Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stay home.

No really. Just stay home. Nothing good will ever come of this. Romantic dinner? No way in hell - we rent extra tables to cram into our already overcrowded store to fit in all the bodies. Standard industry practice. Getting your reservation on time? Nope - unless you are coming in the second we open the doors. Once folks sit down, they camp out and screw the books all up.

Going to a club? Enjoy your 20 minute wait for a cocktail (special new years eve upcharge on that!) after having paid extra to get in the door.

Had too much to drink? Well, you have better odds of flagging the Tardis down for a lift than a yellow cab. And if one does stop, get ready to fight off the 26 other folks all trying to get in.

Going out will only ensure that you will spend too much money on the opportunity to get into a fight with your spouse or significant other while surround by strangers that you cannot stand, leading to a dismal and disappointing evening.

Buy some booze. Break out a new game. Enjoy your night.

And no Chapel, I ain't got anymore damn breadsticks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Excuse me, I asked for unsweetened iced tea. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
Excuse me, I asked for unsweetened iced tea. Thank you.

Oh sorry.

Let me just shove my finger in that glass, should be plenty of bitter in it then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Ooooh, he's good! I just might leave a tip this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't gone out for New Years in over 30 years. See reasons why in OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Over the years we've done it all - Parties that we reserved in clubs we didn't know, the Legion, house parties at our own home (which included wine splashed on the walls, sticky floors the next day, burnt furniture!)
We've found that a meal out, maybe quick stops at some friends or close relatives, then home to hot chocolate (with a mix) and a movie or chit chat, etc. is the best. Try to stay awake for New Years celebrations on TV and bed. 100% good times.
My wife's birthday is the 31st so whatever she wants, that's what we do.
Nuff said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing everything within walking distance of my home. Jamming with musician friends 2 blocks from home then catching Louisville's most well known non-famous band at the neighborhood unofficial lesbian saloon one block BACK TOWARD my place. Total travel distance is 4 blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On The Wagon!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
On nights like this when the price of everything goes up, I simply counterbalance that with poor tipping. Your Welcome. Now hurry back with those drinks will ya ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
On nights like this when the price of everything goes up, I simply counterbalance that with poor tipping. Your Welcome. Now hurry back with those drinks will ya ?

I'm sorry, I'm not actually your waiter this evening. Let me see if I can't find someone to assist you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On The Wagon!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2112 wrote:
Mulligans wrote:

I'm sorry, I'm not actually your waiter this evening. Let me see if I can't find someone to assist you.

That was a half hour ago ! jeesh...cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already happily stay at home. I don't drink and have zero interest in New Year's Eve as a holiday - in fact I've not celebrated it in at least 10 years or so, now.

It's just a boring dead holiday for me, always has been.

::: shrug :::

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it looks like I know where I'm going to get my drunk on this new years. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Well it looks like I know where I'm going to get my drunk on this new years. devil

Oh, so sorry. No more reservations - maybe next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2112 wrote:

Garcon! Drinks! Chop Chop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Echo2112 wrote:

That will be $428.92. Service is extra. Good service is double.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
We won't be going out to eat, but we will be out. The missus and I (along with some friends) are doing a lego show in Kalamazoo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2112 wrote:
Stay home.

No really. Just stay home. Nothing good will ever come of this. Romantic dinner? No way in hell - we rent extra tables to cram into our already overcrowded store to fit in all the bodies. Standard industry practice. Getting your reservation on time? Nope - unless you are coming in the second we open the doors. Once folks sit down, they camp out and screw the books all up.

Going to a club? Enjoy your 20 minute wait for a cocktail (special new years eve upcharge on that!) after having paid extra to get in the door.

Had too much to drink? Well, you have better odds of flagging the Tardis down for a lift than a yellow cab. And if one does stop, get ready to fight off the 26 other folks all trying to get in.

Going out will only ensure that you will spend too much money on the opportunity to get into a fight with your spouse or significant other while surround by strangers that you cannot stand, leading to a dismal and disappointing evening.

And no Chapel, I ain't got anymore damn breadsticks.!

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
tscook wrote:
People actually go to restaurants for NYE? They don't have friends?

The Scots do it best. Spend Hogmanay with your family etc, then after the Bells at midnight, you go meet up with friends for a house party until the wee small hours. Waaaay better than attempting to go out to a club or pub (I've done it here, I've done it there - no thanks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
Echo2112 wrote:
Stay home.

Best damn advice I've heard all year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always stay home on New Years.

I was kinda' thinking me and my honey would do something more interesting this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2112 wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Echo2112 wrote:

That will be $428.92. Service is extra. Good service is double.
Just put it on my "Tab"... The owner of this joint is my Brother-in-law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Waiter, my friend here seems to have puked. Could you get someone to clean this up Oh, and call a cab to take him home?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Waiter, my friend here seems to have puked. Could you get someone to clean this up Oh, and call a cab to take him home?

Sorry, my "I care" cup has just gone empty. And no. Anything else this evening sir?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our family is spending the night with friends for NYE. After all our little ones fall asleep, us parents will stay up and play games for the remainder of the evening. Now that's how you ring in the new year with kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendy Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game night at our house. Get on over here! Santa even brought us some new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.