Subject: Just shoot me now... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So one of the few weaknesses of this game... no matter how well you play, how perfectly, you can still end up on the losing team.

The players were:

Apollo
President Baltar
Admiral Helo
Starbuck
Chief Tyrol (me)

and we played Pegasus with the Kobol objective (no New Caprica) so we were looking for 8 distance and a jump.

Throughout the first half of the game, everyone seemed to be human. I had little to suspect, though the first jump only took us 1 distance. The second jump brought us to three, and the Admiral seemed to be pretty reasonable... and then we had a skill check in which only Apollo and the President threw in.

A yellow/green/purple skill check, and we lost the check... thanks to 2 blue and a red card in the check. And only Apollo and Baltar played into the check.

So, one of 3 possibilities was in effect.

Apollo was a Cylon.
President Baltar was a Cylon.
Everyone was human, and someone threw the wrong card in by accident. (With a group of younger players, this kind of thing happens now and then.)

Apollo was adamant that President Baltar was a Cylon. So adamant, that on her next turn, (the player was female, not Lee Adama, of course) she moved to Administration and called for a new election.

Being shortly before the sleeper phase, I pointed out that no one would vote for her since she's the alternative possible Cylon. So since our pilots (Admiral Helo and Starbuck) want to be out in space and available, and you don't want the Admiral to be President in any case, she selected me, Chief Tyrol, to run for President.

I was elected. Baltar surrendered the presidency. Starbuck insisted that Apollo was wasting skill cards and actions and was likely a cylon. Nothing was resolved, but no one trusted anyone anymore.

Then we hit sleeper phase.

Still human. But we weren't ALL still human, that was for sure.

A couple more checks pass by, and with a new Destiny deck, we fail a check with 2 blue cards counting against us. Then a few checks later, no one throws in on a check that flips over just destiny and reveals... a blue card. Destiny didn't have 3 blues, so now it looks like me, Baltar, or Starbuck are a traitor, because the other two don't draw blue.

But Starbuck's been playing very well, and I've been doing my best as well. It's gotta be Baltar, right?

We're now at 8 distance, haven't started the jump cycle yet, and everything but morale is still well in the blue zone. Morale is down to 2, and every time President Tyrol tries to boost morale with an inspirational speech, despite strategic planning, I blow the roll. Maybe Helo should have been President after all.

We're so close to winning. I can throw Baltar in the brig. But what if he's human and it's Helo and Apollo are the Cylons? Helo could have thrown that blue card, and Apollo could have thrown the red earlier... everyone's been playing pretty well....

So I wait.

I make Starbuck my Vice President, getting a couple cards and ensuring I hang on to the Presidency or that it passes to the only one I truly trust right now. Apollo wants me to throw Baltar in the brig, but the other two suggest that's a waste of time...

Oops.

Baltar reveals on his turn. He throws ME in the brig, the only one who I can't pardon. Then we explain to the somewhat new player that he gives his remaining cards to another player.

"Can I reveal twice? " he asks.

Guess that answers the question of where the other Cylon card was.

He then gives me the 2 remaining loyalty cards.

"But I'm in the brig!" I protest.

My former compatriots laugh as they realize that with careful use of the FTL and the Engine Room, they can jump (population's at 11 still, so no real threat there) before my turn.

That's right.

I played the entire game as a human, only to be turned into a cylon (in the brig) at the last possible moment, and didn't even have an opportunity to take a single action or play to help the cylons. Even the crisis card that ended Helo's turn was a "Current Player Chooses" card so there wasn't even a skill check for me to spike. Then Starbuck went to FTL and won the game.

I'm still not sure whether I should be celebrating the win or mourning the loss....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I say you can consider it a win, but I don't know if it's really worth celebrating, since it was a win against an inexperienced double-Cylon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Er... rules say that revealed cylons only transfer loyalty cards if the distance is 6 or less. I'm sure that was put there precisely to avoid the scenario you just described.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:
Er... rules say that revealed cylons only transfer loyalty cards if the distance is 6 or less. I'm sure that was put there precisely to avoid the scenario you just described.

I was pretty sure those were the rules, but I checked the PDF online and couldn't find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that maybe Exodus? Didn't find it in the Pegasus or basic rules which I read through at the time. I seem to remember something about that now that you say it, but I didn't come across it in the rules for either BSG or Pegasus when I read through them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game Resurrection Ship's text mentions that you can only hand off Loyalty when at 7 Distance or less, but the Pegasus Cylon overlay takes that out, and it's not in the Pegasus rule book, or at least not where it should be. Perhaps in the errata somewhere...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resurrection Ship location in the base game allows you to pass an unrevealed Loyalty Card if the jump distance is 7 or less. It's printed on the board. Exodus uses the same board, so it applies to Exodus.

However, the Pegasus overlay does not allow you to pass a Loyalty Card via the Resurrection Ship location. Instead, the rules say when you reveal, you pass all your unrevealed Loyalty Cards to one player (see page 7).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Because Ameritrash drips with theme...
badge
Yep, that's my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
The base game Resurrection Ship's text mentions that you can only hand off Loyalty when at 7 Distance or less, but the Pegasus Cylon overlay takes that out, and it's not in the Pegasus rule book, or at least not where it should be. Perhaps in the errata somewhere...

Exactly, it's in the Errata for Pegasus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
BSG official FAQ version 1.1.3 (page 3, specifically concerning Pegasus):

Handing Off Excess Loyalty Cards
Cylons may only hand off excess loyalty cards if Galactica has traveled six or less distance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know. It hadn't occurred to me to look under the board overlay. Problematic though...

We jumped from 3 to 6 to hit sleeper phase at the end of the Cylon's turn, then jumped again to 8 just before his next turn.

Aside from his general weakness in grasping that side of the game (he's 16 and less of a gamer mentality than the rest of the group, though he's getting better the more he plays) even if he'd been playing more optimally, he kind of got screwed by the timing of things.

If you can't be at greater than 6 distance to hand off loyalty cards, he never had an opportunity to even take an action (other than spiking checks) from the time he received the second card until the time he jumped, so he was doomed to have no team-mate.

So either way, one of us gets nerfed by the circumstances & the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackfaer wrote:
If you can't be at greater than 6 distance to hand off loyalty cards, he never had an opportunity to even take an action (other than spiking checks) from the time he received the second card until the time he jumped, so he was doomed to have no team-mate.

I disagree that he was doomed. Perhaps in a bind (and a very unlikely one at that), but the thing to do in the unlikely scenario that you are a double unrevealed cylon facing the prospect of not being able to get a turn in before a jump to distance 7+, is to convince somebody to executive order you. Furthermore, if you are a cylon at distance 3 and suspect that nobody else is a cylon yet, revealing pre-emptively is a fairly good move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A pre-emptive move might have been reasonable, but there was no way he was going to convince anyone to XO him at that point. There was no advantage for him to be XO'd as there was no threat on the board and nothing he could do as effectively or more effectively than anyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yup. Random chance is a pain like that. I actually had a game a couple months ago where one of our strategies was to jump ASAP so double-cylon Starbuck would not be able to pass of her loyalty card. Turns out her extra card was a PG and the last loyalty card was the other cylon card. We don't talk about that game much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.