Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Background

I've been following Eclipse for about a year now. Not to the point of reading all the rules before having the game, but still paying attention to the forums quite religiously. I was able to get a copy for my birthday and bring it to the table the other day for a test round. We played a half game and then water was spilled! Nooooooo....

The game is OK, so I managed to get it to the table again last night versus Forrest's brother. He's not an avid gamer but he always wins Wiz-War (hence the name) and was excited about Eclipse after our playtest. We were both playing Terrans as it would be our first full real game. I took Black and he took Green.

Turn 1

Green explores II and III and gets some mediocre planets.
Black explores I, II, II and only manages one usable planet.

Not really sure what happened to the turn 2 photo, but here is turns 2 and 3 in one summary

Turn 2/3

Green explores I, II and III and gets two usable planets and one tech hex, which he does not claim.
Black explores III, III, III and only manages one usable planet AGAIN, but this time there is a plan. With three tech hexes all granting additional resources from discoveries (abandoned during upkeep), six actions are taken this turn, allowing two orbitals to be built.

Turn 4

Green explores II gaining a nice planet. Also researched Adv. Economy.
Black explores I gaining another research planet and 3VP. Also combats ancients in II and wins.

Turn 5

Green explores I and I gaining four planets. Builds cruisers and defeats ancient cruiser in I.
Black explores II and yet another science planet. Builds a cruiser and another orbital.

Turn 6

Green builds starbases and cruisers. Advances two cruisers and interceptor to sector II connection.
Black explores II which connects to Green. Reveals two ancient cruisers. Advances two cruisers.

Battle Summary

A relatively short battle ensued. Black launched plasma missles in an amazing barrage inflicting 12 damage. But there was a slight miscalculation. Incoming fire ripped through the explosions taking out a Black cruiser ... a lone Green interceptor had survived! Black fled the scene, leaving the ancients to consume the interceptor and retain control of their territory.

Turn 7

Green explored II and II and defeated another ancient cruiser.
Black fortifies the front and builds another orbital.

Turn 8

Green fortifies the front and sends cruisers into the GCDS.
Black attacks the GCDS with Dreadnaughts.

Battle Summary

The turning point in the battle actually came moments before it even occurred. Green's face turned to horror as with a last action Black upgraded his dreadnaughts to have plasma missles and antimatter cannons. What had once looked like a fight slightly in Green's favor turned into a slaughterhouse. Black had hedged his bets on winning the GCDS and spent more than he could afford if he did not win. Green was completely out of influence with which to react.

Turn 9

Green moved to take a Black II system worth 6VP (3VP + Monolith).
Black notably researched monoliths and constructed two.

Battle Summary

Green sent two cruisers to take on a cruiser and two starbases. In what might have been the longest battle in galactic history, Green eliminated all the Black starbases while the cruiser escaped. However, Green was not able to route Black from the system.

This final battle COULD have resulted in a 12VP swing if 1.) Green had succeeded in removing the population and 2.) Green had an influence disc left.

Final score:

Black: 41 VP
Green: 33 VP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what this game should be about. Just enough conflict, plenty of building your empire and researching, and pouncing when your opponent is out of influence. Muah ha ha ha! Can't wait to play it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.