few times, and she seems to like the game.

That being said, I did buy an Innistrad Fat Pack and about a dozen boosters here and there over the past few months, so I have a small collection of over 350 Innistrad cards, including some decent rares and mythic rares.

My connundrum comes here: I have a decent foundation of cards from the Innistrad Block for casual play, but I currently will not be able to play in regular Friday Night Magic, nor do I have the time to build decks for the time being. Should I:

a) Sell/Trade my Innistrad collection now and stick to pre-constructed Duel Decks, or

b) Keep my Innistrad collection and simply buy a Fat Pack for the next two sets of the block to have a nice little Innistrad Collection to play with in the future?

I'm not necessarily a great deckbuilder nor a good tournament player. I was planning to do booster draft tournaments and then deckbuilding for home play (though I will mainly play with my wife who is not a Magic player nor into deckbuilding). I understand that many of your responses could be self-serving and I could post a card list of the rares and mythic rares when I get home from work. I know I have a Snapcaster Mage, which is pretty hot right now, but other than that I can't remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Innistrad Conundrum
This is the best time to sell Innistrad.

And it really does seem like you and your wife would better enjoy the duel decks currently and when you have more time, you could get back into the deckbuilding side of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the cards, keep them for later. How much are you really going to get for the cards you have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis Anderson wrote:
If you like the cards, keep them for later. How much are you really going to get for the cards you have?

Well considering SCM is worth $20-30 depending on where you look... and depending on what other mythics he has... it really it one of the best times to sell ISD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't let the hotness of your good cards die out. If you want their value, you have to do it now. Some cards will keep value, but most will fall out of the type 2, and when they do, their value hits about a $1, unless they are good for multiple types (1,extended,etc). Not many will keep value like they used to. By flooding the market with new cards, only the best of the best keep value, since a new card will replace the need for the old one...unless it is uber-rare like a black lotus, that is. You can make a Magic-cube with your existing collection, and you get the deck-building fun of the cards you already have. Look into the cube, it is a good idea for those not trying to stay in with the tournaments but enjoy drafting and have no more money to put into the game. Or trade them for my boardgames. My cube is needing some more cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrggg! You guys are like the little devil and angel on my shoulders pulling me both ways

quozl wrote:
This is the best time to sell Innistrad.

And it really does seem like you and your wife would better enjoy the duel decks currently and when you have more time, you could get back into the deckbuilding side of the game.

That was my first thought. I've probably spent $75 - $100 on Innistrad, which should be my limit (probably over my limit), so I don't plan to buy anything until Dark Ascension. If I wanted out, now's the time because any secondary market value will go down in about 5 months.

Curtis Anderson wrote:

But then again, am I going to get my $75 - $100 back? I'll only get anything for the rares and mythic rares, and then I'm left with a bunch of commons and uncommons. Sure, I could play with them, but it's more fun and builds the theme to have a few big-time cards in the game.

stagger lee wrote:
Well considering SCM is worth $20-30 depending on where you look... and depending on what other mythics he has... it really it one of the best times to sell ISD.

...But it IS the best time to sell.

ropearoni4 wrote:
You can make a Magic-cube with your existing collection, and you get the deck-building fun of the cards you already have. Look into the cube, it is a good idea for those not trying to stay in with the tournaments but enjoy drafting and have no more money to put into the game. Or trade them for my boardgames. My cube is needing some more cards

I am not familiar with the Cube. I will have to look this up. But then again, I may be better off supporting your cube in a trade for something my wife an I will play.

Condundrum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:
But then again, am I going to get my $75 - $100 back?

Bring it all in to your Magic store and find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Did I hear someone was dealing with a CONUNDRUM?!?!
Let's ask CONUNDRUM SPHINX!

What should he do, CONUNDRUM SPHINX?

CS:"Well, so what if you get $20 for snappy! The rest are practically giveaway fodder at best, you'll never see that $75-$100 ever! So keep the damn cards, and if it really makes you happy then sell the snappy to some fool, and use the $20 to buy more cards! You know you'll just end up buying more later anyway, so if you sell the C/U for peanuts now you'll just be mad when you don't have them later! MAGIC NEVER DIES!"

These are the words of CONUNDRUM SPHINX!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I am not familiar with the Cube. I will have to look this up. But then again, I may be better off supporting your cube in a trade for something my wife an I will play.

Condundrum.

The cube is a bunch of cards, placed in a box or something, and then you put it away and never touch it, and years later you pull them out and find they are worth zero.

