Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustavo Vazquez
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Never ever had any problem with that. surprise Strange that you got confused, I think everything is quite clear. They say "you play one card with a ship symbol on it", not "you play the ship card". Besides, on the "Card Symbols" (page 3) everything is extremely clear.

2) Yes, maybe it's expensive, but remember you can use it as 1 attack in coastal cities too. AND it allows you travel by sea - to settle a location and to start sieges. You have many uses for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Temple
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a poll and a bit of discussion about the $6 ship card here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7366032#7366032

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Zamora
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Merchant is one action. The card with goes with explanation dont have money.

If you play this card, you wont gain any money.

But if you play Norfolk, you gain 2 golds.

You have 2 actions, you can play only 2 cards with ships&gold in the parchment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so everyone's clear on this:

Normally, you can play any card with a Coin symbol on it as an action to collect that amount.

However, if you have a card with a Ship symbol on it (either an actual Ships card itself, or a location that provides a Ship symbol), you can play it as a Merchant action, which means you can then play up to two additional cards with a Coin symbol on it and collect their amounts.

1) This allows you to use only ONE action to cash in TWO cards' worth of coins, letting you do something else with your other action.

2) You do not get money for the card you played for its Ship symbol to initiate the Merchant action. In general, each card you play can only be used for one of its symbols/purposes at any given moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Vazquez
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:

2) You do not get money for the card you played for its Ship symbol to initiate the Merchant action. In general, each card you play can only be used for one of its symbols/purposes at any given moment.

Perfect. The merchant is a great action because it allows you to get rid of 3 cards at once. In A Few Acres this means A LOT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Overstreet
United States
Suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
Ok, that makes a lot of sense. I didn't understand the purpose really at first. Now that I have played the game I realize getting cards out of your hand can be tricky. Thanks for all the posts and the question OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I still am not sure I understand the the SHIPS CARD as it applies to MERCHANTS. If I decide to play the SHIPS CARD, in order to get to play TWO coin cards, do I discard the SHIPS CARD?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.