Fred Cromer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
devil

Enough is enough. FFG has become a disappointment. As much as I want to throw my money away to FFG, I can not in good faith do it anymore. The mistakes have become bigger and bigger. The lack of playtesting has reached an all time high. I bought Arkham Horror and loved it. I wanted to buy MOM, but the mistakes have killed this game for me. So, with that said, I`m looking for a new gaming company. Any ideas ? I did buy A Touch of Evil from FFP. Good game. Is there any other gaming company that someone would highly recommend? Thats my rant.

Freebird out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
*golf clap*
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you don't like a game a company has put out and you can no longer like any games from that company? Is this your point? It seems a bit arbitrary and unnecessarily all-or-nothing to me.

So now you are looking for a new company to devote yourself too. This too seems entirely unnecessary.

Game companies are not religions. You aren't forced to choose just one. It's entirely possible (and probable) that you won't like every single game a company makes. I am not a big fan of Steve Jackson Games, for instance. But it doesn't mean that I must automatically dislike every game they make. I have bought some SJG games and enjoyed them. And I've played others I can tolerate.

I like FFG a lot, for example. But I don't like every single game they make. I have always hated Cosmic Encounter. I hated it, regardless of who manufactures it. FFG now makes it. I don't hate it any less. Richard Garfield (a designer I generally like) created it and I still finding myself despising it.

I can certainly understand frustration at the screw up that was Forbidden Alchemy. I can certainly see not being enamored of FFG. But I just don't understand the notion that one must have a zealot like devotion / hatred to a specific company. It makes little sense.

Is there such a thing as Cult of Personality for companies? If so, I wonder what it's called.

Cult of Brand Name?
48 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Alex, I don't see what's so unusual about this; this is simply traditional marriage between an ambiguously-gendered person on the internet and a board game company. To avoid infidelity, the person should avoid buying from game companies other than his or her spouse, and to make the marriage more than a hollow lie, the person must be absolutely devoted to the game company to whom that person is married. This seems quite reasonable to me.

However, to preserve the sanctity of person-company marriage, I also don't believe in divorce, so as far as I'm concerned you're stuck with FFG for life.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Cromer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
devil

My point is simple. Playtest your games. Take the time to really check it out. The errors made in this game started from day one. As I said before, I loved Arkham horror. It was not perfect, but it was a great game never the less. As far as switching to another gaming company, thats my chose. I have decided to buy more from FFP. They seem to playtest their games and actually play them. I wanted MOM to be a great game and maybe it will be in the future. At this point, way too many errors for my taste. Again, thats my opinion. Good gaming to all.

Also, checkout Simon Cogan`s Doctor Who game. Again, another game designer who actually plays his own game. The game just keeps getting better and better.

What do I know. right. I just play the games.

Freebird out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of buying games based on who made them, why don't you try buying them based on their individual qualities?
25 
 Thumb up
0.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen McTeague
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Alex, I don't see what's so unusual about this; this is simply traditional marriage between an ambiguously-gendered person on the internet and a board game company. To avoid infidelity, the person should avoid buying from game companies other than his or her spouse, and to make the marriage more than a hollow lie, the person must be absolutely devoted to the game company to whom that person is married. This seems quite reasonable to me.

However, to preserve the sanctity of person-company marriage, I also don't believe in divorce, so as far as I'm concerned you're stuck with FFG for life.


Is FFG a corporation? Then they are a person and in fact can get married with people.

But all kidding aside, to be fair, I've been disappointed with Mansions of Madness too, but that's not going to stop me from doing the same thing I do with every other FFG game I buy. I play it first. You know those demo copies of games they send to retailers? That's what introduced me to Mansions of Madness, and it's made me a fan of it from Day 1. It's a shame about some of the later scenarios (Classroom Curses, Silver Tablet, Lost in Time and Space) are either broken or not as cool as they seem to be, but FFG has good stuff.

(I refuse to buy a FFG game before trying it, not because I hate the company, but because the games are expensive, and my board game budget is limited. I am also a M:tG player and a D&D/Pathfinder player.)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
Is there such a thing as Cult of Personality for companies? If so, I wonder what it's called.

Cult of Brand Name?


I'd call it garden-variety fanboyism.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Money
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
*golf clap*


Welcome to the Wiserhood.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT Games. They make great games and deserve to be rewarded for it!

Of course I feel the same about FFG too. Just got T13 expansion, Civ expansion and Rune Wars today! In different boxes. Thanks amazon.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite day of the week has always been Saturday. When I was young, cartoons came on in the morning, and I got to play all day. Sometimes, I got to spend the night at a friend's house, and we stayed up way past our bedtimes to watch Creature Feature movies.

