United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder why they only chose to track the master, the daleks, and the cybermen.

Also, no love for Benton?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
Great summary, thanks Amy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow I never realized there were that many seasons.

I remember seing a couple on PBS when I was a kid. The theme song creeped me out.

I have a question... Why did they start over at season 1 why not just continue the number of seasons?

Maybe I should try to watch a few episodes. Is it difficult to pick up? In other words, having never seen older series would I be lost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they started over from Season 1 so it would seem easier for new viewers to start watching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
Maybe I should try to watch a few episodes. Is it difficult to pick up? In other words, having never seen older series would I be lost?

Nope! Season 1 (Ninth Doctor) brings you up to speed quite well. Seasons 1 - 6 are pure wonderful gold. Watch the older stuff if you feel like it, it's kitchy fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:

Well, I watched the adventure that Douglas Adams wrote (The Pirate Planet, Fourth Doctor), and it just seemed to drag. It seems like it was extended to four episodes when three would do (or maybe even just two). Not that I wanted the story to end faster, but the plot wasn't advancing quickly enough for me.

So we started watching at the beginning of the new Season 1. I'm sure there are some references I'm not getting, but I've been able to keep up very well. We've now seen through the end of Season 3. Great stuff! I'm looking forward to trying some more of the older stuff again. I wish there were more two-parters in the newer seasons, but they do a good job of setting things up for the future, or at least, going back to retrieve threads that were seemingly dropped. Disclaimer: for whatever reason, we watched two or three episodes of Season 1, then put it down for awhile until a student of mine suggested we try to keep going with it. After a couple more episodes, we were hooked.

Oh, and since you didn't ask for it, I give you Doctorin' the Tardis, by The Timelords:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
I wonder why they only chose to track the master, the daleks, and the cybermen.

Also, no love for Benton?

Speaking of Benton, we are going to what we have named BentonCon around Easter in 2012. Woo Hoo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

Well, I watched the adventure that Douglas Adams wrote (The Pirate Planet, Fourth Doctor), and it just seemed to drag. It seems like it was extended to four episodes when three would do (or maybe even just two). Not that I wanted the story to end faster, but the plot wasn't advancing quickly enough for me.

The pace of the classic episodes is something that you either have to embrace or reject. I have a respect for the compact quality of the new series and an affection for the loping exploration of the old. Almost all of the stories could be cut back by the length of one or two episodes, but in context the audiences just weren't as savvy then.

Also, while I do like The Pirate Planet, I am a bit of an outlier. It is usually regarded as a middling serial. I would never recommend starting there with classic Who.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
Wow I never realized there were that many seasons.

I remember seing a couple on PBS when I was a kid. The theme song creeped me out.

I have a question... Why did they start over at season 1 why not just continue the number of seasons?

Start with the reboot and you will be in good hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, it also is too bad about the spoilers they threw in about some of the companions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting...

To this day, I am still floored when I mention Doctor Who and people say "What?"

I know that it was never a huge hit in North America, but it was something that was known to me (and most of my friends) when we were kids, even if we didn't watch it. I knew of it.

I watched a few episodes as a kid, but only a few, because frankly, it scared me. Lol. My brother watched the fourth Doctor, and I watched a couple episodes of his, and a couple episodes of the 5th, and I remember seeing a very early black and white episode with "Ant people" which were stage hands running around with ant shells on their back. I believe one even whacks into the camera because he can't see where he's walking.

The one "classic" who that I can remember is one where the doctor and his companions (I believe 4th, maybe 5th doctor) are on a planet with a civilization, at the end the civilzation is constructing this huge statue. They leave in the tardis, and appear in the future, statue is done, civilization is gone. Question is, where did they go? Cue "WAAAHHH WOOOOOOO" music.

Another that I remember was some people fighting the cybermen and eating "pills" instead of food. Only one scene I can really remember, not sure if the pills were actually food supplements, or if they were some sort of medicine, stereoids or something.

I also remember the 4th doctor battling the daleks and the guy that created them (half dalek, half.. ugly looking guy.)

