Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing RFTG for almost three years. I bought the base game and TGS together, and started playing with expansion after several (20, maybe 30) games. I bought RvI and tBoW right after their releleases, but I rarely have opportunity to play with players advanced enough to play with 3 expansions. So usually I play the base game only with TGS (or base alone when teaching new players).

I have 2 conflicting goals:
1. I want play with interesting and various cards, but Base + TGS is little to small and well known to me. I also hate to see 2 expansions sitting on the shelf with lots of good cards, but I don't want introduce takeovers and especially prestige to all players.
2. I don't like, when deck is too big ( for example base + TGS + RVI = 180 cards). It's very hard too find specific cards matching your strategy etc etc.
I suppose Alien Artifacts has ideal size for RFTG expansion, making deck size equal about 160 cards.

So I want propose experiment of making such expansion with first arc cards.
I assumed some ground rules.
1. I assume that half expansion should be playable with the base and TGS.
2. Cards should be shouls come from RvI and TBOW, but shouldn't be based on rules introduced in these expansion(takeovers and prestige). So cards spending or generating Prestige Points shouldn't be included. As in second expansion icon (near card cost) for Prestige point for plaing cards into tableau will be ignored. There are also wouldn't be enoungh cards to introduce takeover machanics so cards with it should be avoided. Gambling world in RvI version.
3. It wold be nice to have at least 5 blue/even and 5 red/odd starting worlds.
4. Card should be various and all card types and color should be represented. I think that proportions as on blank cards would be good start.
17 cards:
- production and windfall in 4 colors
- 2 gray worlds
- 3 6-cost developments
- 4 normal dvelopmnents (4 singles, 2 pairs or pair and 2 singles)
I know that percentage of alien worlds is lover than novelty worlds. Also most starting world are grey. So 2 blue and 2 gray worlds may be not enough. So probably expansion size will between 17 and 20.

I think there are 2 possible selection methods:
A. Select favoirite card(s) in each catogory:
- gray world (2-3 cards)
- blue windfall (1-2 cards)
- blue production (1-2 cards)
- brown windfall (1-2 cards)
- brown production (1-2 cards)
- green windfall
- green production
- yellow windfall
- yellow production
- 6-cost developmnet (3 cards)
- other developments (4 cards total)
and hope that selection gives balanced addition to game...

B. select set cards which looks as balanced as posible, trying to selcet interesting cards.

I'm intersted if anyone tried such experiment already.

I wonder if after editing cards.txt file in Keldon's RFTG AI neural network retraining for such expansion is possible and easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rafal100 wrote:
2. I don't like, when deck is too big ( for example base + TGS + RVI = 180 cards). It's very hard too find specific cards matching your strategy etc etc.

The designer is keenly aware of this issue and put in specific new card powers and balanced the whole deck based on the big-deck issue.

I would recommend simply introducing your friends to RvI with takeovers off and goals off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.