Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pavils Jurjans
Latvia
Riga
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Players A, B, C are playing the game. It's A's turn. He decides to start a hike. B joins him, C stays at home.

A draws a card, both A and B comply (or can appropriately discard), both continue.
A draws another card, again both hikers can comply and decide to carry on.
A draws another card, discards appropriately, but decides to drop out. He takes the heaviest of the three cards, drawn during this hike.

Now, the question: is the player B at this moment "the last player to drop out", and can collect both of the remaining cards? Or, he now has a choice: to drop out and collect only one card, or draw another hiking card, comply/discard, and decide then whether to take all (now three) cards, or carry on with the hike.

To me, it kind of feels that B doesn't deserve taking both of the cards just because he happens to be the last to declare whether he stays or drops out. However, that could be considered kind of compensation for being the one who risked to join the hike even though last in line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If A doesn't want B to get all the rest, they shouldn't drop out. This is like diamant.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavils Jurjans
Latvia
Riga
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but from my example you see that it's not that simple — B did not walk longer hike than A. I'd assume that the rules (that the last hiker to drop out gets all the drawn hiking cards) seek to gratify for the longer hike (because of good preparation and risk taking).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Michael
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for playing Let's Take a Hike and for your thoughtful questions.

It actually really is that simple.

Now, the question: is the player B at this moment "the last player to drop out", and can collect both of the remaining cards?

Yes.
Player B has the choice to collect both cards or to continue to hike and turn over the next card hoping to collect three cards and so on.

I understand your logic that B has not gone further than A.
However B should not be forced to continue to hike just because A dropped out.

A is rewarded for leading the hike with the possibility of collecting a high point card by dropping out first and choosing a card first.

B is rewarded with knowing what player A has decided and the possibility of collecting more cards and possibly more points

When to lead a hike, when to hike with just a few items in your pack, and where you will be in the turn order of a hike all matter and need to be figured into the strategies players use.

I hope you enjoy Let's Take a Hike.

Max Michael
StrataMax Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.