Popular Tags: [View All]
Marquis DeSade
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow L5R players,

I'm a new L5R player, long time mtg, who's planning on playing a casual multiplayer spider deck, CE-EE editions. I've been following posts on the spider clan website, but the majority of the deck building and strategy discussions are focused on competative 1v1 builds, and the upcoming tournament environment.

I realize that, like plenty of other ccgs, many 1v1 decks can work perfectly well in a multiplayer environment, but I was curious what are the differences in deck building strategies between 1v1 and multiplayer.

Is it more important to have answers to different opposing win-cons (enlightenment, honor, military), rather than just an aggressive personal strategy?

Can you safely use more expensive personalities, equips, etc? Quality and/or quantity?

Dynasty and fate deck sizes?

Deck speeds?

Deck composition diversity?

Is there more wiggle room for hybrid strategies (both win-con, and/or Kensai vs Monks vs Shugenja etc)?

Any other noteworthy differences?

Thanks!

-Dolono

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny O'Donnell
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, if you're going to play L5R multiplayer, I highly recommend you do so with War of Honor. It makes multiplayer L5R a much more enjoyable experience than it otherwise is.

Without War of Honor, enlightenment and honor decks are much less viable than they are one-on-one. An honor or enlightenment deck that gets close to its win condition is going to have to deal with an alliance of the rest of the table coming after them, and it's hard to have the defensive strength to do that and still focus on your win condition.

Being casual and being multiplayer both allow slower decks to be more successful than they are in tournament style games. More expensive cards can be fine, as long as you don't overdo it and know when to chuck the dynasty cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Seconded.

L5R's multiplayer has bee broken for years, with lots of homebrew version to make it work. War of Honor makes it all work, while also slowing down some of the cheesier deck builds.

An added benefit is that cards from the current arc *and* previous arc are legal in War of Honor, so you don't have to archive all your Celestial cards once they are obsolete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.