However, three Saturdays ago, I had a bad day, and now that I think of it, there have been a couple of others that just didn't live up to my standard of a day that should be Saturday. Therefore, I refuse to enjoy or support anything that happens on Saturdays. I am need of another favorite day of the week. Will someone please tell me another day of the week for me to support, that will never have any bad things happen during it, and that I can give my undying support to it without any fear of disappointment?

Oh, and my favorite band released a song I don't like, so I have to burn all their records and find a new group to like. A little help with that would also be appreciated...and then there's my wife...devil
22 
 Thumb up
0.07
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Check out the fanmade MoM adventures. Watch out for the caps lock.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chadwick, I think that YouTube clip is possibly one of the most frightening things I've ever seen in my life!!!

I kept waiting for his head to spin round and the pea soup to start flying...gulp

It was a toss up between the way his mouth was moving out of synch with the vocal, his haircut, or his suit, actually!

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
msweazey wrote:
...and then there's my wife...devil


This last one's easy; you should marry a game company instead. I don't know whether it's started dating again, but I understand FFG's recently had a breakup...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrat wrote:
Chadwick, I think that YouTube clip is possibly one of the most frightening things I've ever seen in my life!!!

I kept waiting for his head to spin round and the pea soup to start flying...gulp

It was a toss up between the way his mouth was moving out of synch with the vocal, his haircut, or his suit, actually!



He looks like a cross between Anthony Hopkins as the mad ventriloquist in "Magic" and Kris Kringle in the claymation Christmas films!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
msweazey wrote:
...and then there's my wife...devil


This last one's easy; you should marry a game company instead. I don't know whether it's started dating again, but I understand FFG's recently had a breakup...


Unfortunately, I heard from their last husband that they are unreliable. I'm not picky, but I do have to insist that any future spouses make no mistakes or have any weaknesses.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dariusz Kaminski
Poland
Szamotuły
flag msg tools
badge
"Fools talk, cowards are silent, wise men listen."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Freebird1956 wrote:
devil

Enough is enough. FFG has become a disappointment. As much as I want to throw my money away to FFG, I can not in good faith do it anymore. The mistakes have become bigger and bigger. The lack of playtesting has reached an all time high. I bought Arkham Horror and loved it. I wanted to buy MOM, but the mistakes have killed this game for me. So, with that said, I`m looking for a new gaming company. Any ideas ? I did buy A Touch of Evil from FFP. Good game. Is there any other gaming company that someone would highly recommend? Thats my rant.

Freebird out.


Vader: If you're not with me, then you're my enemy.
Obi-Wan: Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
KingCroc wrote:
I have always hated Cosmic Encounter. I hated it, regardless of who manufactures it. FFG now makes it. I don't hate it any less. Richard Garfield (a designer I generally like) created it and I still finding myself despising it.


Richard Garfield was fourteen when Cosmic Encounter was published, so all in all I think he did a pretty good job.



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incarnadyne wrote:
KingCroc wrote:
I have always hated Cosmic Encounter. I hated it, regardless of who manufactures it. FFG now makes it. I don't hate it any less. Richard Garfield (a designer I generally like) created it and I still finding myself despising it.


Richard Garfield was fourteen when Cosmic Encounter was published, so all in all I think he did a pretty good job.





Whoops. My bad. I believe Garfield really likes Cosmic Encounters, but didn't create it. Thanks for the correction.

Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that I dislike the game. Even if Garfield had designed it at 14, I'd still hate it. I hate the game for its design, not for WHO designed it or WHAT company made it. Which is really the original point that I (and apparently everyone else) made to the original poster.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Brucks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
msweazey wrote:
My favorite day of the week has always been Saturday. When I was young, cartoons came on in the morning, and I got to play all day. Sometimes, I got to spend the night at a friend's house, and we stayed up way past our bedtimes to watch Creature Feature movies.

However, three Saturdays ago, I had a bad day, and now that I think of it, there have been a couple of others that just didn't live up to my standard of a day that should be Saturday. Therefore, I refuse to enjoy or support anything that happens on Saturdays. I am need of another favorite day of the week. Will someone please tell me another day of the week for me to support, that will never have any bad things happen during it, and that I can give my undying support to it without any fear of disappointment?

Oh, and my favorite band released a song I don't like, so I have to burn all their records and find a new group to like. A little help with that would also be appreciated...and then there's my wife...devil


You are my hero. With your masterful use of sarcasm, you perfectly summed up my feelings when I see people post about how "X company is garbage because they make a crap-ton of games and every single one of them isn't perfect".


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There was some dude who claimed that he was done with FFG because Civilization is broken (meaning it's slightly easier to win with currency), at least until they supply him with a free expansion and personalized apology. It made me realize what a pain it must be to run a game company.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
Is there such a thing as Cult of Personality for companies? If so, I wonder what it's called.

Cult of Brand Name?


Perceived Entitlement...cool
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.