I've tried to convince my wife, and another lady at work to try them out, and both flat out refuse. My co-worker said "you watch gilmore girls, and I'll watch Doctor who"

I replied by saying that I have seen several Gilmore girls (which was painful) because my wife enjoys it, and began to relate several characters and some story lines that I remembered. She sort of frowned, but has refused to watch Doctor Who.

lol.

The only thing that annoys me about Doctor Who, is that the English population must all have Alzheimers. Because they are routinely attacked by Daleks, Cybermen, or both, plus ufo's, and various aliens. But NO ONE ever remembers it happening. I believe in the new series this was brought up as a sort of joke when the Doctor asks someone if they remember the Dalek's invading last year, and they said that they didn't.

I mean, this stuff's been going on for 50 years, and people always seem surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
The theme song creeped me out.

You, sir, are my new mortal enemy. Don't worry, there are no responsibilities on your part other than to exist. Nor are there any real drawbacks to enmity with me...other than my stern look of disapproval. Imagine it now.

I love that song. I was a bit taken aback by the redo for the new series...but it's pretty good/faithful, so that's o.k. Moreso before they changed it (again) near the end of 10's reign.

Really, though, I love that song. So much so that I had this:

amwiles wrote:
Oh, and since you didn't ask for it, I give you Doctorin' the Tardis, by The Timelords

On CD. Was a single, and I'd leave it repeat for several hours at a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting patiently (read: not patient at all) for the 6th Season to be added to Netflix.

I saw/DVRed the 5th season shortly before we gave up on cable...in consequence of which I've been aware of the 6th season since it started airing, but haven't seen hide nor hair of it.

Shortly before it aired, Netflix added Season 5, so I thought to myself 'Oh, o.k., I'll just watch these from the beginning and by the time they're done they should be loading up the new ones.'

Wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeroZilla wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:

You, sir, are my new mortal enemy. Don't worry, there are no responsibilities on your part other than to exist. Nor are there any real drawbacks to enmity with me...other than my stern look of disapproval. Imagine it now.

I love that song. I was a bit taken aback by the redo for the new series...but it's pretty good/faithful, so that's o.k. Moreso before they changed it (again) near the end of 10's reign.

Really, though, I love that song. So much so that I had this:

amwiles wrote:
Oh, and since you didn't ask for it, I give you Doctorin' the Tardis, by The Timelords

On CD. Was a single, and I'd leave it repeat for several hours at a go.

In my own defense... I was like only around six years old at the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no Dr. Who expert, but I thought that a few of the very earliest episodes were lost forever. I'm surprised that the chart did not denote that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeroZilla wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:

Really, though, I love that song.

When I got my first PC in about '92 or so, I found a clip of the intro with the theme music. I'd leave it playing continuously when I was doing other things.

Around here Dr. Who was shown on Saturday nights on the local PBS affiliate, followed by Blake's Seven. This would be the mid 1980's, and would have featured the 4th and 5th Doctors. That theme music really set the mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
I'm no Dr. Who expert, but I thought that a few of the very earliest episodes were lost forever. I'm surprised that the chart did not denote that.

I believe the latest count is 106 episodes from 27 stories from the 1st and 2nd Doctors more can be seen here. Two episodes were found a couple of weeks ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

I believe the latest count is 106 episodes from 27 stories from the 1st and 2nd Doctors more can be seen here. Two episodes were found a couple of weeks ago.

Sounds about right to me. Just as a further note, all of the audio tracks still exist for All episodes. It's just the video that's missing. Some effort is being made to create animation for the missing episodes using the original audio tracks, but from what I hear, it's pretty poor animation.

It was quite amazing that 2 missing episodes were discovered since it's been several years since any missing episodes had been rediscovered. Still not much hope for finding any new ones though. The first 2 stories, however, are available (and I have them on DVD): An Unearthly Child and The Daleks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:

I remember seeing a very early black and white episode with "Ant people" which were stage hands running around with ant shells on their back. I believe one even whacks into the camera because he can't see where he's walking.

Web Planet - 1st Doctor with Ian, Barbara, and Vicki.
While I will say that it is visually daring, it soundly sits in my top twenty worst serials of the series.

Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
The one "classic" who that I can remember is one where the doctor and his companions (I believe 4th, maybe 5th doctor) are on a planet with a civilization, at the end the civilzation is constructing this huge statue. They leave in the tardis, and appear in the future, statue is done, civilization is gone. Question is, where did they go? Cue "WAAAHHH WOOOOOOO" music.

If I were to guess what this was I would say The Ark. 1st Doctor with Stephen and the dreaded Dodo. First 1/2 is the humans on a spaceship with aliens with Beatles haircuts, and ping pong balls in their mouth.
The humans have been wandering in space for generations and looking for a new home to colonize, they are building a statue that will take generations to make. Meanwhile the aliens are slaves. Dodo gives them a cold, and people die. Bad stuff happens, Stephen is blamed they go to the future after working it all out and suddenly there is a role reversal and the statue has a ping pong alien head.

The Ark is not good. But it does have one of the best lines in all of Doctor Who: Take them to the security kitchen!

Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
Another that I remember was some people fighting the cybermen and eating "pills" instead of food. Only one scene I can really remember, not sure if the pills were actually food supplements, or if they were some sort of medicine, stereoids or something.

The only thing I can think of is Moonbase (2nd Doctor with Jaimie, Polly, and Ben) where the food was infected.

Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
I also remember the 4th doctor battling the daleks and the guy that created them (half dalek, half.. ugly looking guy.)

Genesis of the Daleks - 4th Doctor with Sarah, and Harry

One of my favorites, but there are certainly dissenters.

Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
The only thing that annoys me about Doctor Who, is that the English population must all have Alzheimers. Because they are routinely attacked by Daleks, Cybermen, or both, plus ufo's, and various aliens. But NO ONE ever remembers it happening. I believe in the new series this was brought up as a sort of joke when the Doctor asks someone if they remember the Dalek's invading last year, and they said that they didn't.

I mean, this stuff's been going on for 50 years, and people always seem surprised.

Often it is in the future or on space ships or other planets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
mileser wrote:
Just as a further note, all of the audio tracks still exist for All episodes. It's just the video that's missing. Some effort is being made to create animation for the missing episodes using the original audio tracks, but from what I hear, it's pretty poor animation.

Animation was used for the missing episodes of the 8-part "The Invasion" (Doctor #2) and I thought it worked very well. I would watch an entire episode that was restored that way. In fact, I think I liked the animated bits better than the regular bits.

I believe they're doing animation for the missing part(s) of "Reign of Terror," too.

Good to hear someone believes they are good animation, different people have differing opinions. I haven't actually seen them, so I wouldn't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mileser wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
mileser wrote:
Just as a further note, all of the audio tracks still exist for All episodes. It's just the video that's missing. Some effort is being made to create animation for the missing episodes using the original audio tracks, but from what I hear, it's pretty poor animation.

Animation was used for the missing episodes of the 8-part "The Invasion" (Doctor #2) and I thought it worked very well. I would watch an entire episode that was restored that way. In fact, I think I liked the animated bits better than the regular bits.

I believe they're doing animation for the missing part(s) of "Reign of Terror," too.

Good to hear someone believes they are good animation, different people have differing opinions. I haven't actually seen them, so I wouldn't know.

The Invasion works great. The animation is a little wooden, but better than telesnaps. The one thing that disappointed me was that there was footage for some of the episodes that were animated and in order for them to keep everything consistent they animated the whole episode rather than intertwining the footage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mileser wrote:
Karlsen wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

Sounds about right to me. Just as a further note, all of the audio tracks still exist for All episodes. It's just the video that's missing. Some effort is being made to create animation for the missing episodes using the original audio tracks, but from what I hear, it's pretty poor animation.

It was quite amazing that 2 missing episodes were discovered since it's been several years since any missing episodes had been rediscovered. Still not much hope for finding any new ones though. The first 2 stories, however, are available (and I have them on DVD): An Unearthly Child and The Daleks.

Wasn't there a story awhile back that one of the Arabs could have all the early episodes because he was a huge fan when he was younger? I remember something about this. But he has refused to give them back to the BBC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
mileser wrote:
Karlsen wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

Wasn't there a story awhile back that one of the Arabs could have all the early episodes because he was a huge fan when he was younger? I remember something about this. But he has refused to give them back to the BBC.

I haven't heard that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+d10-1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.