Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Pape
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ran into a situation where I was downgrading a Rohan elite unit as my first casualty of the game. It appeared according to the rules that replacement counters have a non-zero effect on the game. In this case, if I had used replacement counters for a group of Rohan regular units earlier in the game, I would have had a unit in the casualties to downgrade to. Instead I had to downgrade from the reinforcements. So are replacement counters purely placeholders for convenience with no effect on the game, or do they effect the game slightly in this special case? We decided on the former for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
purely placeholders for convenience with no effect on the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps we should add for clarity to any newcomers that replacement counters were a part of the First Edition War of the Ring and has been replaced by the three Army Boxes on the gameboard in the Second Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The units that are replaced with counters should be put in a separate pile, not with the casualties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
magic gecko
Australia
Melbin Oz
flag msg tools
Replacement counters are just a bad idea.

Delete them from your box, as was done in the online game, and in the second edition, and collectors edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Pape
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers. I'm surprised replacement counters are so maligned. I find them really useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
bartolbe wrote:
Thanks for the answers. I'm surprised replacement counters are so maligned. I find them really useful.

They are useful but, as you realized, they add the risk of playing FP casualties wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rose
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bartolbe wrote:

I wouldn't so much as to say maligned. However, in the 100+ games I've played, they were only ever used in my first game. After that, we simply decided that whatever region the majority of any given army blob covered was in fact the region they were supposed to be in.

Also, before the CE and 2nd edition maps were released, we sort of utilized our own "army box" solution. A single unit was left in the region and the rest of the army was moved off to the side. This was done in occasions when two large armies were in adjacent regions and there was risk of spill over from one to the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.