Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claude Goeminne
South Africa
Polokwane
Limpopo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogs of War is a fairly light tactical wargame of tile placement and area control.

It has gone through some playtesting but I am trying to nail down the wording for some of the abilities of the units/tokens that are placed on the board.

I need to effectively express the following idea for an ability called Hostile Hands:

When a token with this ability is played, it can displace a token to the left or right(player's choice) of it one square further away in the same row.

ie Before

Play token devil at second square

After

devil
.X.A..

This is supposed to have a ripple effect and move all the tokens in the row as well.

ie Before

cool

..ABC.

After
devilcool
.X.ABC

If there is a space in the row it is 'filled up' but tokens on the other side of the space are not affected

Before
cool

..AB.C
After
devil cool
.X.ABC

If all the squares of the row are occupied then the last token is removed from the board [and placed in the meadow]

Before

coolkiss
..ABCD
After
devilcool
.X.ABC

My very clumsy phrasing of this is as follows:

Abilities:
Hostile Hands:
A token directly to the left or right of the placed token is moved one space further away from the token in the same row. If that space is occupied then the second token is displaced in the same way which can in turn displace further token(s). If a token is displaced from the edge of the board it is placed in the meadow.

Is there a more elegant way of expressing this that does not need all the examples?

There are other abilities that do a similar displacement vertically and diagonally.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah I'm trying.. I know there's some kind of example of something very similar in the Flashpoint Fire Rescue rulebook. I'll check it out tomorrow morning (the rulebook is not currently on bgg). But the best way will probably be to spell it out (a wee bit shorter, using common words like adjacent) in the rulebook, have an even shorter version of it on a card/player aid using iconography.

I'll try to re-word it tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's going to be called Hostile Hands, it should use that metaphor in explaining its powers. It seems to work more as an Invisible Shield, pushing any adjacent tokens (and tokens adjacent to it) one space further away.

unless those hostile hands are pushing/punching/?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Goeminne
South Africa
Polokwane
Limpopo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hostile Hands works better as a metaphor for the sense of movement - the vertical version is Fists of Fury and the diagonal one is Berzerker Boots - all three are supposed to suggest a fighter/warrior whose introduction to the battlefield is such that he clears an area around him because of his ferocity.

Perhaps a little bit of background may help:

The basic game is played on a six by six board representing a castle. There are nine areas in the castle with different point values depending on their size and thematic importance - the winner is the player with the most points once all the tokens have been played. Each player has 18 tokens to place - 10 of which have additional abilities though only five can be used. I want to be able to give a player a single sheet (at most) explaining the abilities of his/her forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If it's going to be called Hostile Hands, it should use that metaphor in explaining its powers.

Hostile Hands punch any adjacent tokens (and tokens adjacent to it) one space to the right or left.

Simple enuf? Too simple? I assume in directions you'll show examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Goeminne
South Africa
Polokwane
Limpopo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has a certain simple attraction, I must admit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hedberg
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Intimidate/Noxious Stench/Frightening Appearance
Action
Place a token. Choose another token exactly one space away from the placed token on its left or right. The chosen token moves one space away from the placed token horizontally, pushing any tokens in the way one space. If a token leaves the board this way, put it in the meadow.

There are a lot of details in this effect, such as having to be exactly one space away, horizontally, requires a token placement, etc. If I were you I'd try to simplify the effect like so:

Intimidate/Noxious Stench/Frightening Appearance
Action
Choose a token in the same row as one of your tokens. The chosen token moves one space away from that token, pushing any tokens in its way one space. If a token leaves the board this way, put it in the meadow.

EDIT: Original wording was a slightly different effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude Goeminne
South Africa
Polokwane
Limpopo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I see how that simplifies things but it has an untested impact on the game and also partially mimics a different ability for a different race in another army.

Part of the tactical considerations I want a player to be considering is balancing the early play of this piece which will allow it to be played in many areas of the board with relatively little impact or a later play of the piece with fewer areas to play it into but with a larger impact on the board.

If this piece can affect any piece in the row that it is played in, i think it loses this balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.