Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

A Few Acres of Snow» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Difficulty with generating money as the French rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It never fails. I'm the French and I'm looking at a hand with four pelts but no Trader. (I've stared at 5-pelt hands more than I want to admit.)

Okay, I'm expanding too fast and gumming up my hand. But this situation occurs even when I have both Traders in the game.

I can use the Governer to retire some pelt locations or simply stash them into the reserve to slim the deck. I've even tried Reserving the Trader, but it seems to be more trouble than it's worth. The Intendant never seems to follow the Trader the right way, either—and why I need money!

What do other French players do?

[I take it that a French player could NOT, for example, lay down two Traders with three Pelts and earn 12 coins? (Cribbage players will grok the sort of point-coring combo I'm presenting.)]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:

Don't get another trader
Don't get governor
Don't settle fur locations

Lay siege and buy military. Your money troubles will be over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek McKay
Azerbaijan
APO
msg tools
badge
Is it my turn? Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
BradyLS wrote:

Don't get another trader
Don't get governor

There is truth to this. I played a game last week, where as the French I attacked 1st turn, and tried to keep the siege in the gray as long as possible. Meanwhile, I was trading pelts where I could, while buying a few cards to set my hand up for after the siege was over. I had no real intention of winning the siege, but this seemed to work pretty well for gathering money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Najimbe wrote:
out4blood wrote:
BradyLS wrote:

Don't get another trader
Don't get governor

There is truth to this. I played a game last week, where as the French I attacked 1st turn, and tried to keep the siege in the gray as long as possible. Meanwhile, I was trading pelts where I could, while buying a few cards to set my hand up for after the siege was over. I had no real intention of winning the siege, but this seemed to work pretty well for gathering money.

And you have a free infantry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Who?
Canada
flag msg tools
A variant I would like to try is that the french player could play pelt cards for 1 gold each for an action...with people doing the HH so much the french could build gold reserves by expanding. The last few games of AFAoS as french I don't expand, its allout defence as location cards clog things when you only have two traders in the deck to wait for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get attacked its great. You push all your military cards and ship cards into the siege, prolong it, and milk some $8 or more trader actions (with Home Support).

With the new rules, there deck isnt as efficient, so they might not be able to unstoppably crush you (I hope).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.