Seriously, the cube is a bunch of cards, usually rares and good uncommon and staple commons, these are all placed into a box, and when you want to play, you take 15 random cards, (some do a complete format of 1 rare, 3 uncomon, 11 common), and then after each person has their "2 packs" you do a draft. You then make your deck using those cards you drafted, and have a tournament even if you wish w/o buying more cards. Add land and a limit of 40+ card deck. Voila! fun for zero cost!

Or you know you want the limited edition A few Acres of Snow - your wife loves Dominion, right? and she loves wargames, right? oops...no, this isn't a wargame at all, well, maybe it is, but not in the same sense...and well, it is limited edition with wooden pieces that are shaped like stuff...small stuff, but it is clearly a building if your eyes can see that well...I'm not helping my cause here. Well, it is limited edition...I think a number is on the back to prove it...184, there it is...along with Mr Wallace's signature...umm, Autograph, for that autographs of game designer book you walk around each day hoping to add another to.

Anyways, Good luck, Magic is a conundrum due to the aftermarket imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Quote:

Condundrum.

The cube is a bunch of cards, placed in a box or something, and then you put it away and never touch it, and years later you pull them out and find they are worth zero.

Seriously, the cube is a bunch of cards, usually rares and good uncommon and staple commons, these are all placed into a box, and when you want to play, you take 15 random cards, (some do a complete format of 1 rare, 3 uncomon, 11 common), and then after each person has their "2 packs" you do a draft. You then make your deck using those cards you drafted, and have a tournament even if you wish w/o buying more cards. Add land and a limit of 40+ card deck. Voila! fun for zero cost!

Or you know you want the limited edition A few Acres of Snow - your wife loves Dominion, right? and she loves wargames, right? oops...no, this isn't a wargame at all, well, maybe it is, but not in the same sense...and well, it is limited edition with wooden pieces that are shaped like stuff...small stuff, but it is clearly a building if your eyes can see that well...I'm not helping my cause here. Well, it is limited edition...I think a number is on the back to prove it...184, there it is...along with Mr Wallace's signature...umm, Autograph, for that autographs of game designer book you walk around each day hoping to add another to.

Anyways, Good luck, Magic is a conundrum due to the aftermarket imo.

Uh oh. You may have presented a new dilema if I'm reading this right.

a) Either build a Cube (which sounds like it's right up my ally the way you described it), or
b) Trade my Innistrad stuff for your Autographed copy of A Few Acres of Snow

Both options seem good, but one might require us to Geekmail later on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And of course, I just read 2 years of your comic strip because I read your profile, trying to see what games you had. Very funny stuff. Almost like watching friends-meets-seinfeld. Hmm pitch that idea to the execs at Hollywood, better than some of the sit-coms coming out right now, and both have been off the air for a while. About time to replace them. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:

a) Either build a Cube (which sounds like it's right up my ally the way you described it)

Definitely build a cube, they're the most fun way to play. I would recommend, though, that whenever you want the money you sell just your snappy, because he is probably the only card worth much (as the Conundrum Sphinx has mentioned).

The nice thing about Snapcaster (as opposed to most cards worth money) is that its value will probably only go up because it is seeing steady play in all formats (as opposed to just standard).

You can use whatever money you make to buy some more commons/uncommons to fill out your Innistrad cube. If you poke around these forums you'll find a lot of discussion about good drafting methods for two players that you can use with your cube. I enjoy cubes so much that I keep around a cube for each block that has come out in the past 5 years, as well as a custom cube (with cards from every set ever) and a core set cube for new players. I wrote an article here about the core set cube I made, if you're interested in seeing the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kratochwill
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
I need to change this now that it's not football season.
badge
Almond crusted halibut, lemon crown, thin sliced radishes, parsley
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't need the money, I'd lean towards keeping the cards and using them for play when you can. Do you have any friends that play Magic? How about a casual Magic night at your or a friends house every once in a while?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
And of course, I just read 2 years of your comic strip because I read your profile, trying to see what games you had. Very funny stuff. Almost like watching friends-meets-seinfeld. Hmm pitch that idea to the execs at Hollywood, better than some of the sit-coms coming out right now, and both have been off the air for a while. About time to replace them. cool

Thanks. That's the second kind word I've got about my comic recently even though I haven't updated in a while. Maybe I should start it back up in 2012.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
fuzzydice82 wrote:

a) Either build a Cube (which sounds like it's right up my ally the way you described it)

Definitely build a cube, they're the most fun way to play. I would recommend, though, that whenever you want the money you sell just your snappy, because he is probably the only card worth much (as the Conundrum Sphinx has mentioned).

The nice thing about Snapcaster (as opposed to most cards worth money) is that its value will probably only go up because it is seeing steady play in all formats (as opposed to just standard).

You can use whatever money you make to buy some more commons/uncommons to fill out your Innistrad cube. If you poke around these forums you'll find a lot of discussion about good drafting methods for two players that you can use with your cube. I enjoy cubes so much that I keep around a cube for each block that has come out in the past 5 years, as well as a custom cube (with cards from every set ever) and a core set cube for new players. I wrote an article here about the core set cube I made, if you're interested in seeing the list.

Thanks for the good advice. I have a few other rares and mythic rares (not the Plainswalkers) that might net a few bucks, but I don't remember which ones since I haven't been able to play with them.

I am leaning toward selling the Snapcaster Mage and using that toward my Dark Ascension Fat Pack for future Cube purposes.

spacechef wrote:
If you don't need the money, I'd lean towards keeping the cards and using them for play when you can. Do you have any friends that play Magic? How about a casual Magic night at your or a friends house every once in a while?

That's the other part of my problem. No one I know really plays Magic. That's why I wanted to get into a regular Friday Night Magic, but spending an entire Friday night at a gaming shop while I leave the baby at home with my wife is not an option. My wife will play with me as mentioned above, and I've played Duel of the Plainswalkers over PSN with my brother who lives in another town, but that's it.

I don't necessarily need the money right now. I suppose my crisis of conscience is coming from the fact that I'm the only one I know who really wants to play and get into the theme of Innistrad. I suppose the real question I'm asking is should I continue to fight my circmustances to play this game, or should I cut my losses now?

Decisions decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:
I suppose the real question I'm asking is should I continue to fight my circmustances to play this game, or should I cut my losses now?

Decisions decisions.

And that's a question that nobody can answer for you. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well with any game, it's only as good as the people you can play it with. I sold off a huge chunk of my BG collection last year because it was just sitting on the shelf looking awesome.

As for other money cards you can turn to trade/sell:

Liliana of the Viel - $25-30
Garruk Relentless - $18-25
Geist of St Traft - about $10-15
Olivia Voldaren - $8-12
Stormkirk Nobel, Mikeaus the Lunarch, Past in Flames, Bloodline Keeper, Army of the Damned, Skaab Ruinator, and any of the dual lands are all in the $3-5 range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
fuzzydice82 wrote:
I suppose the real question I'm asking is should I continue to fight my circmustances to play this game, or should I cut my losses now?

Decisions decisions.

And that's a question that nobody can answer for you. Good luck!

What! Make gaming and collecting decisions by myself? That's how I get into these inconsequential world-shaking dilemas in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Well with any game, it's only as good as the people you can play it with. I sold off a huge chunk of my BG collection last year because it was just sitting on the shelf looking awesome.

As for other money cards you can turn to trade/sell:

Liliana of the Viel - $25-30
Garruk Relentless - $18-25
Geist of St Traft - about $10-15
Olivia Voldaren - $8-12
Stormkirk Nobel, Mikeaus the Lunarch, Past in Flames, Bloodline Keeper, Army of the Damned, Skaab Ruinator, and any of the dual lands are all in the $3-5 range.

Well, when you break it out like that, knowing that I don't have those first four cards, and remembering that I do have maybe half of the other ones you priced, I'm looking at making maybe $40 if I gut my collection of all the rares and mythic rares. Then I'd be stuck with a box full of commons, uncommons, and lands. Not to mention the hassel of trying to sell singles. Right now I don't have the time build decks, where am I going to find the time to sort and post to eBay, then pack and ship?

Hanging on to what I've got for future Cube play is sounding better and better.

You guys on the Magic forum here are pretty awesome. Thanks for letting me sit on your couch and talk this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, really the BEST time to buy/trade/sell any set is when it first comes out. Everything is overinflated, and once the tournament scene finds its darlings, then things level up, and the top picks rise a bit. That being said though, you still have to be a pretty aggressive trader to "make your money" back from a box. It's almost always best to watch the spoilers and preorder what you KNOW you want. Then that $80-100 for the box you might have bought actually picks things that you know you'll like. The more you play, the more you tend to see "your style."

This being said though, ISD really has done a good job of having good rares that kept the value of a pack for a long while. There are still plenty of $2-3 rares like Mayor, Heartless Summoning, etc that will always be saught out by casual players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Thomason
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well to be honest my thoughts on what you should do live and die with your wife. How much does she really enjoy the game? Does she view it like one would Lost Cities? To where when you sit down to play it she assumes, believes, enjoys, etc. the same cards in her deck every time? If that's the case I say sell them all and buy dual decks, commander decks, planechase, etc. However, if she has any interest at all in deck building then I might have a solution for you based on what my friend and I do. Both of us do not have the time/money to take part in the constructed scene. Especially since FNM is nothing more than the pro tour scene minus the glamor (but that's a whole nother convo entirely.) Being that my friend and I still very much enjoy the game, we have created our or own format of types. What we do is when a new set comes out we buy a box and a fat pack. We then have a series of 2 player drafts of the cards contained. Keeping the cards that we drafted each time. Then once all the packs are drafted we build a deck out of those cards and have the prize be the remaining packs left over. Which happens since you use 6 packs each draft. Then once that takes place, all cards one recieved from drafting and the final are add to their person pool to pull from to create a EDH/Commander deck. The interesting thing about this is it becomes a living format. Always changing, always tweaking. Sometimes tearing completely apart and starting anew. Again all that is for loss if she wouldn't be into drafting or deck construction like you said in the OP. But might give her a chance before you sell everything off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Updike wrote:
Well to be honest my thoughts on what you should do live and die with your wife. How much does she really enjoy the game? Does she view it like one would Lost Cities? To where when you sit down to play it she assumes, believes, enjoys, etc. the same cards in her deck every time? If that's the case I say sell them all and buy dual decks, commander decks, planechase, etc. However, if she has any interest at all in deck building then I might have a solution for you based on what my friend and I do. Both of us do not have the time/money to take part in the constructed scene. Especially since FNM is nothing more than the pro tour scene minus the glamor (but that's a whole nother convo entirely.) Being that my friend and I still very much enjoy the game, we have created our or own format of types. What we do is when a new set comes out we buy a box and a fat pack. We then have a series of 2 player drafts of the cards contained. Keeping the cards that we drafted each time. Then once all the packs are drafted we build a deck out of those cards and have the prize be the remaining packs left over. Which happens since you use 6 packs each draft. Then once that takes place, all cards one recieved from drafting and the final are add to their person pool to pull from to create a EDH/Commander deck. The interesting thing about this is it becomes a living format. Always changing, always tweaking. Sometimes tearing completely apart and starting anew. Again all that is for loss if she wouldn't be into drafting or deck construction like you said in the OP. But might give her a chance before you sell everything off.

You raise the best and most direct point for me. I don't necessarily see my wife deckbuilding, but I see myself deckbuilding to get some themed decks that are hopefully balanced and fun to play against each other. She will play, and she seems to like the game in and of iteslf as we've played about half a dozen games with the Duel Deck. So there is hope yet.

I like your two-player draft strategy, but with us, I'm the catalyst for the game, and we would both own everything in the end.

That being said, I'm picturing some solid Saturday afternoons of me sorting through 1,000 cards to come up with four or five decks for us to rotate and play through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A great way to make a bunch of fun decks is called sealed. Just open 6 packs (or take a random six packs worth of cards from your collection) and build the best 40 card deck you can (adding basic lands of course).

If you build each deck from the same set, they will come out fairly balanced (though its always possible to get a nutty pool), and then you can play them against each other in various combinations. If your wife doesn't like deck building, you can just build all the decks this way yourself, and if she does she can join in the fun. Innistrad is probably the best set ever made for this particular format, so I'd encourage you to give it a try as a way to get some extra bang out of your packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
stagger lee wrote:
There are still plenty of $2-3 rares like Mayor, ...
I'm only a $3 rare?!
cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with those cards is that they're not great outside of Standard (you don't need them for Limited, after all). And to build Standard decks you will absolutely need more cards from M12 and Scars of Mirrodin block.

You should probably sell them.

Even if you want to construct casual decks, rares often work against that. The reason is that your rares may lend themselves to one good deck but not two. Or the presence of only a few good rares will cause games to be swingy: ie, the player who draws one of their 2 good rares wins.

Rares in your collection are at their best in constructed and constructed with only a few cards doesn't work that well.

I say sell the money rares and build casual decks based on commons and uncommons.

That said, the really valuable Innistrad rares are likely to hold a good amount of their value for another year and a half. You could still sell them well when the next block comes out, as they'll still be in Standard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.